The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I’m going to DSO tonight and tomorrow at the Warfield. The GD played like the GD played it, or as close as I’m going to get. No funny stuff.

2. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

We cutz of your johnson

74-06-30

Heavy 2nd set jam with a long and spacey Eyes of the World

3. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

Funny! I looked over the list and figured I'd skipped over Gov't Mule somewhere... :laugh:. Maybe they're the "more to be announced."

4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Any 74 Eyes is immediately one of the best ever :)

5. warewolf95

Hope you have fun dude! :)

US Blues and wavethatflag like this.
  6. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

One of my most prized material possessions.

Purchased from Bear after the 4/1/90 show in Atlanta - have worn it pretty much every day since.

[​IMG]

7. budwhite

72-08-24

Dark Star.

Yes, three days before Veneta. I hear the connection, if you will

8. wavethatflag

I will now! I’ve got the @warewolf95 stamp of approval going for me, which is nice.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  9. warewolf95

Im Down With Disease right now with an awful flu/cold. Have a blast and make up for that terrible pun for me :D

wavethatflag likes this.
  10. budwhite

71-11-14
    Other one>Me and my uncle>Other one>Wharf rat

This two track recording is amazing and the mix is very out there! A high point from the road trip series and also available on the archives.

Phil n Jerry and Bobby are mixed in 3D, man

11. wavethatflag

Waiting for the time when you can finally say, “This has all been wonderful, but sickness go away.” :D

Then someone off camera throws you a guitar while you’re laid out, and you bust out the DWD guitar solo.o_O

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. budwhite

The other one from 71-11-14 is spectacular, especially the return. Hot damn, saddle up!

13. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Got the new 2/27/77 going. Sounds great

Peggy-O
    Half Step
    standalone Scarlet Begonias

All stellar.

Not as sad to have the sbd missing from the vault when the tape sounds like this

Mansley, adamos, Crispy Rob and 6 others like this.
  14. budwhite

Another great Betty Board 78-07-07 Red Rocks, CO
    Quick comparrison to '71. - '78 is cocaine rock but it's pretty damn... rocking!
    '71 just sounds amazing all over
    At least this one does :tiphat:

Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain.

It gets going. Love the Fire part. Jerry is burning!

15. budwhite

Jerry Garcia Band 1980-02-28 Kean College.

Amazing soundmix! Hot show!
    Don't miss!

16. warewolf95

If only my Marshall worked :p Stupid speaker issue.... :)

wavethatflag likes this.
  17. warewolf95

Ain't that After Midnight? Ill sample it some tonight. Thanks for the tipoff :)

18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The applause after Good Lovin' still cracks me up to hear it; for Good Lovin', no less, not Dark Star or something that would have been really memorable. Then after about 2 minutes of that Phil says "we're just trying to tune up".

adamos, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

@rbbert since you're floating around I was listening to 10-10-76 earlier, the review on the archive said the GD played from a secondary stage in that show, as the openers, after closing the 2nd night.

But Dolgushkin's review in Deadbase says no, they opened both shows.

So is either of those accurate (ie GD opened both shows and/or didn't play from the main stage?)

bzfgt likes this.
  20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Hey Archtop, I have long admired several of the May Sugarees, including Baltimore, and I agree 5/28 has a good case for best. Fortunately for me, I enjoy all of the things you said you're not into, except I agree that I am (and I would have thought I was alone in this) not the biggest fan of 77 NFAs which can feel protracted and pointless.

But, and I'm sure plenty of people here are way ahead of me on this, somehow I had never consciously listened to Sugaree from 1977-10-16 until some time in the past two years (I'm sure my discovery of it is chronicled somewhere in the depths of this thread's back pages), and when I heard it it blew me away, to the extent where I think it's my favorite now. I need to check it again some time, and without smoking anything, to see if I went overboard. But I'd be very curious, if you ever get around to checking it out, to hear your opinion of it.

21. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I wasn’t at those shows, but I do remember that The Who opened and closed the weekend. I don’t remember hearing about a secondary stage.

22. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

ah, one of the comments talked about it being your tape (maybe it was the same one I referenced.)

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. warewolf95

@Archtop

Bruh...

Agree to disagree and all that, but I know youve heard the wonderful Eyes from 5 22 and the incredible ScarFire from 5 21, no?

:p

US Blues and Archtop like this.
  24. bzfgt

It may be the case that they played that wack setlist well on 6/25/94. The thing is, after seeing a ton of shows from 1989-1991 and having preternaturally good fortune at hitting ones where I staggered out with the cosmos blazing in my dilated pupils, in 1992 I came back to a band that had gone limp. I only saw I think 2 shows that year, and they were blah. In 1993 all accounts have them making a comeback, all I saw was Nassau and Vegas in Spring and Summer, and my preternatural luck had gone sideways. There wasn't a cosmos-blazer in the bunch.

So it was after a full year of no shows that I rolled into Vegas in June of 1994. I had not yet been convinced that the band was on a downward turn, I in fact had myself convinced that they had hit a little rough spell but were soon to be blasting out the heavens again. I had not developed a "good for 1994" mentality, in short. The first show I saw after 12 months Deadless was 6/25. The next night, 6/26, has a "good for 1994" reputation. My verdict was that it was an OK show but nothing special, with some special moments of course (as always). I think of it more kindly now, but I was still waiting for The Big Return which never came. And I am someone who sees 89-91 as a good period of the Dead, not as one that requires a "good for 1990" qualifier. I didn't walk out of RFK in 1991 saying "That was acceptable for the latter day." I loved that stuff and still do, although I have become more of an early-70s guy over the past 10 years or so.

So 6/25/94 was a disappointment, and you are correct that even if they had played "Long Way to Go Home>Eternity>Wave to the Wind>Corrina>Easy Answers>Corrina>Wave to the Wind>Eternity>Long Way to Go Home," or whatever it was, to perfection, I must admit that wouldn't have quite done it for me either (although if it was literally that setlist, I guess I'd admire their pluck, and I'd scream a request that they come out of space with Steve Parish coming on to sing a revival of "I Will Take You Home" to put the icing on the cake).

25. bzfgt

Veneta and Manor Downs with the Scarlet>Fire are two really good 1982 shows from a year I'm less familiar with but is either seriously underrated, or I've just listened to a lot of the better ones. And Starlight Theater 8-3.

I won't recommend anything else as that's a lot already. I surprised myself with going right to 1982 as it's probably the year of those I've listened to least, but those immediately came to mind. The consensus used to be that 1981 was the peak of 1980-1985, but I don't think that's the case anymore as it's been a long time since I've heard someone tout the year. Regardless, it is a great year with too many great shows for me to think of what my first three choices would be.

budwhite, Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.