The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I've been sampling some late '67 this week:
    - the two officially released tracks from 3 September (Fallout From The Phil Zone, 2001 debut reissue)
    - the Hollywood Bowl AUD from mid September
    - the "27 January" AUD from somewhere in September or October (not including that tracks that are duplicates of 22 October)
    - 22 October (from the 50th Anthem reissue)
    - 10 November (from 30 Trips)

I'll return to "5 May" tomorrow (likely late September-ish) and try 11 November.

This stuff is totally without nuance, restraint or patience...but it is very exciting in small doses. After a while it grates - it's just too insistent and repetitive to be satisfying for me long term but it has been enjoyable acquainting myself with late '67. Who knew that they already had their Quick & The Dead tour sound by late '67?

Another fun part of listening to this era and into early '68 is when you suddenly find yourself listening to something off Anthem. I found that today from about 15:30 into Caution from 10 November - the next few minutes were used during Caution on Anthem. I can see why - it is a thrillingly spooky part of the performance with Pigpen and Jerry's Black Beauty crying out into the night against the drumming.*

*Just on that, the official release says Mickey plays on this but I can't hear a second drummer. I did hear a second drummer on the "27 January" tracks, as lousy as the quality is.

Incidentally, everyone raves about the 10 November Alligator>Caution but I think that "27 January" version smokes it - some terrifying stuff in that, whereas, as solid as the whole 10 November show is, I think that have a touch of red light fever. There is more snap, crackle and pop in the "27 January" stuff.

2. trd

trd Forum Resident

That original version is incredible. I can’t really listen to the Steve Miller Band version anymore. It pales in comparison imo

3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I saw paul as support for Garcia and Saunders at the great American music hall in august of 74 while visiting my brother. I don't recall much but I did enjoy his set. Billy k was drumming that night and I had a chance for a chat between sets.

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Since we were speaking of Franklin's Tower, I want to extend hearty birthday wishes to Ben Franklin, Muhammed Ali, James Earl Jones, Andy Kaufman, Michelle Obama, and the great Robert Fludd. And my mom. :love:

5. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

So, the next Road Trips that Real Gone is releasing is Vol. 3, #4 -- 5/6-7/80. Any thoughts on overall set quality, recording, etc.?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It runs slow, at least in the original version available on streaming sites.

US Blues likes this.
  7. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

"Jack Straw" starts off clunky. Maybe it's the first stanza of the lyrics. I'm OK passing a bottle of wine around, but that's where I draw my sharing line. But it always picks up and gets good. Sometimes real good.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The ending of Half Step is the same chord sequence as Franklin's. Garcia just needed to set a faster tempo for Franklin's.

9. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I knew I could count on you, Arch, to clean up my description!

notesofachord, US Blues and Archtop like this.
  10. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

The kick drum sound, once you hear it, will probably annoy you for the duration of the set. I'm not a huge fan of that release. Not something I come back to often.

STGATX likes this.
  11. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Other One > Wharf Rat...wow. Forget about spacey...the boys were crossing over into entirely new dimensions. Thanks for the recommendation. That's one for the ages.

6/22/73 is up next.

12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

:tiphat:

When you have the time, head over to 23 November 1973- El Paso, TX. There is some serious trans dimensional stuff going on across the river from Ciudad Juarez.

13. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

The 12/8 Other One is where the boys are making those whales giving birth sounds!

[​IMG]

14. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

Been listening on Spotify, can confirm. Feels like early '80s Dead to me. Little slow, Brent's a little plinky, drums are a little thuddy. Probably skip this one.

15. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

Thanks - those "tennis balls in the dryer" drum sounds aren't the worst thing I've ever heard, but it's not great either.

16. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

That poster is AMAZING. Has anyone done a serious GD show flyer coffee table book? I wonder how many more of these one off or local creation posters are worth seeing.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If you're curious about the shows, I think there are audience sources on the Archive at the correct speed (or at least closer) and better mixed.

budwhite likes this.
  18. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Dick's 5 (12/26/1979) -- Seven songs in and Bob Weir is not really my favorite member of the group right now. I now understand the commentary re: his slide playing. And he's just not convincing on something like CC Rider. The cowboy songs are marginally better, but I'm not a fan of the overall sound of the band on those. Good thing the second set looks promising.

I gotta say that listening in order of release is really pretty fun. I'm getting dragged out of my comfort zone with a lot of these, and although I do think I'll eventually go back to listening to groups of releases based on date of performance -- getting the broader context is nice -- this is definitely exposing me to stuff I haven't sought out in the past, and there have been lots of pleasant surprises.

I'm really digging this Friend of the Devil, but I see the copulating street cats are on deck. I actually do like that song, but I'm afraid right now.

19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Oh man, forget that first set. The second set is EPIC.

20. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

The encore is even better than the second set. I bought it based on hearing that on the radio.

KCWhistle and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Listened to the 2017 remaster of the debut album. This really sounds nice. I think it is more pleasant than the 2001 version but that isn’t really a fair comparison as that version is a bit of a mishmash - three or four remixed tracks amongst original mixes whereas the 2017 version is the original stereo mix. It’s a very tasteful stereo mix too. I’ll give the mono a listen this evening.

The album itself is very enjoyable. I disagree with the band’s criticism of the album as not sounding like them at the time. I think it sounds exactly like they did live in the ‘67 tapes I have heard. Fast and furious. It’s only Golden Road that sticks out because it is much more of a production than everything else.

The outtakes from the 2001 reissue are worth a listen. The Lindy and Alice D. Millionaire are pretty dire in my opinion but Tastebud (aside from a fair bit of distortion) and the instrumental Death Don’t are good performances. I think both could have been put on the album (obviously with Jerry recording a lead vocal on Death Don’t) to make it a bit broader stylistically. I guess they and/or the record label were going for something you could dance to.

The “edited” Viola Lee Blues on the 2001 reissue is curious. I can’t hear any edits. It sounds like a totally different take than the LP version. I think they did a short version. The jam goes from 0 to 10 really quickly, unlike the LP version and every live version I have heard. I wonder whether it was a vintage mix or modern mix. If it had ever been intended as a single, which seems likely, it surely would have been mixed in mono but is presented on the reissue in stereo. Very odd. Maybe they tried it out as just another short song for the LP at Hassinger’s suggestion but preferred the longer version.

budwhite, trd, adamos and 5 others like this.
  22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The pre-drums set 2 of 12/26/79 is some of my favorite Grateful Dead music, top 10 easily. Certainly the greatest Estimated break ever (Weir flub notwithstanding).

Mad Dog, trd, KCWhistle and 2 others like this.
  23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

A very nice post, but I can't agree about LSD Millionaire. The Bear-themed pop song is great!

trd, zephyr25, ianuaditis and 4 others like this.
  24. JayB

JayB Senior Member

That 2nd set from 12/26/79 is fantastic. Same with the next night..12/28/79.

trd, bzfgt, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  25. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Nice. Get er in the GD photo spread asap.

budwhite, trd and ianuaditis like this.