The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

Just a hunch but I think next Box Set is 68-69 or 1976. Something about Dave's seaside chat for DP 31 gave me that feeling as he talked. It just didn't feel like he was leaning later era with his brief hints.

The meet up at the movies show has certainly made me pause to contemplate a 1991 box but one of the Boston shows is already a Dick's and that would be the run to do from 1991.

2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

A 1976 box won't sell.

3. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Hello there, and welcome. I’m perpetually behind on this thread now, at least 10 pages and 3 or 4 days worth. So I know you’ve gotten a lot of good suggestions, nearly any of which are good advice. But I haven’t seen anyone plug the 89 box you’ve picked up, and I hope that won’t make you ignore it. Plenty of well played (and very well recorded) music in those two shows.

The GD in the late 80s was a well oiled machine. Somewhat less experimental, and less likely to launch into a 35 minute unscripted improvisation. But (as with any time in their career), every song contained a kernel of the new, the possibility of the unknown or a particularly good take on something already heard many times before. I think the 89 RFK box is under appreciated because the set lists are pretty standard, but the playing is just fine and there’s plenty to enjoy. So dig in!

Besides, if you’re still bothering to check this thread following your question days ago, there’s a pretty good chance you’re still enjoying the music you’ve discovered. Hope so, there’s an awful lot to enjoy, and there’s plenty of moods and styles to keep you interested for a long time.

4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I've been weeks behind. It's still the same bus, man.

5. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

My recent favorite FOTD along these lines is 5/7/78 (RPI, Troy NY). Hoping that show, and the night before from UVM, get released sooner rather than later. Garcia’s solo in Friend from 5/7 just completely elevates everything. Transcendent. That was my second show...

6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

But an Ark Box or Fox Box would sell out in minutes.

Crispy Rob, ARK, KCWhistle and 8 others like this.
  7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

You're always so negative, 'luxey!

mmthmj and US Blues like this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

You might be correct. Still, as a vanity project, it's one that I'd appreciate very much.

ARK, KCWhistle, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  9. notesofachord

Even though the July 1978 box was a slow seller, I'd still love to get an April '78 box. Yummy!

Crispy Rob, budwhite, mmthmj and 3 others like this.
  10. bzfgt

Not me, I'm relentlessly positive.

Positive that John Mayer sucks...

11. notesofachord

:drool:

mmthmj and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. bzfgt

It is pretty remarkable--indeed, almost unbelievable, given some of the things that have come to light on this thread--that of D&C's proverbial 99 problems, Mayer ain't one...seemingly, I haven't listened to more than some samples. He was doing remarkably well on that Other One posted earlier...

13. notesofachord

Oh snap!

14. bzfgt

All in fun! More power to him. Well, maybe not that...that sounds a little bit frightening...

15. notesofachord

I'd say that considering most folk's expectations of him playing Grateful Dead music, this is a fairly true statement. I mean, most folks were probably really surprised that the GD hired the keyboardist from The Tubes back in 1990, but IMO, he did fairly well too (except for some questionable keyboard patches used).

16. diamondstylus

One man gathers what another man spills. "Except in California"

uzn007, US Blues and notesofachord like this.
  17. diamondstylus

I'm not so sure. But yeah, 68-69 or bust at this point.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Why doesn’t D&C get Adam Levine to sing? He’ll sell tickets and make everything fresh and exciting again.

19. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

WOW, the jam into The Other One on 11/4/79 is so F-ing cool!!!! No one talks about this show, but it's one of my favorites from this year.

Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  20. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

A 1968 Lysergic Leap Year Box.

21. notesofachord

He's disqualified. He failed the maximum amount of tattoos clause in the D&Co. contract:

[​IMG]

Sorry folks, I was just trying to see if I could make today's section of The Grateful Thread suck even more...

22. Scopitone

23. diamondstylus

I know I'm minority but I would surely buy a carefully cultivated Box Set of certain runs from 1987-89 period. The band was having so much fun and actually rocking out.

24. diamondstylus

Lol, that has been circulating on the R/Conspiracy thread for Illuminati symbols in pop culture.

25. Scopitone

We do need more official releases from 87-88, for sure.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt, uzn007 and 2 others like this.