The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

How about, well, "Dirge" then? :D

bzfgt likes this.
  2. warewolf95

Inspired by the discussion I had on here last night, I've sucked it up and completed my '82 collection today - with the exception of ONE stubborn show I can't get seeds anywhere for :p

I'll take it.

Marathon resuming after 18 month break with:

1982-07-27 Morrison, CO

Good looking setlist on this one, it's got heavy competition in the shows surrounding it!

:)

Crispy Rob, Doggiedogma and adamos like this.
  3. warewolf95

7/27/82

WOW! This Jack Straw freaking smokes!!! No chill on this one! :)

Crispy Rob, unravelled and WaterLemon like this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

No, that's the one I'm thinking of (which isn't to say he didn't do it other occasions). I just remembered it was a Road Trip or something, but now that you say that date that's definitely what I was thinking of.

Crispy Rob and Archtop like this.
  5. bzfgt

See Archtop's post, I had the wrong one in mind.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  6. bzfgt

When JGB did it with the reggae chorus in the late 70s it was good, and the reggae bit picked it up a little (I realize that doesn't sound like it'd be good, but it was)

7. warewolf95

7/27/82

Just finishing set 1. Set 2 to follow either later tonight at home or some time tomorrow.

I thoroughly enjoyed this set. It was just what the doctor ordered!

It wasn't any mind-blowing outstanding set, but Jack Straw, Sugaree, On The Road, Peggy O and China>Rider were all major highlights.

Jack Straw and Peggy O in particular.

A "typically hot 1982 first set"

:)

8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That song took on a whole new meaning after Jerry's coma. He certainly was Knocking on Heaven's Door, or at least in a nearby Bardo.

Ran into a rainstorm, dug back into a Bardo...

9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Now you know why Fire on the Mountain drives me up a tree.

PhoffiFozz, Tom H, DrLunchbox and 3 others like this.
  10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

At least Dylan knew to keep it to two and a half minutes.

11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I had asked about that the other day because that's what the top review on the archive for one of the days says (it also said Rob Bertrando made the tape, so two things it got wrong.) But Mike Dolgushkin's review in Deadbase insists the Dead opened both days, and it seems @Panama Hotel was in the building for both nights, so there you have it.

I listened to those two shows over the past couple of days (and 10-14-76 today, probably do 10-15-76 next, though I may switch up to some 87 or 85 instead.) I have both on tape, though 10-10 was a high-gen chipmunk copy and I hadn't spent much time with it. Having listened to both back to back I think I'd have to give the edge to 10-10, at least for the jam, though that could easily change next time around.

budwhite and adamos like this.
  12. warewolf95

7 27 82

This 2nd set is a tad short but holy crap it is MAGICAL!!!

Crispy Rob, bzfgt, WaterLemon and 2 others like this.
  13. warewolf95

7 27 82

The Other One

Anyone know a priest ? I think I need an exorcism.

14. ianuaditis

That's definitely one of my least favorite encores/dylan tunes, though in keeping of my recent practice of not skipping anything, I've found I enjoyed most performances of it far more than I expected to.

15. warewolf95

Neveemind. Stella saved me :)

16. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Damn, I’ve heard this now going on 10 years but the coda to UJB from 5/19/77 is just sick! Not to mention how they kind of invert their way unto it during a Playin jam. Moments like this are why I love the Dead!

DiP 29 may just be my favorite of the entire series.

17. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Red Rocks is magical: The Earth Temple.

18. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Skipping ahead a bit, the Other One from 5/21...what a monster! They explode out of drums and head straight out into cosmic space. But not quiet, aimless space. No, this is just rocketing straight through all time. And about halfway through the intro Jerry seems to find his volume knob and the whole damn thing just heads straight into the sun. And there it simmers.
    :agree:

And then the audacity to fall into one of the all time Comes a Time...

19. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

7/27/82 is my favorite Red Rocks show attended, followed by 9/6/83. Those were the only two years I made it out there, and each of those shows remain real favorites. 7/27/82 is especially sweet, as you’ve just discovered. Great Stella indeed, and one of my favorite China Cat Riders. Nothing like hearing Jerry belt out the “Wish I was a headlight” lines, while immersed in the cool Colorado rain...

Every time these conversations return to complaining about the Boise 83 DaP, I think, “9/6/83 would have been a better choice from that same week.” The Garcia-Weir duo jam out of drums, instead of leading to an early version of Thowing Stones, just melts into one of the better UJB from the 80s. And, I think though haven’t listened to confirm lately, that Jerry remembers at least a few more words of Help on the Way.

Oh, and, while I’m rambling, the GD version of Knockin on Heavens Door? Thumbs up from me.

Crispy Rob, adamos, KCWhistle and 6 others like this.
  20. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

More often than not. It read like a dirge to me and if I want a mellow encore there are other songs I much prefer. Heavens door is just too cliche for me.

US Blues, bzfgt and warewolf95 like this.
  21. ianuaditis

If you feel like rambling, ramble away. That's what this space is all about.

I think that run starting with 9-2 and ending maybe 2 weeks later was definitely one of their stronger stretches after the 70s. That could be a good vein to mine for future Dave's picks (especially if they start to fool around with matrix tapes etc.)

Meantime I'm listening to 10-15-76 at the Shrine Auditorium, the excellent Bertrando audience tape. Just finished Bertha, the first one since the revival (which just happened 3 weeks prior to this show) in the style of 77-78 rather than 74. 10-14 was not outstanding, though there was a fabulous, 1970-style crescendo in the section of the Dancin in the Streets jam that came between Wharf Rat and the chromatic jam and disco reprise.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Mansley, Crispy Rob, adamos and 6 others like this.
  22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Enjoying 10/10/82 Frost Amphitheatre, Palo Alto, CA, this afternoon with a beer
    :cheers:

And I quite enjoy "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" :hide:

23. ianuaditis

I don't think you need that chair, the 'votes' seem to be at least even so far.

10-10-82 was one of the shows I had on cassette for years, definitely a good one (but what time is it in Australia right now? Around 1130 pm on 2/16 on the US East Coast.)

24. warewolf95

I cant be the only one that thinks its BS they cant release more from the 80s and 90s due to "lack of usable/releasable/great material"

Friggin 7 27 82 is official release worthy. Easily.

25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

True — looks even the love/hate for "Knockin'"

It's 15:40 here in Melbourne. Had a lovely Sunday lunch in the pub earlier — back home now chilling with a beer and some tunes.