The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Sounds like I will be busy! Thanks Bro! :)

2. trd

trd Forum Resident

They’re clearing having a lot of fun, look at those first 7 songs

In The Midnight Hour -> first in 41 shows
    Walking The Dog -> first in 83 shows, 2nd time since 1970
    Big Boss Man First in 10 shows
    Me And My Uncle -> first common rotation song and it grooves just like the others, unique take I think
    Cumberland Blues first in 11 shows and coming out of uncle is not exactly rare but it’s uncommon
    Down In The Bottom -> Bob’s best blues tunes imo, 6th version since 11/84 debut, played 3 more times in 85 and
    I Ain't Superstitious then never again

Even the more standard tunes were interesting
    Althea First in 11 shows
    Tons OfSteel -> 3rd ever
    Supplication jam-> only the second time they’d done it since 1980
    Might As Well

adamos, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I can't really see what it is the one photo that works. I tried searching to see if people typically put wires there or did stuff for damping or something but haven't found anything yet.

4. ianuaditis

That set was one of the first mid-80s tapes I heard. Frog vocals indeed, but a cool set. Imagine it about 2 steps faster! (because of the hi-speed dubbing.)

trd likes this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Oakland is great - definitely encourage you to consider it and hope the gig works out. I don’t make it to the South Bay often but if you make a move this way would be great to meet up in person (and no matter what, would be great to do that at a show anyway).

Wed Phil looking even less likely as due to a mysterious malady our child care situation has suddenly been thrown into chaos. Both my wife and I are lawyers and have a lot going on this week so it is going to be quite a scramble.

budwhite and trd like this.
  6. DoDahman

DoDahman Forum Resident

7/19/89 Alpine Valley is badass....that whole weekend is hot. I want to say Fri (7/17) is the “Downhill From Here” show....7/19 has a MONSTER Morning Dew! One of my favorites!

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and Freebird like this.
  7. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I was trying to pick what my favourite volume from the first year of Dave's Picks is. It should be the '71, '74 or '77 shows...

...but it's this one. It has that crazy setlist thing that was going on in '76, doesn't have that overly-dreamy thing that was going on in '76 and has the Playing sandwich and nifty sequence you posted. I think it doesn't get as much praise as it deserves because the mix is all but mono...but it's a good show. Never boring with lots of twists and turns.

Speaking of '76, I really should give the recent Dave's a try but I'm stuck on Duane-era Allman Brothers at the moment.

LucaB, Jamcoy, KCWhistle and 4 others like this.
  8. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

I need to go back to this 9.24.76 at some point soon (today). I believe at this point in my Dead listening life (which dates back almost 40 years) this may be the peak of my 1976 enjoyment. It was always a year that didn’t have much space in my Dead listening rotation—and I certainly had enough shows (and I really like 12.31.76). But perhaps one of the “lessons” for me of the Dave’s is a new found appreciation of 1976. A big part of that is I love the 76 Orpheum pick. One of the four best of the series for me. But even this recent 1976 pick, I was really really into (glitch in “LIG” and all) from that June 1976 run of shows, which I’d never really dug too much. But this June 76 show was my favorite pick from the current year. I thought the Dicks from September 1976 was only okay, and perhaps over time that filled my enthusiasm for 9.24.76. But with all these strong write-ups on it and my fresh 76 perspectives—I’m ready for a return!

9. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Is it possible to still purchase FlAC’s of the July 78 recordings?

latheofheaven and US Blues like this.
  10. Freebird

5/8/77

Let the St. Stephen > NFA > St. Stephen respark your love affair with this show.

11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I didn't see flacs on the website, just the box itself. Less than 1000 left! (better hurry)

Freebird likes this.
  12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I suspect they are withholding downloads until or if the box sells out?

US Blues and Freebird like this.
  13. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

If you are in the market for a nice Brent show, you could do worse than the boys' first trip to the Frost Amphitheater on October 9, 1982
    [​IMG]

The next night, deservedly, gets a lot of buzz as an early 80s high point, but don't sleep on the warm-up the night before either. Brent sounds really good throughout the night. The first set has a few surprises, including "On the Road Again > BIODTL" and "Dupree's", but my favorite is "TMNS > Deal". Nothing earth shattering, but a lot of solid playing.

Set two opens with (I believe) the West Coast debuts of both "Throwing Stones" and "Touch", a set opening pairing that worked pretty well. From there we get a pretty spirited, if a little fuzzy around the edges (read: sloppy), "Estimated > Eyes". Coming out of "Space" we get the real meat of the show, "Truckin" into a killer, if brief, "TOO" which itself turns into a beautiful "Dew". "OMSN" ends the set proper before the "U.S. Blues" encore.

SteveFff, ianuaditis, adamos and 5 others like this.
  14. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

What a beatiful-looking venue.

15. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

"...In the market" suggests it can be purchased. Under what title and format?

16. Freebird

I was thinking of selling my Portland 74 vinyl to buy the July 78 box. April 78 blew me away last night but I fear that by July they’re an entirely different band.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  17. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

No, sorry, I guess bad choice of words on my part. Maybe I should have just said "If you are looking for"....

I listened to Charlie Miller's transfer of Rango Keshavan's tape on the archive.

US Blues likes this.
  18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

They are quite different by July (more jittery yet maybe even more power when they nail some of the jams) but there are many nuggets to be found within those 5 July shows. I find myself listening often and the sound quality is stunning. I’m a big fan of the 3 officially released shows from May 78 as well. (5/10 & 5/11 via Dick’s 25 & 5/14 from 30 Trips).

Look out for the 1 set 7/1/78 show among all the others.

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

You can buy them here. The Grateful Dead-July 78-FLAC 96kHz24bit Download|Acoustic Sounds
    But I don't think that you should pay this much.
    The files were available on deadnet before(at half the price of acousticsounds) but was taken down so that the box would sell out...

Freebird likes this.
  20. US Blues

They may still be on HDTracks, and if you sign up for email deals you'll often get 15 to 20% off.

Freebird likes this.
  21. DoDahman

DoDahman Forum Resident

4/29/71 is pretty sick....last Filmore East

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Freebird

At almost 300 bucks I’d need some sort of discount. With the physical product just a little over a hundred, that would be my point of entry.

Interesting side note. The whole July ‘78 is streamable on Tidal but not on Apple Music.

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  23. DoDahman

DoDahman Forum Resident

9/25/76 Landover....(Dicks 20) the 2nd set of that is off the chain! St Stephen>NFA>Drums>Jam>St Stephen Sugar Mag....uhhhhh YEAH!!

ianuaditis and latheofheaven like this.
  24. ianuaditis

Finally got to 8-20-87, the @Crispy Rob special. (were you at this one?)

Good show - the last dozen or show 87 shows I listened to were not available in Ultramatrix, after that being the norm for the first half of the year, but this one is, and as usual sounds really good.

In addition to Phils 'whole lotta love' shenanigans at the start of China Cat, somewhere in drums someone (must be Mickey?) keeps playing what sounded to me like 'Any Colour You Like,' then Garcia does a bit of Other One and Weir does a bit of the Spanish Jam before settling on the Wheel.

Garcia was also on the ball in the post drums segment, especially Watchtower>Stella Blue.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  25. US Blues

And the physical product is way cool, great artwork, liner notes, and music!