The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

You mean like what happened to the Whalers? :laugh:

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Keith had a Polymoog on the spring 77 tour. From what I've heard he used it a lot in the April shows, then by around New Haven he began using it less and less and may have ditched it entirely later in the year.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and trd like this.
  3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

...and Jeff Norman’s “enhancements” such as adding deadly to Jerry’s guitar in places.

US Blues likes this.
  4. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Tuning into Radio Luxembourg. Bob’s guitar on Big River sound check sounds like someone else is playing someone else’s guitar.

5. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

At first glance I read that you 'got a gong (for me) this morning, which is nice' and thought man, that's getting into the spirit...

[​IMG]

6. trd

trd Forum Resident

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Ezzie, adamos, KCWhistle and 4 others like this.
  7. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

Yes, I just listened to it and then Footprints from Footprints Live. Never made that connection before, but I hear it. Also never knew that music was called Elastic Ping Pong.

US Blues, Archtop, trd and 1 other person like this.
  8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

1010-003 | Charles Spurgeon's photos
    That's a picture of 5-3-70 at Wesleyan (JP Barlow's alma mater,) that is Judd Hall in the background:
    [​IMG]

9. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Thoughts on Spring 93?

Been on another collecting kick lately and ive been polishing off 93

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Good latter day tour, Jerry was in decent shape and it seemed like they were getting ready to do a new studio album. The first tour I "followed" by getting fanzines with the setlists (I didn't have regular Internet access yet).

11. Archtop

That's just a moniker that some guy came up with. It's nothing official or anything like that.

12. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 5/19/74[Portland Oregon]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream.[now playing Not Fade Away]

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  13. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Doesn't make a bit of difference in this case; what went through the Plangent Process were Jeff Norman's 2-track mixdown reels, with all the "badness" on there permanently. For Plangent to make any difference, the multi-tracks would have to be newly transferred, and they haven't been.

14. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

Hello everyone! About me, here it is in a nutshell: I was a casual fan of the Dead starting in the mid-70's (Skull and Roses) and through the early 90's. My interest slowly grew with the advent of the vault releases, but I did not become passionate until 2014. So I'm a late bloomer. Around that time I discovered etree and, through trial and error, became self-taught as to it's use.
    Although I had numerous opportunities, I never saw the Dead live, something I now deeply regret. I also never saw any post-Jerry incarnation of the band, something I now also regret. My love for the band has grown exponentially in the past 2 years; dare I say they play an integral part in helping me maintain my sanity and get through life in more than words can explain.
    My hectic work schedule prevents me from posting during the week, so I've been catching up and posting on weekends.
    I've posted on many music forums over the years, but for many years I've searched for a forum (thread) like this, so I'm very happy to meet you all and GRATEFUL for this thread! Thanks and have a great week!

15. DoDahman

DoDahman Forum Resident

Big hitter the Llama...

Crispy Rob, Grateful Ed, trd and 3 others like this.
  16. notesofachord

Welcome, I’m glad that you made it home.

[​IMG]

sleepjar, mmthmj, Spadeygrove and 9 others like this.
  17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Yes, I didn’t have time to play the whole show this morning but I made sure to mix in some New Riders songs. It’s great to have the it all together.

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The flowing robes, the grace. Striking.

19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I attended the first 4 of 5 Nassau shows in '93 (skipped the 5th show to go to Shea Stadium for the home opener and saw the first game ever by the Colorado Rockies). I had a great time, the shows were fun, the band was lively and in good form, and the new tunes evoked a sense of promise for the future.

20. notesofachord

Delay

mmthmj, KCWhistle, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  21. Archtop

Rest assured that we'll have posted all forms of random assessment and opinion when you get back to this thread each weekend. We ain't going anywhere.

By the way, you asked earlier about other jams that evolved into fully-realized compositions, so in addition to the whole Elastic Ping Pong/STDOMTT thing, there's also the Let it Grow Jam that @notesofachord hipped us to (starts at 25:18 of the 4/17/72 Dark Star - Bobby is playing | Amin7 | Ddim7 | within a few seconds of that and then Jerry comes in with tone to die for). Another occurrence that you've got to find on the Wake of the Flood CD with bonus tracks is the 9/7/73 Eyes of the World that has a proto-Slipknot! jam (10:31-10:58) that is guaranteed to melt your teeth whether you want it to or not. Jerry's first GoGD show with Wolf and he's clearly pleased with the acquisition.

22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The Ocean of Compassion.

adamos, warewolf95, DoDahman and 3 others like this.
  23. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

But yeah, that Playin' > Scarlet > Playin' from Roosevelt 74 is top notch improv Grateful Dead.
    There are some insane recordings from that show. The aud/sbd matrix are deserving of attention.

Crispy Rob, John69, adamos and 9 others like this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

The drums from the July 3 St. Paul 1978 show are currently on their third attempt at doing it for me tonight.

notesofachord, US Blues and trd like this.