The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. DoDahman

DoDahman Forum Resident

Oh....it was a FLAPPIN’ !!

mmthmj and US Blues like this.
  2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

However, it can be a solution to the speed/pitch problem if that is specifically addressed, and the issue of Plangent and speed correction has already been discussed at some length.

Six Bachelors, Archtop and US Blues like this.
  3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

28 September 1975- Lindley Meadows. This show featured Help > Slipknot!, with Franklin's Tower appearing later in the set.

4. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

It must be from a different venue, year - due to the guitar being played. The way the plaque reads, though, makes it appear that the picture was from 5.12.77 -- underneath the 5.12.77 date, it states 'also played:' and it list all the other dates.
    Really no big deal, I guess. I saw a few other shows there and never noticed the picture before - it was nice to see.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    ianuaditis likes this.
  5. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Please note that Cow Palace New Years Eve is currently not available through streaming services.

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Hey you’re right, never noticed that. Kind of strange since it’s not an exclusive or limited edition release. Regardless, going to give this another listen thanks to this thread!

ianuaditis and Freebird like this.
  7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That's not what I mean though, they did play Franklin's Tower a couple of songs later on 9-28-75, that was a broken string or some such, and then the guy sitting in was ready to go, so they played a song or two with him etc. They didn't play it at all on 12-31. On 6-9-76 Franklin's Tower was played as the encore without H>S.

Regarding 12-31, they had played Franklin's Tower but not H>S at their previous show on 10-15, where it showed up as one of the last songs in the night's big jam. And though it was more than 2 months earlier, the symmetry of not playing it in the following show seems too perfect to be coincidental.

It's one of those random oddities of the GD that they evidently considered Franklin's Tower completely detachable, but almost never played Help on the Way and Slipknot (which had much more obviously open-ended nature) without playing Franklin's after it.

8. US Blues

Gotcha.

trd, warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  9. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Just fired up that Cow Palace show for my workday listening.

I'm here for the 12/31/76 gangbang.

warewolf95, ianuaditis and Freebird like this.
  10. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

Love 04/18/71, especially the ferocious 24 minute Good Lovin' including eight minute drums and long jam.
    Nice SBD. Pig sounded energetic that night with his long inprov "story".

11. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I LOVE my Complete Pacific Northwest '73 - '74 19 CD box set, but have really been digging the Believe It If You Need It 3 CD comp. The track selection is great and it flows really well and hits many of the highlights of the bigger box. The music is, of course, peak Grateful Dead.

12. US Blues

17 February 1979- Rock For Life Benefit to End Environmental Cancer, Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena. Keith & Donna's final performance in the Grateful Dead. New xfer from the usual suspects.

After Donna left the January Tour the GD met and it was mutually decided that K & D would leave the band. Now, while the exact timing of this event has never been clearly ascertained, the music performed by the band in February of 1979 suggests the meeting occurred before this tour. Not only was the band more free spirited, there were notable breakouts of old chestnuts, including the long AWOL China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider.

This show was the last performance with the young couple, and the strong setlist and performance by the band are a fitting farewell. To my ear Donna gets choked up singing From The Heart of Me, a personal farewell to us fans.

To me this is the last show before the rest of the bands career begins anew with Brent. In my experience the energy of the band changes after this show, beyond the performing style and abilities of the players, K & D were the bring from the Pigpen band to the modern era of the Grateful Dead. Not one of the greatest shows of all time (nothing holds a candle to Cornell :crazy: ), it is an historic show. Best of all, this new transfer (SBD cassette > reel > reel) is the best sounding version of this show to date (IMHO), and a very enjoyable listen for its significance.

Enjoy!

13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Thanks for the info. Never a great sounding show. I'll take any upgrade there is

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  14. ianuaditis

I thought this was an excellent show when I first heard it, though I was waaaay under the influence (I remember listening to the tape later and saying 'what happened to the Dark Star I swore I heard?')

Subsequent visits have not disabused me of that notion - Greatest Story! The Wheel! where had those tunes all been?

Puts the lie to the old saw 'they always blow the big ones.'

15. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Yeah. I have the box, of course, but the comp seemed like an ultra high-density slab o' Dead to carry around on my iPhone, so I bought the iTunes download. I have played the hell out of it, it just hops from strength to strength. It could be thought of as the the ultimate 'Road Trips' release.

warewolf95, trd, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  16. ianuaditis

Cleaning out the basement, I just found my shillelagh. Where were we needed again?

warewolf95, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  17. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

While she did have her rough moments (who hasn't?), overall I think Donna was a great part of the group. It may be fun to talk **** about her sometimes, but on the balance I'm glad she was there and even more glad that she's still around.

Listening to 4/14/71 for no particular reason. So far so good.

ETA: It's a shame the Dead didn't do Second That Emotion more.

18. jcure

jcure Forum Resident

Thought you all would appreciate this one. I was browsing through eBay yesterday when I came across a most unusual listing - not going to link it here in case it runs afoul of any rules - but it's amazingly still up.

In short, it is a copy of Harrington Street...autographed by Jerry Garcia. Yep, apparently, the man himself came down from the heavens to sign this book. The seller even shows a picture of one of the forewards dated November 1995. Figured I would ping them and let them know that his/her confusion seems to stem from the embossed signature on the cover. No problem, right? Wrong. The seller doubled down saying that his in-laws were friends with Jerry. Can't make this up folks.

19. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

[​IMG]

warewolf95 and US Blues like this.
  20. US Blues

Dude, you don't have the version with Dark Star?!? :p

Key songs disappeared from the setlist due to Jerry's stubborn (Sun sign Leo) nature.

budwhite and trd like this.
  21. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

UGH

Today has been a ripcord whirlwind.

Land a gig with a company only to be told - after 3 hours on the phone - while planning our drug tests that the position that opened for us had gotten filled in that time....

Excitement became disappointment. :(

Now it turns to anxiety again because they call us back with another position and we have the job!

Regional team driving in the South.

I say anxiety though because for some reason every time we get the news we are going back out, I freak out internally even though I know it's totally cool.

So, basically, we got a job to hold us over until we get our 2002 Volvo paid off (which will allow us to be independent.)

Looks like 1982 has to be put on hold again! :p

hyde park, DoDahman, adamos and 7 others like this.
  22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This is good to hear...I didn't spring for the box (yet!) but purchased the "comp." It's in a pile right now waiting to be listened to. I am currently trying to get through the Get Shown The Light box. That band was at the height of their powers spring 77' - good Lord.

23. US Blues

Congrats on getting the gig.

Hey now get back truckin' on!

24. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Thanks! :)

Yea, I'm just trying to calm down, lol. I don't know why but this happens every time. As soon as we are in the truck and rolling im in the zone, but it's all the lead up to the fact that my "daily life" is about to be completely destroyed :p

GuidedByJonO))) and US Blues like this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I seem to remember the JGMF blog stated that "the meeting" took place 3/1/79, but after Donna skipped the final January shows, I'm sure they all knew something was going to happen in that break after February 17.

Edit: it was the Lost Live Dead blog that mentioned that. Lost Live Dead: Jerry Garcia>1978>Keyboards (Jerry Garcia-Bandleader)