The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

No. The differences are real - they never performed a song the same way. Each night has a unique feel to each song.

Lucky us.

2. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

Seek out the version from the 26th April :righton:

latheofheaven and warewolf95 like this.
  3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Blessed Be! :pineapple:

4. US Blues

21 June 1971- Chateau d'Herouville, Herouville, France. Summer Solstice. There is a circulating video from French TV that shows much of this show. Snippets are on UToob.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and warewolf95 like this.
  5. US Blues

Spring '78 versions of Sugar Magnolia are uniformly superlative.

6. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Dave’s 30 is 1-2-70 with 1-3-70 bonus disc.

Any background on this show?

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

You’ve gotten lots of good suggestions already, so I’ll just concur on Dick’s Picks 18. That compilation from 3-5 Feb ‘78 will get you a good Estimated Prophet and a nice slice of ‘78, which generally speaking has a rawer vibe that you might like (based on what you’ve been sharing about your preferences).

8. US Blues

After Xmas 1969 they played at Southern Methodist University in Tejas; then off to Hollywood Florida for a gig at a Speedway; then 3 nights in Boston at the Boston Tea Party for New Years.

Our upcoming shows are from the Fillmore East, we get the early and late shows from the 2nd, and 2 hours from the 3rd. The email indicates we'll get Alligator and Dancing In The Street, which are from the 3rd. Setlists courtesy of deadlists.com:

2 January 1970

Early: [59:51] ; Intro (1) [1:05] > Mason's Children [6:09] ; [1:34] ; Casey Jones [4:17] ; [0:12] ; Black Peter [10:41] ; [1:18] ; Mama Tried [2:32] > Hard To Handle [4:43] ; [0:15] ; Cumberland Blues [5:33] ; [0:16] ; Cryptical Envelopment [1:57] > Drums [3:53] > The Other One [10:34] > Cryptical Envelopment [2:04] > Cosmic Charlie [6:46#]

Late: [1:57:55] ; Uncle John's Band [7:19] > High Time [7:06] ; [0:20] ; Dire Wolf [4:12] ; [0:06] % Easy Wind [7:07] ; [0:08] % [0:07] ; China Cat Sunflower [3:07] > Jam [0:31#] > I Know You Rider [#1:38] ; Good Lovin' [1:40] > Drums [0:17] > Good Lovin' [4:44] ; [0:50] ; Me And My Uncle [3:05] ; [1:44] ; Monkey And The Engineer [1:37] ; [1:16] ; Dark Star [30:10#] > Saint Stephen [#4:00] > The Eleven [13:37] > Turn On Your Lovelight.[22:42]

3 January 1970

Early:
    [50:58] ; Morning Dew [8:48] ; [0:15] ; Me And My Uncle [3:00] ; [0:14] ; Hard To Handle [4:00] ; [0:17] ; Cumberland Blues [5:12] ; [0:20] ; Cold Rain And Snow [4:44] ; Alligator [3:48] > Drums [2:07] > Jam [8:41] > Bid You Goodnight Jam [1:04] > Jam [0:25] > Alligator Reprise [1:42] > Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) Jam [0:18] > Feedback [5:25]
    Encore: Uncle John's Band [5:55]

Late: [93:33] ; Casey Jones [#4:02] ; [0:12] ; Mama Tried [2:27] ; [0:20] ; Big Boss Man [4:08] ; [0:36] ; China Cat Sunflower [2:48] > Jam [2:41] > I Know You Rider [4:07] > High Time Tease [0:07] % [0:32] ; Mason's Children [4:55] ; [0:35] ; Cryptical Envelopment [2:01] > Drums [3:29] > The Other One [9:54] > Cryptical Envelopment [4:58] > Cosmic Charlie [6:20] ; [0:55] ; Uncle John's Band [6:08] > Black Peter [8:27] ; [0:12] ; Dire Wolf [3:34] % [0:15] ; Good Lovin' [8:33] ; [0:35] ; Dancing In The Street [5:12] > Drums [1:28] > Dancing In The Street [3:48]
    Encore: Saint Stephen [6:10] > In The Midnight Hour [8:59]

adamos, Ezzie, footlooseman and 5 others like this.
  9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

This alone is worth the price of the Subscription.

10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

When I read the email on my phone this morning...

[​IMG]

KeninDC, Crispy Rob, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It's about time Dave put out something good. If they'd done that as #29 I might've subscribed. :D

12. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

It’s weird that Bid You Goodnight doesn’ End the show on the 3rd.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. ianuaditis

Someone just went a little overboard with the timings on that list, it's instrumental, part of the jam in Alligator (as they frequently played it as the coda to GDTRFB in later years.)

In honor of the upcoming Dave's Pick, I'm listening to 'Promontory Rider' from Garcia Live Volume 1, 3-1-80.

14. US Blues

It's not too late, you can subscribe through tomorrow. :righton:

bzfgt, Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  15. US Blues

I thought about editing the timings out, but that would take too much time! :nyah:

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. ianuaditis

Nah, I will still pass. I only want to pay for the shows I want.
    I panicked when I saw that, 'oh lord they're not breaking it up into tracks like that?' but the timings are useful.

US Blues likes this.
  17. US Blues

If you don't subscribe, you don't get the 3 Jan 1970 bonus disc, with the Alligator, et. al.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Oh yes!

bzfgt and Ezzie like this.
  19. latheofheaven

Yeah, I could hear that. But, what about my impression of the differences (If any) in the performances...?

US Blues likes this.
  20. latheofheaven

Yes, most definitely part of their magic! :agree:

US Blues likes this.
  21. US Blues

Never the same twice. Buy more hard drives.

22. latheofheaven

Hmmm, 5 days later... Interesting...

23. latheofheaven

Heh, very insightful of you mate! :righton: Yeah, I THINK just with this one album, since it was my very first exposure to the GD AND it immediately and subsequently became one of my ALL-TIME favourites, I think that unless there are significant jams associated with songs from this particular album, I pretty much think that I will prefer the polished, orchestral, very specially constructed transcendent magic of the original studio album itself (BTW, the US 1st pressing sounds amazing, and Kevin Gray's later AP release is even better - absolute PURE breathtaking magic!)

BUT... with that said... I think that with just about everything else, I will indeed appreciate the creative Live performances the best. That is definitely what I am finding. About the only other studio album by them that perhaps sets apart as it's own enjoyable entity, is Anthem of the Sun, being the unique construction that it is.

Otherwise, bring on the LOVELY performances!!!

[​IMG]

US Blues and adamos like this.
  24. latheofheaven

LOL! I already have 9, with the last 2 being 6TB & 8TB! :D

25. latheofheaven

Yeah, but the point with this one, at least with me, was that the 1st performance REALLY grabbed me and the 2nd one honestly left me kinda flat. So, I wouldn't be inclined to save / listen to that one. BUT, I really do appreciate, thanks to all of YOU, being able to glean, catalog, select, and grab the very best performances! I collect SO damn much stuff in many Genres, that I absolutely have to be very selective and only collect truly what I want.

Thanks to all of you! [​IMG]

US Blues and bzfgt like this.