The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

That's a great call. It's not any better weather-wise here outside Durham, NC. I just fired up 7/18/89 because someone mentioned the 30th anniversary of this stellar run, but after that RT 1.3 might be calling my name...

2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

If I were thinking about skipping tracks on GD releases, Drums is probably not the first place I would start. But I don't skip usually. I'm not that busy, how long is a track, 6-7 minutes?
    April in general is really good. I can't argue with 4-15-78, but 4-16 is one of my longtime favorite shows, still might be my top set #1 ever.

Dick Latvala said 10-21-78 was the most exciting show played on the West coast since the 60s. At least one long-time taper who frequents these boards is very high on 12-19-78.

There's a show from Bakersfield I think from January that has one of the longer post-hiatus versions of Playin in the Band...

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I almost busted out the from Egypt with love road trips but this summer 71 felt more appropriate

wavethatflag and RockRoom like this.
  4. fritz7784

fritz7784 Forum Resident

The Jan/Feb and May '78 shows at the Uptown are all worth a listen, especially with a hq aud.

5. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

4/12/78 is also great. I watched the whole grainy Black & White video twice all the way through and the band was absolutely smoking hot. We should get an early April 78 box but as we know we already had/have the July 78 box. Plus so many long time Dead listeners don’t like 1978 because of the oft sighted issues like Keith’s accelerated decline, Bobby’s slide guitar, Jerry’s sometimes raspy voice, curtailed Set lists with some of the great Jerry sung/written songs minimal in the rotation or eliminated completely, rushed or forced delivery of the music, etc.

That being said, all the 1978 Dead I have gets as much listening time as any of the earlier classic years in my listening world.

6. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

The run of shows 4/21 (Stella is on So Many Roads box), 4/22 (DaP 15), 4/24 (DaP 7) are all worth your time. The PITB from 4/21 is IMO one of the finest from the era. As has been stated DP 18 is hard to beat but the aforementioned are close. Enjoy your journey!

7. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Technically - Southern Illinois University ---- sorry my alma mater, couldn't let it pass (now I feel like Gandalf).

My friends were always bummed the only time they played there was such a lackluster affair...

8. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

One of my favorite parts of 78 is the way that Jack Straw achieved liftoff on the best nights. Much like how Deal turned into a real burner in the late 80s, the most energetic Jack Straws all seem to be in 78. 1/22 is probably the best ever, but I but on 10/21 (Road Trips 1.4) in honor of this discussion and it rips on there too - with an appropriately uproarious crown response as well. Moving on to Sbegonia > Fmountain now, so Ill update.

9. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Dark Star?

[​IMG]

10. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Dead and Company > Grateful Dead

John Mayer is da s**t.

bzfgt likes this.
  11. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

One way ticket to Ignoreland is in your future, friend.

12. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

A couple more 1978 favorites:
    6/25/78 - outrageous high-energy show; awesome Space
    12/19/78 - great audience recording; the Stella Blue>Not Fade Away is a must-hear

13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Of course.

14. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I get you’re probably bored but I’ll bite.

I had my first listen to them yesterday in my buddy’s car. GD Radio was playing 6/4/17, I believe. I caught the Help on the Way
    >Slipknot!

Not sure what I expected but it was better than that. Happily surprised.

ARK likes this.
  15. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Well... this is probably not a topic I should bite on. But I don’t think I have in this forum before, so my 2 cents:

I think they’re fine, and capable of some great moments. The one time I saw them live was very good, but they kept devolving into generic, extended SRV style blues jamming, especially in the second set. I preferred the first set, honestly. I will definitely go see them again if they’re in the area, without hesitation. But I won’t be driving cross country or anything.

I can listen to the Grateful Dead all day, but unless I’m there live, I can only do Dead & Co for an hour or 2 at most. The difference is they tend to start getting a little exhausting for me. And not having someone with a decent voice to trade songs w/ Bobby doesn’t help. Mayer’s voice, at best, is a pretty lame over-affected white-guy blues thing. At worst, it makes me want to just turn it off. And the way he sings the word “toodeloo” makes me want to stick my head in the oven and cash it in. Great guitarist though.

What else? I won’t pile on the “they play too slow” thing because I don’t always agree with that sentiment - it’s an overused knee-jerk statement that doesn’t always fit the facts.

They do however have kind of a heavy, plodding aspect to much of their material. I think a lot of that is down to Billy and Mickey just kind of beating basic ABC 123, barebones beats and 1 or 2 hit fills (one big dual drum BOOM! rather than a tasty fill) along with Otiel’s rock solid but somewhat ho-hum approach to bass. They have a hard time getting a good, bounce/swing going. Less get up and dance and more sit back and head-bob.

It’s all indica, no sativa.

At their best they are excellent. Just not something I’m in the mood for often, and when I am, a little goes a long way.

16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The Monkees > The Beatles.

Davey Jones is da s**t.

17. Freebird

The way they mix the kick drum in their live mixes is horrible. That’s why you feel the heavy and ploddingness.

18. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

That's for sure.

US Blues, Freebird and wavethatflag like this.
  19. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Well, you lit the fuse. It's not the mix, it's the drummers and guitarist bro.

No Phil, No Jerry, No go. Glorified cover band that cant write new tunes. A lead player that can't improvise psychedelically. That's why the music suffers.

20. Freebird

The Sugar Mag from Folsom Field in 2018 has TONS of swing...check it out!

21. Freebird

Now I know you haven’t listened to them. Mayer can improvise incredibly. Check out the Noblesville, IN show from 2017.

uzn007 likes this.
  22. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Whose catalog does Dead & Co. play?

RockRoom and Freebird like this.
  23. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

I didn’t say they can’t swing and feel light, I said they seem to have a hard time doing it. Or they’re unwilling most of the time. I also said I like it, I just can’t listen to a lot of it.

rufus t firefly and Freebird like this.
  24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Dead & Co. aren't really my thing, but Mayer is one of the best improvisors they've had in the "fake Jerry" spot.

25. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Oh, I've seen them and that's how I back my opinion. Now I know you haven't seen the GD. Jamming on guitar is not improv. Mayer can jam, but he cannot and does not leave this earth while directing a band with his improvisation. He walks in the footprints of others.