The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Bigvin68

Bigvin68 Well-Known Member

Yeah that’s in my top 10 of best shows, fantastic start to finish

warewolf95, Spadeygrove and wlove2372 like this.
  2. Bigvin68

Bigvin68 Well-Known Member

I have to admit I should check more shows from 82-85 but have a hard time for some reason, if I had to put years in order I guess it would go something like this, 72,77,73,74,71,76,78,89,90,70,91,69,79,80,81....close enough

bzfgt likes this.
  3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

The worst part of that dream (nightmare) setlist would be I Will Take You Home.

warewolf95 and bzfgt like this.
  4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

LOL not a lot of guitar shots in the first few minutes of that video.

bzfgt likes this.
  5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Where is "We Can Run"?

Six Bachelors and warewolf95 like this.
  6. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Oof, he guesses Jerry's in his late 50s in 1987...that's what I would have guessed too if I didn't know he was 45.

7. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

3/20/77.. I am really loving this show so far. The first set is filled with places to shine. Cassidy got a bit nuts. Peggy is a bit tentative, which, whether intentional or not, adds something to this rendering. In the solo, Garcia is often digging for gold where none exists. Really a great solo, taking it to another level.

8. <memorable show. iwt :nauga:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  9. Six Bachelors

...it does but doesn’t that release run slightly fast?

In other words, Plangent is great but, if I may so, it is not a guarantee of uniform improvement over previously circulating versions (not that you said it was.)

ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  10. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Actually, the jam into NFA that night features an almost cruel St. Stephen tease. It always seemed to me that Garcia was just riffing away, not intending to toy with that tune. Once the crowd started to erupt— in this era, breakouts from the psychedelic era were scarce, but highly desired— Jerry quickly steered the band into NFA. At the time, I gotta admit my reaction after the Fade Away, when JG did indeed start up Black Peter, was pretty much like what you wrote!

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Yes, but the sound quality otherwise is excellent.

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

DaP 25 Albuquerque 11/17/71. The boys clearly took that left turn at Albuquerque. After listening to 11/14 and 11/15/71 earlier this week, loving the playing and sound (Phil's bass sound is fantastic on this tour), I decided to continue on with more from this period. I enjoyed this one when it arrived last year, but forgot how good it was. The Big Railroad Blues (and everything else, pretty much) smoked, the Jack Straw featured phenomenal playing from Garcia, the still short-ish Playing in the Band packed a helluva punch, etc. Easily the best release of the 2018 DaP series, even if it's annoying how the bonus show was tossed around like a salad.

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I swear I hadn't read upthread where a couple other folks were spinning 11/17/71 when I wrote that. I think this pick got a blah reaction because they'd just put out the lackluster Felt Forum release from around the same time period as part of the previous year's batch (making it two late '71 subscription bonus discs overall), but this release is head and shoulders better than that one.

14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The Playing In The Band > Uncle John's Band > Playing In The Band from Springfield '74 is utterly phenomenal. Jerry (the guitarist, not the Gort) is digging the glory so hard on the PITB reprise he fakes out the rest of the band, who think he's about the end the tune, and keeps riffing hard. And that is just the end of set 1.

Dave passed on making this an official release, but happily he gave the 20 bit transfer to Charlie to share with us. This one is mandatory.

15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Same here. And 1972 is a year where 3/4 of the gigs could be on such a list! :p

I always think of 9 17 as its sister show. I really need to revisit that one...

Crispy Rob likes this.
  16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I just checked and I have my CD rip being just a slight bit fast. Nothing at all egregious or even barely noticeable without a tangible reference at hand. But point taken; Plangent isn't necessarily a solution to every issue.

Six Bachelors and US Blues like this.
  17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Playing In the Band

June 16, 1974.

18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

16 June?

19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Huh?

;)

US Blues likes this.
  20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yeah, I went both nights. They played 2-16-82, which was actually played at the Warfield, and the night before was a made-up setlist that included two Jerry tunes, Like A Road and Reuben & Cherise.

Really good crowd and a good mix of people from kinda really young to super old. :D This music lives!

I hadn't seen DSO in like three years, so I was due for two.

edit: Actually I got that wrong, I saw them in 2017 at the U.C. Theatre.

Also, GA was packed last night. The floor in front of the stage was absolutely packed, and the the rest of GA was crowded. I think they oversold GA floor, or maybe people were sneaking down. Friday was still a full house, but there was more space on the floor than last night.

adamos, US Blues, Doggiedogma and 3 others like this.
  21. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

True, Cow Palace kills it in the sound quality department. Quite a fine, and very different show too! I got this pretty early on in my Dead discovery. Believe I only had DiP 4, Hundred Year Hall and One from the Vault. Great, laid back Bertha to kick things off, really psychedelic Playin, great Help > Slip and a very pretty Eyes that I wish went on another 10 minutes. Oh, and my absolute favorite Wharf Rat based on the “life I’ve been livings no good...” section which is just gorgeous here.

22. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Listening to that one now (well, the pre-Fm I found on the Archive not the official release which I don't have.)

A fitting end to 76, which is a really good year. I haven't found the more relaxed pace a detriment at all, the jams definitely got to some crazy places, including Playin in the Band and Slipknot! on this night.

For any who care about such things, this seems to be the first time they played Help on the Way and Slipknot! but not Franklin's tower, which they would only do again one other time, on 9-20-91, when they did Help on the Way>Slipknot!>Fire on the Mountain. Also the return of Uncle John's Band and We Bid You Goodnight (It still seems so odd to me that they went all of 78 and most of 79 without playing UJB, and that it had been on the shelf for two stretches of 40 shows+ in 72-74. Maybe they didn't like to sing it back then, they certainly wore it out throughout the 80s-90s.)

heathen, adamos, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Returning to this great old school second set at Red Rocks July 27 1982. Matrix done by sirmick.

Playin' In The Band-> Terrapin Station->Playin in the band jam-> Drums-> The Wheel-> The Other One-> Stella Blue-> Playin' In The Band, E: U.S. Blues

24. Six Bachelors

...as is the music. One of my favourite Dead shows.

As the ‘73 shows on the Pacific North West box demonstrate.

The Cow Palace official release definitely doesn’t have any of that “hmmm, this isn’t quite right” feel that some other off speed official releases have. Love just about everything about that release - Help and Slipknot without Franklin’s? Yes thank you.

...don’t forget the Dew!