The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Like ‘em both, should never be separated. “Saint” never quite sounded right to me when played by itself. Needs the build up from “Sailor” leading into it.

And I will throw stones (Verbally, at least) at anyone throwing stones at “Throwing Stones.” Always been a favorite of mine.

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I like all the official Summer '71 stuff, and all the un-official Summer '71 stuff as well. Well, Dick's 35 and Road Trips Summer '71 are the 2 official releases and both worthy of being heard, repeatedly.

3. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

For all that I own, stream, download etc. I’ve never jumped into the road trips series... looks like I am missing out. Can anyone recommend a good one to start with. I’ve been immersed in E72 box and jumping around the PNW box.

trd and STGATX like this.
  4. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I was listening to the end of 6/24/85 (30TATS) this morning at the gym. During Good Lovin' Bobby starts talking about how crazy the world is. I was thinking, initially, "hey, this actually holds up well." Then his 'rap' kinda just fizzled and then I thought, "wow, Pigpen was MUCH better at this"....

5. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Look no further than 15 November ‘71 (Volume 3,2 as I recall).

6. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Especially that Road Trips, for me. That 2nd disc :edthumbs:

7. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

5/4/72 - Paris

Started yesterday afternoon but only made it through "Good Lovin." These E72 shows are marathons! Literally. This one is 3:33 and I've run one in 3:42. If I'm ever foolish enough to run one again, I guess I can just have 4/26, 5/7, or 5/11 on my mp3 player and likely be covered for the whole thing.

Anyway, it's interesting that a 23 minute Good Lovin with Pigpen feels short to me compared to the 7 minute versions with Bobby from '78.

Now onto the rest of the second set...

8. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Can't have just one!

RT 1.2 covers four October 77 shows and is non-stop fantastic. This one's pretty easy to find with the bonus disc, which is indispensable.

RT 2.2 is 2/14/68 with bonus material mostly from January of that year. Get three Dark Stars that, combined, are still shorter than your average version from E72! Bonus discs may be scarcer, but I've seen them around.

RT 2.3 is derived from 6/16 and 6/18/74. What do you think of when you think of the WOS? China>Rider, Eyes, PITB, Truckin', The Other One, WRS... they're all here. The bonus disc should not be missed, although it may be an investment.

RT 3.2 is 11/15/71 with bonus material from 11/14. Pairs nicely with Dave's 26 (11/17). If you're into song-oriented GD, this is wonderful.

RT 4.3 is 11/21/73 with filler from the night before. CLASSIC fall 73 Dead, which maaaaay be my favorite two-month period. The bonus disc is great but I advise* printing your own money first.

RT 4.5 is 6/9/76 with filler from three nights later. Back from the hiatus with some new additions to the repertoire, as well as some old favorites returning to the mix (St. Stephen!)

My biases are evident in terms of the recording dates presented here, and virtually all of the rest I've just not heard yet, but I've honestly found all of these to be excellent releases. I'm in the camp that wishes they'd stuck with the compilation-style approach of the first couple releases in the series. The October 77 set could be the model for a great series if they ever decide to deviate from full shows and only full shows.

*I am not an attorney. Although others here are!

9. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

[​IMG]

10. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

RT Vol. 1 No. 2 (Fall '77) is still available at Dead.net for $19.98. And I'll bet you get a bonus disc included with that, most folks have. Here's the link for the 77 shows:
    Road Trips Vol. 1 No. 2: October 1977

I've been getting the Real Gone Records re-issued Road Trips sets and I've enjoyed all of them. Real Gone is reissuing in reverse order and it's pretty easy to find those. They're not cheap, but here's the link.
    CD

Spotify has all of the RT's as one collection called "Complete Road Trips" if you want to try before you buy...

11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Budwhite approves!

12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

November 14 has my favorite 1971 The Other One!

It's on the bonus disc(show is also available for free on the archives etc).
    25 min excellent jamming, with Me and my uncle thrown in the middle to great effect.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

14. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Disc 1

1. Mason’s Children [6:12]

2. Casey Jones [4:28]

3. Black Peter [12:21]

4. Mama Tried [2:29]

5. Hard To Handle [5:02]

6. Cumberland Blues [5:42]

7. That’s It For The Other One [18:19]

I. Cryptical Envelopment (I) [2:03]

II. Drums [3:58]

III. The Other One [10:07]

IV. Cryptical Envelopment (II) [2:00]

8. Cosmic Charlie [7:06]

9. Uncle John’s Band [7:24]

10. High Time [7:22]

Disc 2

1. Dire Wolf [4:43]

2. Easy Wind [7:49]

3. China Cat Sunflower [4:47]

4. I Know You Rider [4:12]

5. Good Lovin’ [7:24]

6. Me And My Uncle [4:33]

7. Monkey And The Engineer [1:54]

8. Morning Dew [10:00]

9. Big Boss Man [4:24]

10. Dancing In The Street [10:50]

11. St. Stephen [6:14]

12. In The Midnight Hour[9:31]

Disc 3

1. Dark Star [32:12]

2. St. Stephen [9:16]

3. The Eleven [10:28]

4. Turn On Your Lovelight [22:50]

anth67, US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That 3rd disc is stout.

PS- Now if they'd dredge up the 17 Jan 1970 show from Corvallis, OR., we'd have another stout disc of similar composition.

16. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Now they want to sell me a graphic novel in order to get unreleased early Dead recording(s) I see :sweating:That is something I don't love.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  17. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

WOW! Thanks so much for the info @KCWhistle Gonna look into these starting now.

I don't follow?

KCWhistle likes this.
  18. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Grateful Dead Graphic Novel Announced
    An illustrated history of their early years will be accompanied by unreleased Dead recording

Grateful Dead are the subject of a forthcoming graphic novel that chronicles their early years. Grateful Dead Origins, written by Chris Miskiewicz and illustrated by Noah Van Sciver, is due out in early 2020 via Z2 Comics. Check out the covers of the standard and deluxe editions below.

The standard edition will come with a download featuring the Dead’s early music as a companion to the book. The limited hardcover deluxe edition will feature unreleased prints, autographs from the graphic novel’s creators, and early Dead music on vinyl.

Grateful Dead Graphic Novel Announced

RiRiIII and nfmboss666 like this.
  19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

2019 bonus disc art on a t-shirt:

[​IMG]

20. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

This feels familiar...
    [​IMG]

21. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Should I get the RSD release of The Warfield, San Francisco, 10/9/80 & 10/10/80?

I haven't got any 80's live material. Is this considered essential stuff?

22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Yes, the 1980 acoustic sets are essential, but
    you could probably do with the extended version of Reckoning. That plus the archive is enough (for me).

KCWhistle, budwhite, Goggen and 2 others like this.
  23. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

24. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

Is this the variety that Dave mentioned in the Seaside chat from today? Because I'm not a vinyl guy and I'm not a big graphic novel guy either. That wouldn't bode well for the rest of the "variety" for this year...

25. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Dave assured me by the end of the year they will release November 5-6-7-8, 1970 complete, from newly discovered SBD reels found under the backseat of Bobby's Airstream trailer.

[​IMG]

hoggydoggy, US Blues, Kevin55 and 3 others like this.