The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  2. latheofheaven

That's one reason that, as much as I frigg'n LOVE the group RUSH, their Live stuff has never really appealed to me...

notesofachord and trd like this.
  3. latheofheaven

Awesome, thank you! I am doing that as we 'speak'... :D

US Blues and trd like this.
  4. trd

trd Forum Resident

[​IMG]

5. latheofheaven

Got it, thanks! :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. latheofheaven

Now listen... If I wanted that kind of site, I would ask Archtop... [​IMG]

7. latheofheaven

"I have a right to be a woman; I want to have babies'"

"Well, you can't!"

"You're oppressing me!"

"No, I'm not oppressing you, there is no womb. There's no place for the fetus to gestate"

Any guesses...? :)

KCWhistle likes this.
  8. latheofheaven

I've added BOTH to my list! :D

US Blues likes this.
  9. latheofheaven

Okay, got them all now in Lossless FLAC thanks to you guys, thanks! [​IMG]

Dave's Picks Vol. 10 (2014) {Thelma, LA CA 12-12-69}

Dick's Picks Volume 16 1969

Road Trips Vol. 2, No. 2 {Carousel 2-14-68}

Not to mention, all the grabs from the PNW set AND all the stuff on my list!

I will be listening to this stuff for the rest of my frigg'n LIFE! :yikes:

trd, adamos, Matthew Tate and 5 others like this.
  10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

This is a solid list. I was reading here last night looking for something to put on.
    "The most bat**** crazy set they ever played" caught my eye.
    6/14/68
    I agree wholeheartedly. At first I was thinking it was a shame that it is an Aud recording (and not a spectacular one). Once they got going, the sound (headphones) really put me in the room. I'm not sure that a clean SBD with good stereo separation would have conveyed the power and the insane ferocity of the show.
    Anyway, this is a high energy, very low pH show. Like negative numbers. Caution usually isn't my favorite of the early jam songs, but this is a standout performance.

11. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

I still hadn't gotten around to revisiting the 9/27/72 Dark Star to Cumberland, so that's the current itinerary. Deep space at the moment, but I know they're just taking the long cut. We'll get there eventually.

12. latheofheaven

Oh, and this one even though the sound is not supposed to be that great...

Dick's Picks Volume 22 (2-23&24-1968)

And, Archtop, FWIW, so far I'm just at THE FIRST FRIGG'N SONG! in the PNW set 'Birdsong' P.N.E. Coliseum Vancouver, British Columbia, 1973-06-22 (1973)

It is AWESOME! There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with it, and it is the VERY first song I've listened to in the 13 frigg'n GIGs you guys suggested from that set!!! DAMN! :yikes:

KCWhistle, trd, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  13. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

And with limited time ... Waiting For A Miracle / Simple Twist Of Fate / Senor (Tales Of Yankee Power) / Dear Prudence from JGB/JGB.

trd, Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  14. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I've been thinking about the "anonymous tone" comment...please forgive me, I can't remember who said it (that Garcia's guitars made his tone increasingly anonymous after the early 70s). I don't think this can be correct, as Garcia not just still, but especially, in the 80s is one of the few guitarists I can identify from one or two notes. But I have a sense of what is meant.

In my salad days I used to listen to more 80s Dead than anything and I worshiped Jerry's tone on the Tiger. But it is very clean, I suppose, and even when it's gritted up there is a certain...purity to it? I think it's beautiful, but these days I do prefer his ~1974 tone to anything, although the Alligator is close at times. I think I'm a little confused on this issue. I do love his sound on the Tiger, though.

Right now I'm listening to 1975-09-28 Golden Gate Park...this is the first Bean I think? (Yes MC1000 Bean with Humbuckers according to the Dozin' site) Whatever it is, it sounds great, and it does have more in it than the Tiger...not more character exactly, just more of something? I guess part of the reason I'm confused is that the Tiger is instantly recognizable (as Jerry at least, if not as the Tiger per se) and I love the sound, but there seems to be less contained in the tones as time goes on? Like they're purer or something? I don't know exactly what it is...(MC1000 Bean with Humbuckers according to the Dozin' site)

I actually really love that super pure sound but, as I say, I still like the 1974 sounnd the best. I think the difference has to do with his vibrato too, it was wider or something in the early 70s, wasn't it?

Here's a question--how much do people know about how much in his career, and when, and on what tracks, Jerry is playing Humbuckers, and when single coil? What did he mostly use in each era? To me most of his post-1971 stuff more often sounds more single coil to me, but I know--or it seems anyway--that at various times he was playing through humbuckers...

trd, ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  15. bzfgt

Guesses? You mean this is a quote from somewhere or something, and we should guess where? If so, I have no idea.

ianuaditis and latheofheaven like this.
  16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Jerry tone? Oh man, give me that "Les Paul" model SG through a hot Fender Twin any day of the week:

[​IMG]

The Rick Turner Peanut (as heard in Spring '71) is delicious as well.

[​IMG]

ducksdeluxe, trd, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  17. bzfgt

I'm spinning this now...

latheofheaven likes this.
  18. notesofachord

You sir, speaketh the truth.

19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

This one's readily available at a reasonable price.

[​IMG]
    2 CD set from the early and late shows on 2/11/69 at the Fillmore East. Wonderful Good Ole Grateful Dead with PigPen in fine form!

TRACKLIST

Disc 1 1 Good Morning Little School Girl
    2 Cryptical Envelopment
    3 The Other One
    4 Cryptical Envelopment
    5 Doin' That Rag
    6 I'm A King Bee
    7 Turn On Your Lovelight
    8 Hey Jude

Disc 2
    1 Introduction
    2 Dupree's Diamond Blues
    3 Mountains Of The Moon
    4 Dark Star
    5 St. Stephen
    6 The Eleven
    7 Drums
    8 Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)
    9 Feedback
    10 We Bid You Goodnight

20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Tone certainly has something to do with it, but by about 1971 or so, I can identify him by one or two notes based on the very personal inflection he adds to nearly every note.

Your timeline/discussion also got me to thinking, not so much about Jerry, but about Bobby. In '72 he used a cherry ES 335 (or similar variant) but by some time in '73 (probably Spring or Summer) he changed to an SG. I'm thinking that the larger sound systems and larger venues may have perpetuated this change, as stage levels increased and feedback from the 335 became more difficult to manage. But perhaps he didn't love the SG, as we see him playing another 335 (again, or similar variant) in tobacco sunburst in 1974. Perhaps the feedback-cancelling microphone setups weren't all that favored lack of feedback on stage. Purely speculation on my part.

21. notesofachord

Bobby's tone on those Gibsons and his playing during the deep improvs was never bettered throughout the balance of his career. That being said, his "evolution" of tone/style, kept things interesting as their catalog/setlists evolved. His tone in the '90s was pretty bad I must say. Even his Dead & Co tone is not too hot.

trd, Crispy Rob, DrLunchbox and 2 others like this.
  22. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm not a fan of the Ibanez's (there's a tough contraction to get spot on) in the latter half of the 70s, but his playing is really great on them.

23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Phil is keeping busy next year. Man, I would love to see this.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  24. bzfgt

There is something about Jerry on a Gibson...I'm listening to your guano 6/14/68 right now, and that sound of smooth buttery flow on Lovelight right now is another signature sound of Jerry, but one that was left behind of course...the way he plays a Gibson is amazing, it's great that we don't have to choose between any of this stuff as it's all been archived for us...

25. notesofachord

[​IMG]