The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Popped in the October '77 Road Trips CDs the other night, disabusing myself (again) of the notion that all '77 shows sound the same. 10/16/77 Scar>Fire is your friend.

[​IMG]

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

3. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Doing the catalogue shuffle thing this morning and I get back-to-back China>Riders: 9/27/72 (Dick's 11) and 12/6/73 (RT 2011 bonus disc). Here's hoping this presages a smooth week. It's off to a lovely start, regardless.

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    This release had the very unique record of being part of my Dead colletion and staying shrink wrapped for more than six months. Since it's the 43th anniversary of the show, I decided to open it. Listening to disc 1 right now.

5. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

Thanks for the info - I'd ordered this one from Amazon, but been out of town. Thought this would be waiting on my desk this morning and was very surprised to have no tracking/shipping update from Amazon.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

I've been waiting for the monster 'whole year' box set.... '1977, The Year!' :D

mmthmj likes this.
  7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I agree. And while I agree with @frightwigwam that, for instance May is very good, and the Winterland run in October is very good, I don't think there are any shows post-February that can really compare to the best of the May 1977 - February 1978 streak.

8. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

This was Pigpen's last live appearance with the Dead....
    [​IMG]

budwhite, trd, notesofachord and 9 others like this.
  9. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I've alway felt that the plural of Godchaux should be Godchaux.

"Wherever two or three Godchaux are gathered in His name...."

:shrug:

ARK, Six Bachelors, trd and 13 others like this.
  10. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

I have never ordered any of the Real Gone sets. I assume the same sound quality and packaging as the originals? They seem a little high priced compared to official releases directly from GD store. I am interested in that Denver 73 though...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Packaging is different in that these come in jewel cases (fatboys, in this case) rather than the cardboard sleeves of the originals. Not sure if the liner notes are the same. Cover art is close to the originals, but the colors are a little off, although that could just be the difference between printing on cardboard vs. paper. Bonus discs are also not included. I assume the sound quality is the same as the originals.

I think the pricing is comparable to how they priced their reissues of the Dick's Picks series. In other words, yes, it's a bit high compared to most CD pricing circa 2019, but way more reasonable than what you're likely to encounter when perusing the secondary market. I don't know if the availability of the reissues has brought down the asking prices of the originals, but I'm guessing not.

I recommend just buying the Denver 73 set and seeing what you think. :)

12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Stone Turntable and ianuaditis like this.
  13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Quoting Agnew, would we? 'In the strangest of places, if you look at it right'

I've found in listening to all the different eras there's usually something to be found in any period of Grateful Dead. I'm in the middle of listening to all of 77 (doing 5-15-77 today) and while many of these are legitimately good or great GD shows, I'll readily admit, I doubt I'm going to ever be at a point where I consider this among their best periods, or even better in any meaningful sense for me than 78 (or even 83-85 or 91, etc.) There's just not enough of what I listen to the Grateful Dead for in April-May 1977 (so far.)

Maybe there will be some dark horse moments from the fall, but as it stands now I would take both 7-8-78 and especially 4-16-78 over whatever the best of 77 is supposed to be (which for me is May 4 up to this point.)

I think this question is going to devolve into warring camps for all time, thank goodness 'agree to disagree' is usually the worst outcome around here, and that it's all out there for anyone who wants to to listen and decide for themselves.
    The one I bought was definitely some kind of scan of the original artwork. I bought DP7 from real gone about the same time I bought an original DP8 from a forum member, and looking at them side by side the reissue art was notably fuzzier. A couple of scratches in the disks too, though minor and have never effected playback.

14. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

Most of the time I can take or leave Tennessee Jed, but I really dug the high energy 3/26/90 version I heard on the way to work this morning.

15. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

In April, particularly from 4/12 Duke University thru 4/24 Illinois State, they played with a smoking hot energy that is really unusual for them after 1971. I mean, they rawked. You can also hear it in the February shows covered by DiP 18, but by no means did it stop there. I think it had something to do with playing a lot of college towns on that tour. They seem to have found another gear when playing colleges and places off the beaten path--like Huntington, West Virginia. How many bands ever took detours off the arena circuit to play Huntington, West Virginia--much less on the back of playing colleges in Blacksburg, Williamsburg, and Durham? I'm sure that those crowds brought a special kind of energy to the shows, and the Dead responded to it.

I guess that 1978 has a poor reputation with some people because of stories about Keith being out of it, and Egypt failing to live up to hopes of what might have been, but I don't think the rumors of the Dead's downhill slide after Februrary are generally supported by what's on the tapes. I would take Spring '78 over Fall '77, or all of Languid '76. Against Fall '79, I don't know, I like their sound on that tour--maybe a push.

16. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

trd, notesofachord, laf848 and 6 others like this.
  17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It's a great show, one of the best, if not the best, of a very strong summer tour.

ARK, trd, notesofachord and 4 others like this.
  18. wharf rat doc

wharf rat doc Forum Resident

19. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 6/17/88[Bloomington Minnesota]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Row Jimmy Row.

US Blues likes this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

10/31/71 (Dick's 2) and 11/15/71 (the Road Trips release) are my two favorites and have been for a long time. The one from the recent 11/71 Albuquerque Dave's ain't too shabby either, although not quite on the same level as those two (or the Skull & Roses version).

21. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Played the vaunted 4/8/72 Dark Star today - despite a severe cold this broke through the fog. Not sure which section is greater but the whole thing is stunning in it's genius. I probably like the meltdown into the pseudo MLB but the transition into SM is almost equally great. Plus the 5:20 through 10:00 is an astounding high energy jam.

mw1917, Billy_Sunday, trd and 9 others like this.
  22. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

It’s a sentiment I’ve heard often, and not one I’m disagreeing with - I like 78 a lot as well, and I think 77 is outstanding, a high point, but I love most eras for different reasons.

This is going to sound snotty probably and I definitely don’t mean it that way, but what do you “listen to the dead for?” What aren’t you getting from 77 that you get in other eras? I’m curious what 83-85 has going for it for you that 77 doesn’t?

83 - 84 btw is generally a low point for me, not the least of which for Brent’s keys, which I’m usually a fan of. In this era they were just really annoyingly percussive. Just constantly tickling my ear in the worst possible way.

trd and US Blues like this.
  23. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Didn't know that they ever played in Languid. Which venue?

uzn007, KCWhistle, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Was it those Feudin' Godchauxs? My policy is: I don't answer Godchaux questions.

25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Over the weekend listened to 6/21/85, Alpine. Although I know '85 fairly well (and the Greek run and most of the post-Alpine summer tour well), I don't think I've ever heard this show before. First set was pretty non-descript, although decent, until Bird Song which was a really good version, Weir probably being the MVP. Pretty strong Estimated->Eyes for the era in Set II. Bob has some interesting effects throughout that didn't strike me as quite as prominent in other shows from around that time, and Brent (I think) at times uses an effect or keyboard setting that is a bit similar to the "halo" sound effect Garcia was using circa '90. All in all, not one of the standout shows of that summer, but an enjoyable step close to, but off of, my personal beaten path.

trd, notesofachord, adamos and 4 others like this.