The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Thanks for reading!

ratstack and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  2. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Totally agree. It's firmly in the category of "slinky, noir Dead" that I love so much, along with "West LA Fadeaway." I love that sound.

Crispy Rob, mgb70, bzfgt and 6 others like this.
  3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Drove

Texas-Oklahoma-Kansas-Colorado-Wyoming-Idaho-Washington-Oregon-California-Arizona-New Mexico-Texas on our last major run.

The trip sucked for a number of reasons but getting to see the west was absolutely wonderful.

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That venue @ CU Boulder is known as the Glenn Miller Ballroom. Glenn Miller, the famous Orchestra leader from the 1930's and 40's, was a CU graduate. It's a beautiful room in one of the older buildings on campus. To have seen the GD there in 1969 must have been mind-blowing on many, many levels.

PS- It was during this visit to Boulder that Jerry purchased his first pedal steel guitar. This was an important moment in musical history.

5. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Bob's the anti-Ringo. It's impossible to tell what song he's playing by hearing him in isolation.

6. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I listened to part of the first set last night in bed. Short but very fiery version of Help>Slip with some of my favorite Jerry licks.

7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I wanna take a 2 week vacation 26 times a year

(Add em up)

ianuaditis, warewolf95 and US Blues like this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

You missed....

Tucson and Tucumcari, Tehachapi and Tonopah.

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Tucumcari check
    Tonopah check

Not much to see or do though.

And nobody there showed me a sign nor gave me weed, whites and wine

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  10. US Blues

Happy Birthday David Crosby! :righton:

11. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

"You're a musician?"

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis, ARK and 7 others like this.
  12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah I listened to the H>S>F a few nights ago...I'm not usually cognizant of anniversaries (my wife and I can never remember what date ours is)

13. bzfgt

1974-05-12 the Truckin>Other One>Row Jimmy is excellent, with a nifty transition from MLB to Row Jimmy...really good show, and better than 3-23. Maybe second best of the year so far...this or 02-23.

14. bzfgt

True, and it's striking hearing it in isolation and realizing I don't know where the beat is half the time

trd and Archtop like this.
  15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

16. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Jerry actually played a lot more "traditional" rhythm guitar than Weir. A lot of the time, if he wasn't soloing (e.g. if he was singing, or someone else was soloing), Jerry played rhythm.

17. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

MUATM must've been a hit this year. I just noticed they've actually got a third downtown KCMO screening scheduled for this Saturday. There were at least three area theaters showing it on 8/1, and I know they did an encore screening downtown a week or so ago.

Crispy Rob, trd, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  18. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

I saw David Crosby last night. The band started playing Happy Birthday and Crosby told them "don't you dare! I hate f@#*in' birthdays!" They kept on playing so Crosby flipped the bird with both hands while repeating "I hate f@#*in' birthdays!".

The show was absolutely amazing, near perfection instrumentally and vocally. Crosby's voice is still all there. If you have a chance to see him, don't hesitate, go!

We met Steve DiStanislao, the drummer (also David Gilmour's drummer) after the show and he was beaming ear to ear. The whole band was obviously enjoying themselves immensely.

19. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

I think they did something like 99 takes of it, so they better have nailed it!

Personally I’d put the Terrapin suite above Althea terms of creating a studio-enabled, highly detailed masterpiece, even with the cheesy strings and choir.

And as for studio gold standards, I think everything trails Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty by a significant margin.

20. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

I wish I had gone to see it at a real theater. I saw it at a so-called “giant cinema,” the Rangos at the Science Center here in Pittsburgh, and it was unwatchable. We had to leave. The screen is dramatically curved and really way too big for this sort of thing. I think the perspective is only correct from probably about 20 seats in the place.

That plus the horrible sound (Low-res streaming from a laptop) was just too much. Extreme distortion turned the cymbals, higher toms, and higher keys and strings into a pure, earache of a mess. That or all 46 speakers (or however many they advertise) in that place were shredded. Maybe both.

ianuaditis, trd and KCWhistle like this.
  21. US Blues

Wake of the Flood and Blues For Allah have their own magnificence that cannot be ignored. Unbroken Chain, by itself, may be the single best studio track they ever created. And the original mix of Aoxomoxoa has to be considered for pure creativity.

Huh, these guys did a bunch of good studio work. ;)

22. US Blues

Before the encore, Bill Graham has the audience wish a Happy Birthday to visiting dignitary David Crosby.

Croz would perform twice with the GD in 1972, on 10 September (Dark Star > Jack Straw) and 31 December (The Other One > Morning Dew).

23. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Played 5/21/77 on a night trip back from the beach house. Orange skies for about an hour after sunset. Decent show, albeit with a lackluster "Scar>Fire," and then "Estimated Prophet" (which segues into "He's Gone") kicks in with one of those transcendental jams that defies description and is so spot on that the feeling is visceral. I was at one with Jerry, John Perry Barlow, Phil, and the universe.

24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Been through Tehachapi on more than one occasion traveling the great Southwest. Beautiful country.

25. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

I agree, except for Wake. I was going to cite Unbroken chain as well but it throws in a few too many of the alien spaceship landing sounds. Incredible track though.

Also, it really doesn’t have a comparable live counterpart. Certainly none of the few live takes on it they finally did in ‘95 hold a candle to the studio version. Had they put it into rotation on tour early on though, it almost certainly would have grown and matured, and the studio version might be viewed a little differently. As it stands, it’s the prime example due to its scarcity. If they had never performed Scarlet Begonias live, the album version might be held in the highest of esteem (it’s not bad, but no one ever mentions it).

Overall I think they did a lot of good studio stuff. It’s just very different than the live work. I’m not a big one for cutting it down with the old “dead studio albums sucked” cliche.

That said, I find Wake to be exceedingly weak, and a missed opportunity. There are some classic songs on there, but I’ve never heard it in any format where it doesn’t sound dry, muffled, and poorly engineered. It’s like someone threw a wet blanket over the speakers any time I throw it on. The band doesn’t sound particularly inspired to me either.

Dahabenzapple likes this.