The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

One of the greatest shows I’ve ever heard:)

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

That Would Be Something!

Lovely. That McCartney solo debut has always been a favorite of mine.

3. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

These were both what I had in my mind! thanks!

Just listened to this the other day. It is top notch!

Billy_Sunday, budwhite and US Blues like this.
  4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Check out some shows from October of 94, good stuff from Vinny on those too.

I'm in the middle of 10-14 set 2. Though I'd say the peak of 10-14 was higher with that Scarlet>Fire, I think the show I saw 10-15 was a better setlist overall (this one has Looks Like Rain, Samba in the Rain and Corrina back to back (though they are good performances of each.)

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That release has gotten a lot of good vibes hereabouts. At least from me, it's a monumental collection of music. The Not Fade Away is epic. And the collection is missing one of the best parts of the run as the second set of 11 September 1974 is AWOL.

Edit: Well, @Archtop has waxed poetic about the NFA, and likely @Dahabenzapple as well.

6. US Blues

When Dave saw that tape come back to the Vault he put it in the front of the line for release. For all the grief we give him, he KNOWS.

7. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

12-18-73

WRS > Dark Star > Drums > Eyes > Wharf > Sugar

Yowza! Incredible

And all of that on a Tuesday? Woah

8. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Crazy that we only have 3 complete & proper retail 1970 Acoustic Sets.....and now 2 from 1980. Or am i missing something?

Matthew Tate, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  9. US Blues

Some incomplete acoustic sets from 1970, plus a beautifully recorded 2 CD compilation from 1980. We're doing well for a bunch of freaks. :bdance:

10. ianuaditis

Thanks for that first one, last year I read through a bunch of pages on his site trying to find that.

He should've put that one in a box and let the RFK 89 be the Dave's Pick :rant:

11. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

5/2/70.

Good Lovin'
    Cold Rain and Snow
    It's A Man's World
    Dancing In The Streets
    Morning Dew
    Viola Lee Blues
    Good Night
    :bigeek:

12. notesofachord

[​IMG]

13. ianuaditis

3-21-85 - Hampton VA

This one gets off to a rocky start, as they are just wildly out of sync on Alabama Getaway, and it carries over into Greatest Story (so much so that the transfer I'm listening to labelled it as 'Promised Land.') But they recover for an excellent TLEO, and Bottom is still new, so even the blues slot is not such a drag. Dupree's>Looks Like Rain>Might as Well doesn't look like the best set ender, but the crowd is into it, and they keep up the energy into the China Cat> I Know You Rider that opens set 2, which features a long jam and buildup and some smoking instrumentals on I Know You Rider.

It seems like its destined to be a rocking show, but it's a classic space setlist, with Playin>d/s>Wheel>Other One>Wharf Rat, so we will see what's in store.

14. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

15. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

It was his birthday, bless him.

Poignant night at the end of the road.

16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

For anybody in the UK still after the Warfield CD or vinyl my local store still has them and will ship all RSD stock for free. They don’t have a website but have posted a list on Facebook and if you contact them on there they will sort you out

Eclipse Records UK

US Blues likes this.
  17. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I'm going to see a tribute band called The Creampuff Warriors today at my local public library.......they play around the Chicago area at places like Martyrs.

budwhite, DrLunchbox and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. ianuaditis

3-21-85 turned out to be a pretty out there for 85 in the second set. It does kind of peter out at the end, with Around and Around>Johnny B Goode and then Day Job as the closer. Even if I liked Day Job, that's like 3 songs that are pretty similar to close it out.

I noticed in set 1 there was a solo break in El Paso, this is the earliest I think I've heard that.

It's funny how Around and Around can go from a 10 minute marathon in 78, to a 3-minute intro to Johnny B Goode in the 80s, and then into a slinky lounge piano workout in the 90s.

KCWhistle likes this.
  19. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Just wondering if anyone else still has these beauties. I can't even remember how long ago these were ordered from dead.net.

ianuaditis and johnnyb1964 like this.
  20. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Looks like Beat Club has officially uploaded the Dead's performance in its entirety on YouTube (though it's split into parts):

Great quality!

Crispy Rob, Archtop, KDubATX and 4 others like this.
  21. notesofachord

Jerry’s guitar strap is very sparkly!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Should have been a non limited release. Being a big upgrade to what's already available plus the classic show status

23. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

I love Dave's Pick 5 11-17-1973.

So today 4-20 I bought a Dave's Pick 5 #420 of 13000.

Yes, I'm a GD geek.

24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Happy 420 y'all!

I'm rocking to Jack Straw from 78-01-22. Jerry shreds. It's loud and fast and hard rocking, and probably not a sober evening.
    It's fab!

25. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

Taking a sidestep from music, I just wanted to mentioned that the Dogfish Brewery has released a new IPA entitled American Beauty. I bought a case this afternoon ($61.00) and am going to enjoy a couple with some Dead later tonight. If interested, here's the link - American Beauty . If this was already posted, I apologize.