The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Almost makes me wish I hadn't already bought my Deadbase50.

talkingleaf and warewolf95 like this.
  2. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

True. Even John Cippolina can’t save the lethargy of that NFA jam.

Panama Hotel and uzn007 like this.
  3. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

John Molo, Benmont Tench & John Scofield are playing with him at Capital Theatre next month. I have no history of seeing the Phil bands from 1998 through 2006 or whenever so I have little to compare what I’ve seen & heard live but I’ll repeat that especially the last show (11/2/18) was great. As far as musicianship I think I’ve got different ears (not better but different) but the musicians I’ve seen with him are far from amateurs. I’ve seen a whole bunch of world class improvisors - and I’m especially fond of seeing great drummers & horn players / and although the guys in Phil’s Family band are not in that class neither is even Joe Russo as great as he is. But Scofield & Herring are both great and they playing in 2 of the 3 shows I saw. Plus I think you all are dead wrong about Ross James.

4. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Forgive my ignorance, but would the earlier editions be redundant of the most recent edition?

5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Nothing wrong with that lineup.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  6. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

No, the yearbooks contain full stats timings reviews and photos specific to that year. Full editions contain up to that years stats and best of reviews.
    50 is garbage, they took a bunch a notes from post gd years with messy fonts and xeroxed copies to cram in front of db11. 9 and 11 are good as they contain garciabase as well. X is nice for a compact reference but misses Garcia base.
    If I could pick only one it would be 11 and the yearbooks. Second choice would be 9. Db50 is so cumbersome it’s useless. ESP since the updates aren’t integrated into the timeline it’s pointless to own​

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and heathen like this.
  7. Phil played two nights with John Scofield a month ago. One of the guitarists was a member of the TFB. The drummer was Tony Leone of Chris Robinson Brotherhood, the other guitarist was Scott Metzger of JRAD, and keyboards/violin were by Jason Crosby, who has a fat resume.

If Phil likes using his son's band sometimes and he takes them on the road, that's fine with me.

For some perspective, the vast majority of Chuck Berry's touring career pretty much consisted of him showing up in town solo, to play his songs with a different group of hired musicians in every town on his itinerary. And then often changing his song arrangements and the keys they were played in, sometimes mid-song. Which must have made for a hit or miss affair, more than sometimes.

Heh heh, it might be an interesting experiment for Phil to try that a few times.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Phoenician, budwhite and jazz_case like this.
  8. It's okay to be critical. But when speaking of someone who's still performing onstage at age 78, offering a conjecture of "laziness" is maybe a bit much.

9. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

You should! The 11/18/72 PITB is to 11/15/72 as Jupiter is to Saturn.

There should be a website where all the Dead's songs are conveniently listed by running-times! For listeners looking for, say, the longest I Fought The Law....

10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'm still bummed that tapes (or any definitive proof at all) has surfaced for that 4th night at Rosemont Horizon in '89 when they played the 24-minute "Man Smart" into "Drums". My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard about it from from this guy who knows this kid who's going with this girl who swears it was the hottest set of the tour.

US Blues likes this.
  11. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Fwiw during the 9/6/18 show Jason played a violin solo on Cumberland and it was so great the place was going crazy!!!!

US Blues and jazz_case like this.
  12. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

In the recent (23rd January) Phil & Friends with Scofield/Metzger/Crosby gig that was mentioned up thread, Jason played a fiddle part on the version of "Me & My Uncle" that really stood out.

Stood out like no other version of the most-played-GD-songbook-entry I've ever heard, in fact. Hard to believe that was possible, but it happened.

US Blues likes this.
  13. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Add this one, the recently uploaded Beat Club footage from 1972 (part 1 of 4):

uzn007, Crispy Rob, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  14. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Im in full on KISS mode right now and I need to finish the darn trilogy before I dont feel like the Dead anymore :p

Great write up :)

I always forget that CF was a total rarity for a long time.

I loved Night 1, liked a lot of Night 2, I wonder how Night 3 stacks up

WaterLemon and US Blues like this.
  15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Offhand I forget, but isnt Portland or Seattle 74 the giant 40 minute one?

ALL HAIL THE THREAD STARTER! :D

US Blues and DoDahman like this.
  16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yup. Better than the movie, because there's no talking.

uzn007, KCWhistle and US Blues like this.
  17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Not great, but it's better on video where you can see the band interacting with the guests. Greg Errico is stuck on timbales all through it and you can see Bill let Greg play his drums on Around and Around, which was nice of Bill.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  18. DoDahman

DoDahman Forum Resident

Here’s one for ya....a while back someone mentioned So Glad You Made It ‘90 4 disc vinyl from Amazon Canada for like 45 or 50 bucks. I pre ordered thinking “SCORE!!” Just got an email from them....DENIED......we mispriced that, and aren’t going to sell it to you for that.....it’s now 150ish CAD of you still want it.

Which doesn’t suck, but I like the original deal better!

ianuaditis, KCWhistle and US Blues like this.
  19. DoDahman

DoDahman Forum Resident

S
    Sleep?? WTF IS Sleep?

US Blues likes this.
  20. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

She swings enough...:cool:

DrLunchbox and Lefty Wright like this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Da Fuq?! People are getting down on Phil for wanting to make music with this kid?!

[​IMG]

The signal-to-noise ratio has gotten funky in here, more noise than signal.

Billy_Sunday, JNTEX, Ezzie and 4 others like this.
  22. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Digging Dave's Vol. 29.

23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Non Sequitur

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Yep. Got the same email, complained vociferously in an online chat to a customer service rep (knowing full well it was a version of me vs 'the man'), and then, with a shrug, got on with my evening.

unravelled and DoDahman like this.
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

30 August 1978- Red Rocks. A fresh transfer of Mark Severson's AUD using his own microphones for set one, then patched out of Barry Glassberg for set 2.

Right now I am deep into a 21+ minute Sugaree from the opening frame, this band is in no hurry whatsoever, and yet they are making exceptional progress.