The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I'm gonna have to check out 27/07/82!

US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

That 2nd set melted my mind. Everyone was playing TOGETHER and gelling hard.

Seriously that Wheel>TOO>Stella has to be heard to be believed.

That TOO literally sounded like 1970 or something.

Short but insane.

Ill have my Idiot Review of the show up on here tomorrow :p

3. DoDahman

DoDahman Forum Resident

No

ianuaditis, warewolf95 and bzfgt like this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I listened to that show a couple of weeks ago and loved it. The AUD/SDB matrix is definitely releasable, especially in comparrison to Boise '83

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  5. budwhite

Love Knockin on Heaven's door and the reggae parts are great!
    There a cool rehearsal version by the Jerry Garcia Band from October '86.
    Straight back from the coma, gives the song another meaning

6. budwhite

It's great that we have members from all over the world, keeping the thread going at every hour of the day. ;)
    It's 10:17 here and time for breakfast and coffee

7. DoDahman

DoDahman Forum Resident

Broke off 4/8/72 tonight at work...VERY nice show! The Dark Star > Sugar Mag segue was really cool and induced a work stoppage for a bit....mission accomplished

8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That individual show, or a 4 CD release (like Dick's Pick #14: 30 Nov + 2 Dec 1973) would make a great release from those 3 Red Rocks shows.

9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

[​IMG]

JRAD was on point last night. Straight fire, no filler.

10. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Uh...that Promised Land from Omaha ‘78. Holy fried chicken liver. How is that even possible?

Crispy Rob, budwhite, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  11. DoDahman

DoDahman Forum Resident

7/27/82.....cover me....I am going in

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and WaterLemon like this.
  12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I like all of this '82 talk. I think I wasn't able to enjoy DaP 27 too much because I couldn't stop thinking why didn't he release some '82 or a number of other years that decade. '83 far more often than not presents itself as fingernails scraping down my chalkboard mind-- I know, I know, it's me not you. Still 1/3 ticked off about it frankly. I will listen to some '82 today to rebalance the cosmic order.

budwhite, US Blues and WaterLemon like this.
  13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I played Red Rocks.

Audience of two but still...

JuanTCB, PhoffiFozz, budwhite and 5 others like this.
  14. DoDahman

DoDahman Forum Resident

Being a worker of the night shift, I am (happily) able to enhance my neighbors perception of me as a freak....
    It is 8 in the morning, about 35 degrees outside, I am barbecuing and drinking beer....and BLASTING the Dead....HAH!!

15. mmthmj

mmthmj Forum Resident

I haven't been able to poke around here much lately but I've done some lurking. I'm absolutely loving the new Dave's Pick. What a scorcher. Sugaree is one of the finest I've ever heard. Playing>Wheel>Playing is fantastic and I can't even sufficiently put my feelings about that Slipknot into words. It's pure cosmic sorcery.

The universe gave me a sign when I was unable to procure Denver Phish tickets at face value. I figured this would be the year I finally go see them, but instead I decided I'm gonna see JRAD as much as possible. Going up to Montana in June to catch them at an amphitheater. Red Rocks in August. Then I just locked in tickets to see them three nights in a row in Texas in September. So much more excited about this than I would have been for Phish.

Anyway, where is all the speculation about 2019 boxes/releases/50th Anniversary Editions??

JRM, Crispy Rob, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  16. warewolf95

7/28/82 Red Rocks #2

An unbelievable Jim Wise FOB recording.

Seek out the opening Shakedown just to hear the 40 seconds or so of inter-taper vulgarity regarding level adjustments. Hilarious. :D

17. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Gear question - in 72-74 (roughly) Phil changes his sound a lot with the various, alembic-installed filters on his basses (both the modified Guild aka Big Brown and the Orange Osage that Alembic made for him aka Mission Control had this feature.)

He played the Alembic bass either exclusively or at least most of the time from c.76-78 yet you don't hear him use the 'philters' practically at all even in space jams. I wonder if they were more specific to the pre-WOS and WOS PAs they were using and not as effective with different setups? I know they played a lot fewer space jams after the hiatus.

PhoffiFozz and budwhite like this.
  18. warewolf95

As previously warned, and because I know you all are clamoring for one (it's been a long time!), here ya go:
    P.S., I apologize in advance...

7/27/82 – Morrison, CA** (MIND FREAKING BLOWING 2nd SET!!!)

A raging Jack Straw gets things started like it's 1991. This one wastes NO time getting right down to business. Normally there is a “transition” phase in the song where it goes from soft to rocking, but not tonight! They guys are straight up ready to ROCK. Good stuff :) And without so much as a pause for breath, Jerry launches us straight into a punchy, uptempo Sugaree.

This Sugaree is just as hot as Straw was. The mood tonight – for now at least – is one of FUN. Just lots of energy and enthusiasm. Around 4:30 or so, Jerry begins a nice little solo and the band follows his lead, ever so slowly and perfectly increasing their intensity from beat to beat. It's real subtle stuff but really cool when you realize it's happenning! Finally after letting the jam marinade for 2 minutes, around 6:30 the gang really let loose. For 30 glorious seconds the volcano erupts and it is glorious. And then it's back to the verses like nothing just happenned.

Eventually it ends and Bobby thanks the weather for not raining upon us and we launch into a spirited On The Road Again. This one really cooks and is more straight-forward, ala Around/Around, compared to its usual....”slightly funky” self. This is now my favorite version – it just rules! :) Whew! What a blistering opening 20 minutes! Just in time to cool us off, Jerry breaks out Roses. This one is great – find me one that isn't – and there's not much else to say than that. Up next is MAMU – nothing to mention here. Same goes for Big River, well, aside from a very nice lengthy solo from Brent.

Now it's time for an out-of-this-world Peggy O. Good lord this one is GORGEOUS!!! Jerry is yanking at my heart strings with his beautiful playing. Seriously, this Peggy O is wonderful. Absolutely the highlight so far of the set – by a WIDE margin. WOW!!! 10/10 Peggy O right here fellas!!!

Time for the Rooster and the ear bleeding...The band is pretty tight on this one but overall it's unimpressive. Just “another hot 82 Rooster”. Thankfully we are spared this time around – surprisingly! - and our ears allowed to hear another day. To close the set we get a rollicking China>Rider. It feels relatively short at only 11 minutes, but it makes use of those minutes pretty well. China is hot and full of energy with some great bursts of soloing throughout. As usual the segue into Rider is completely seamless. There isn't really a transition jam tonight as there is other times, but that's ok. Rider is Rider. It's just a typically hot duo as usual.

Very enjoyable first set!!!

Onwards to set 2, a rocking PITB gets things started right in a big way. At 2:45 it's STRAIGHT into jam mode, but the boys are doing a wonderful job keeping things “organic” instead of heading straight into ambient-insanity. Bobby does some unusual vocal scatting ala Looks Like Rain that is cool and works. Very unique sounding! Brent backs him up throughout. From here Jerry begins the noodle cooking, but he manages to keep his enthusiasm under control working with the band rather than forging ahead solo.

With Brent and the drummers accenting the beats and Bobby and Phil weaving together like magical string masters, Jerry lays his woven wonders atop the bed of magic. :) Ok, that's exaggerating a lot, but this is an excellent PITB and jam. FURREALZ YO! Around 8 minutes things start to...bend sideways a little bit and the jam begins to open up more. The boys work themselves into a frenzy for a couple minutes before killing the jam and moving into Terrapin. But ya know what? The transition is done so perfectly I can't complain.

Wonderful!!!

Terrapin seems exceptionally powerful tonight. Kinda like Jack Straw was earlier – just straight to the point, no subtlety needed. Just WHAM and BAM! This is power, this is Terrapin! And then THAT, the boys segue seamlessly straight back into a PITB jam/reprise.

THAT SEGUE WAS FREAKING AWESOME HOW THE HECK DID THEY DO THAT?!?!?

This post-Terrapin jam is freaking incredible. For 6 minutes the boys let it rip, going in different directions while remaining together as a unit. This is exceptional jamming right here. If there was a 1982 Sampler, this jam would demand to be on it. Incredible. And with that its on to drums and space....

Out of Space we get, again, another WONDERFUL segue into an absolutely MAGICAL Wheel. This sequence and the playing and the vibe...it's just...you gotta hear it to know how great it is. Perfection at its finest. :) Everyone is summoning the best of their playing ability, giving that extra 10 percent that makes you go WOW! And with that, Return Of The Son Of Magical Segues continues as we leave the heavenly confines of The Wheel and smash into the pits of hell with The Other One.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE 1970 OR SOEMTHING HOLY CRAP THIS IS AWESOME!!!! Check out the “intro” jam!!!! Brent on that organ!!! Holy hell this is why I listen to this band. After the verses, Jerry lets it RIP and things get DARK!!!! This totally sounds straight out of 1969 or something.

EVERYONE IS ON FIRE! THIS IS THE DEVILS MUSIC RIGHT HERE! OH LAWD HAVE MERCY ON MY SOUL!!!!!

Thank you lord for not keeping us pent up forever – I couldn't last in the fires much longer. Archangel Stella comes to rescue us from the lake of fire and return us to the wondrous heavens above...Stella takes the beauty of tonight's Wheel and amplifies it by 10. That energy present in Jack Straw and Terrapin returns again and Jerry takes this Stella to level friggin 10.

THIS STELLA BLUE IS THE WORK OF JESUS!!!

For as evil as that TOO was, this Stella is the opposite. Just incredible. Out of Stella, Bobby leads us into the hottest PITB Reprise jam this side of hell. Wonderful. To close this INCENDIARY 2nd set, we get a headbangin' version of US Blues. BREAK YOUR NECK BOYS AND GIRLS! :D A mixed-but-mostly-great 1st set and a OUT OF THIS FREAKING WORLD 2nd set.

Nuff said. :)

19. warewolf95

I'm still blown away by the quality of Mr. Jim Wise's recordings.

They are, hands down, among the best AUDs ever recorded, no?

I'm constantly baffled by people mistaking OBVIOUS audience recordings for soundboards, but Mr. Wise's are probably the only AUD's I've heard that could legitimately go toe-to-toe with a proper SBD.

7/28/82 is no exception. Outstanding recording. How the hell did he do that?!

20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I'd guess it was more a taste thing where he wanted it to be straighter/consistent with what they were doing. I'd also pose a guess that he was more stereo/quad earlier, and in this '77 interview: Phil Lesh In it he said he had a mono setup at the time; maybe that added to downplaying the types of filter effects you note.

Maybe you can gather something from here:

21. warewolf95

7/28/82

Welp, I think I just heard the hottest first set ever played in terms of "rocking" and "energy".

The boys let it RIP from the first notes of Shakedown all the way through the Deal closer.

If you want a first set to ROCK to, this should be your first stop.

Holy hell.

22. budwhite

You sir, are a fun citizen.
    Let the freak flag fly brother!

DoDahman, Crispy Rob, adamos and 2 others like this.
  23. budwhite

In the Dave's Picks thread. Check out the last pages

mmthmj and warewolf95 like this.
  24. budwhite

Check out Wise's recording of 80-11-29. Or even better, the one made by Stankiewicz.
    Great show, amazing recordings!!

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  25. warewolf95

Thanks for the tipoff - I'm actually working on my 1980 collection today! :p

I'm a SBD guy usually - I care about what presents the music in the best quality - but listening to the early 80s is always a great chance for to dive into the land of AUD's.

Incredible the quality some of those guys pulled off....

budwhite likes this.