The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

Yeah i meant 3/29! I saw the Dead and Co show with Branford and that was one of my absolute favorite Dead and Co shows!

DoDahman and bzfgt like this.
  2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Courtesy of me, FWIW, although I wish they had corrected the speed; it’s about 2% slow

3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I guess Buck Owens would be a sensible other move but I like Merle far better than any of the others.

4. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

One of my favorites incarnations of this band is when they’re having fun. It’s contagious. Good vibes all around.

11-1-85 is one of those shows.

5. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

If you're like me, you may have looked at those '79 stats and wondered about the four Lost Sailors that were out wandering around on their own recognizance. Fortunately, wasn't hard to answer since it was the first four Sailor performances. They went:

> Deal
    > Althea
    standalone
    >Deal

Then it paired with Saint in that song's debut, and that was that.

6. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

30T '79 was on deck for todays pool shootin' sesh. Made it thru all 3 discs. Cape Cod Lobster (Rock 'n) Roll!

7. Freebird

Dicks Picks 21 (11/1/85). Superb recording for headphones. Makes me think the recorder/sound engineer/mixer was wearing headphones and really digging what was happening.

Crispy Rob and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Testify! It's one of the non-extended jam vehicles that I never skip. I'm partial to the version from 9/28/75. Not that it's this big deal, but Jerry plays this inflection-laden, very note dense riff from 5:32-5:40 that oozes everything his playing was ever about. Play that 9 seconds for anyone and you'll find out if they're a Jerry fan.

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, adamos and 3 others like this.
  9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

There were some weird lyrics in those first versions of St.
    Don Rich, guitarist for the Buckaroos, and Tom Brumley on pedal steel were a big influence on Garcia's approach to both instruments.

The Buck Owens ranch show is a good place to see them in action, all of the numbers were shot live, though Rich cuts loose a bit more on the albums, he taught his licks to Brumley so he could sing harmonies with Buck.

10. Freebird

I wonder how often Lost Sailor and Saint Of Circumstance were split with a Drums>Space like it is on 11/1/85 (DP 21).

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. ianuaditis

More Don Rich and the Buckaroos:

The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down - This used to exist in better SQ on Youtube.

trd, DoDahman and Claxton like this.
  12. ianuaditis

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  13. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Definitely a very good show. Garcia is great on Rider, too.

RockRoom, SteveFff and ianuaditis like this.
  14. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I love Lost Sailor and Saint of Circumstance. Even though Bob has so much trouble hitting that "You're a loooooooost sailor" right most of the time.

zephyr25, Freebird and ianuaditis like this.
  15. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

This?

bzfgt and Archtop like this.
  16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Yeah, but you missed the first ~2 seconds of it in that clip. The stuff after what I mentioned on that clip is great too, as Jerry quickly finds the melodic mantra and thus endeth the proceedings.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  17. Musician magazine once featured an interview-conversation with Elvis Costello and Jerry Garcia. Costello mentioned that Garcia's guitar solos often partook of Don Rich's tendency to start on a high note and end on a low one, the exact opposite of the general run of rock guitar solos, which are much more identified with flashy runs up the fretboard neck that end with bending up on the highest notes. Garcia is practically unique for sometimes constructing guitar lines that run in the opposite direction with that Bakersfield country style of playing, particularly for the country cover tunes and ballads. It works well as a narrative technique. Sometimes the ending line with the low notes reminds me of the underlined flourish beneath a fountain pen signature. Calligraphy. Or he'll make a solo statement, and then add a descending line in diminuendo like a vanishing act, clearing the way to open up the rest of the song.

Garcia does play ascending lines as well, of course. And he does sometimes end them with crescendos- like the "Tiger" passage that shows up in Dark Star", or the spiral climb of "Slipknot" (although that one ends with an underline.) Or he uses fanned chords- "Morning Dew", the later versions of "Jack Straw." But as a rule, they don't resemble the usual guitar-hero sprints up the neck. I was just reading an interview the other day where Jerry mentions that he typically doesn't bend the notes at the end of a solo- when he uses bends, he puts them in the middle of his phrases. If you've been paying attention, you know that already.

Crispy Rob, trd, Monroro and 11 others like this.
  18. DoDahman

DoDahman Forum Resident

And THAT is RAD!!

John69 likes this.
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

bzfgt likes this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think that was the only time.

Crispy Rob and Freebird like this.
  21. Mr Bassie

Mr Bassie Back for more

IMO Hank Williams is one of the greatest songwriters of all time, especially considering he died at 29. Get one of his many greatest hits compilations. Guarantee you will recognize some of he songs from other artists. The GD released their cover of You Win Again on Europe ‘72.

DoDahman, Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In 4/22/78 Weir plays a bit of Lost Sailor between songs early in the second set.

23. Mr Bassie

Mr Bassie Back for more

I guess actually you were looking for Bakersfield country, not country in general. I should have paid better attention to what you posted. Sorry.

bzfgt, Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  24. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

I dunno, guys. I've always loved "Lost Sailor" (and "Saint of Circumstance")! Always welcome on any tape.

25. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

I'll have to try that. I listen to a matrix of that show recently and, man, the crowd interaction and the vibe in the room that night was something.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and Freebird like this.