The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

@kevin - I love that you give us this daily report, it helps me orient in Space & Time, which is valuable for me. Right now I seem to be in Cheyenne...

Great Northern out of Cheyenne, from sea to shining sea...

2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

This is precisely what turns me off what I have heard of Spring ‘90 - I find it exhausting. It sounds like a race to me. Of course, others hear glory so it means different things to different people.

In my opinion, that’s the best thing on Download Series Vol. 4. They really seemed to hit upon a good platform with the end of set PITB>something>PITBs in that period.

The PITB>Supplication>PITB from 24 September ‘76/Dave’s Picks Vol. 4 is another. Many point to the PITB>Wheel>PITB from 26 February ‘77/Dave’s Picks Vol. 29 as a real winner.

Not that they hadn’t already shown pre-retirement that first-set-ending PITBs comprised some of their most fertile territory, but these ones are a little different.

Speaking of ‘76 (again) and specifically the September-October shows, what are people’s favourites? I sheepishly admit I have only heard 25 and 28 September (Dick’s Picks Vol. 20) once and don’t remember or own it and am yet to listen to 3 October ‘76/30 Trips despite owning it. I really rate 24 September ‘76. Other than the Day On The Green shows, what should I be listening to from this run?

Also, I haven’t forgotten the nice JGB show from November ‘76 that was a GarciaLive release a while back...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Mansley, adamos, KCWhistle and 6 others like this.
  3. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

Those 1990 Cleveland shows were such a trip seeing a new keyboard player where Brent used to sit. They were 6 or 7 songs in before Jerry introduced Vince. He held is own though and even at the time I thought the shows were good. The transition from just Vince to Vince and Hornsby between the Friday and Saturday night MSG shows was pretty remarkable. Hornsby brought a different level of energy.
    I certainly thought 9-15 and beyond were fantastic but I must say there was a certain groove they had Friday night w/o Hornsby that worked. Killer Scarlet>Fire Truckin'>Terrapin that is overlooked by most heads.

John69, adamos, US Blues and 5 others like this.
  4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

www.archive.org/details/gd77-04-25.sbd.symons.15879.sbeok.shnf/gd77-04-25d3t05.shn

On this version its part of the Wharf Rat track, starts at about 15:30. IMO they'd been back in 'Playin jam' territory since around 11:00 of that track, if not sooner.

From what Wikipedia says, the official release seems to be tracked in the same way, with the start of the Playin reprise track not starting until they definitively play the 'return to song' riff

5. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Starting Disk 3 of Cape Cod CC. from 30T, 10/29/79. Liking the set so far.

6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The NFA>GDTRFB>NFA from 9/21/72 is a perfect example of why 1972 GD will always be better than 1973 GD for me. While the musicianship and group improvisation is at an amazing level in both years, in ‘72 there is a rollicking, spinning on the edge of a cliff intensity. ‘73, on the other hand, is laaaaaaaiiiiiidddd back.

7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

8/6/71 FTW
    5/27/89 smokes and there's video. Jerry goes off in the exit jam.

8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Winterland San Fransisco 78-10-21

Set 1

Hamza el Din song#1
    Hamza el Din song#2
    Ollin Arrageed ->
    The Promised Land
    Sugaree
    Passenger
    Ramble On Rose
    Looks Like Rain
    Stagger Lee
    I Need A Miracle

Set 2

Bertha ->
    Good Lovin'
    It Must Have Been The Roses
    Estimated Prophet ->
    He's Gone ->
    Drums * ->
    Space * ->
    Got My Mojo Workin * ->
    The Other One ->
    Stella Blue ->
    Sugar Magnolia *

Encore
    U.S. Blues

*with Lee Oskar on harp

9. budwhite

Love the Hamza songs and Ollin Arrageed I could listen to all day.

10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

One of my favorite Scarlet>Fires experienced live. It didn't hurt that I was front row center that night, and Jerry was looking right at me and we were boogieing together during part of it. [Edit: Very hot-for-the-time-period Other One that night (9/14/90 MSG) as well.]

11. RueBourbon76

RueBourbon76 Forum Resident

I am currently listening to that Ark show...Let me put it this way ...when Dark Star is song two in the first set you KNOW you are listening to an Ark '69 show.

12. budwhite

Still at Winterland. Don't miss out on The other one.
    Jerry's playing on the theme in the last min or so is some cool hard rocking shiiit

13. RueBourbon76

RueBourbon76 Forum Resident

I FORGOT! Happy 50th to the Ark shows ...arguably the greatest of unreleased shows right up there with RFK '73.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Crispy Rob and nfmboss666 like this.
  14. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

4/24/72 paving the way for the great 4/26/72 which is so perfect a show I can’t even stand it. The Bertha, China > Rider, Truckin all cook, with an absolutely epic Lovelight that simply smokes. Go ahead, pick a song on 4/26 and it could be considered a top tier version. A lot of Dead shows ebb and flow with all sorts of different engagement, energy levels, highlights and clams. Not 4/26, it’s amazing from start to finish. In my world, it’s a top 5.

Back to 4/24 though, a very heavy Truckin opens the show which is already somewhat rare, no? Jam here is pure rock and roll, with Phil and Billy driving especially hard. On the Europe master in particular, the sound of the drums and bass is raw and thick, love it. Not sure if Rhein is the same master. I remember seeing the Rhein release in stores back when it came out and it seemed so massive to me at the time. Since I was new to the Dead at the time I didn’t buy it, but was very happy to get the Euro release when it came out.

As good as 4/26? No, but a great, great appetizer for it.

15. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Great Dark Star > Uncle > Dark Star > Wharf Rat > Sugar Magnolia! The transition into Wharf Rat was very nice, and led to a pretty stellar version!

And that Playing in the Band is an absolute killer, damn. Goes deep and heavy for the entirety of a short 8-9 minutes.

16. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

17. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

Found a used copy of Rockin' The Rhein the other day. Seems like the perfect day to fire it up. I don't think I've ever hear this show either.

US Blues, laf848, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  18. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Fantastic release

laf848 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

Yeah, Jerry's playing during Fire was, well, blazing! I remember two rows in front of us were these really tough looking guys with their "Outerbridge Crossing" gang jackets on and they all were swaying and dancing during Truckin>Terrapin. I completely forgot about the Other One. I think I'll need to hit the archive tonight and listen to that show.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I am partial to 4/16/72

Crispy Rob likes this.
  21. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I liked it so much, I listened to it again. Specifically, the best "Eyes" in the world (see what I did there?) from 9/7/73 Nassau Coliseum. The Fender Rhodes groove is in the freakin' pocket while Jerry slashes like Keith Richards' "Sympathy" solos in 1969.

22. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Lots of sibilance on the Grateful Dead Movie soundtrack. Drums sound like they’re being played deep inside a cave.

What is the perfect Grateful Dead live release? Perfect performance and perfect sound. Does it even exist? Are we to obsessed to hear this music as a child? Oh, the excuses we make.

Imagine someone from the outside listening in on some of these releases. They’d most likely be repulsed and there you have it. But we do let people into our space and they’re going to hear it eventually. They don’t know the storyline.

Be careful.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Dahabenzapple likes this.
  23. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I won't make a definitive choice, but Live/Dead springs to mind immediately.

24. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

... as bonus track of the Wake of the Flood cd?

25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

As a curated 4-disc collection of a run, Ladies and Gentlemen the Grateful Dead April 1971 is as close to perfect as you’ll get. One small exception is that there’s no “Playing in the Band” on it.