The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

You're almost at the Peak Moment of the PNW box.

(last 5 mins of the back half of TOO)

2. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Good one.

Kind of like my mom's trip to Maui in 1978. She's still there!

I've driven through a few times as well, and the way to / from Vegas, AZ, etc. Always reminds me of that Little Feat song.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and trd like this.
  3. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Anyone know to what extent, if any, the Garcia estate and the Dead coordinate or align on their releases? I was jamming on Electric on the Eel this afternoon and it suddenly hit me the unavoidable similarity of this year’s JGB box and the Giants Stadium box.

One venue across the years (even though I thought Dave had said at one point they weren’t interest in something like that that), with 3 shows from the exact same years: ‘87, ‘89’ and ‘91. Now that can’t be 100% cosmic coincidence, can it?

4. trd

trd Forum Resident

Really curious about this myself. I noted the similarities when the Hoffa Box was announced. Bizarre if it really is a coincidence

budwhite, SteveFff and ratstack like this.
  5. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

That thar is a genuwine Spanish Jam, dunno why it wasn't labelled as such. My all-time fave Spanish Jam.

6. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I remember an article I read long ago where Weir was saying that with so many instruments on stage there wasn’t a lot of room to play full chords. He said he mostly played three notes or so, and considered himself more of a jazz player in a rock band. Wish I could remember the article as I’d like to read it again and refresh.

7. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

Returned from my brief Dead hiatus with a vengeance this afternoon:

[​IMG]

8. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

This release is better than 98% of my GD collection.

9. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

Hope you have the bonus disc too. Essential!

10. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

That and The Complete Fillmore West are better than anything in my collection (which is admittedly 3 releases shy of complete, though I don't think Spring '90 II, RT'88, or Rare Cuts/Oddities would knock either out of the money). I like the way we think!

Apologies to '70, '72, '73, '74, and '77, but take solace in the fact that Michael Phelps won a 15th gold medal by just 23 hundredths of a second.

11. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Listening to Workingman’s Dead since we were talking studio albums, and Easy Wind was on. I’m thinking, “wait a minute this is really familiar... what is this?... CSN?... no... Oh! Down By The River.”

12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Have you heard the Hi Res version?

13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I only have the bonus disc for this one, can’t wait until Real Gone gets to it!

14. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 8/14/71[Berkeley Community Theater]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Truckin'.

Matthew Tate, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  15. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Hi-Res wouldn’t change that unless it’s from a different master.

budwhite and Coltrane811 like this.
  16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Patriot Season 2 Episode 2 "Cosmic Charlie"

gdpeck likes this.
  17. US Blues

It is a different master than the CD. Plangent Processed master tape xfer.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, dtuck90 and 3 others like this.
  18. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Every time I listen to 2/14/68 reminds me of seeing Dead for first time in April 1968. They played consecutive weekends in Miami club and Sunday free concert in local park. Still think it was best show I ever saw. My go to shows are 2/14/68, 5/24/69 Seminole Rock Festival, 2/27/69, 2/28/69 and 2/14/70 Fillmore East. They were different band with Pigpen. In fact I started selling off later shows like Spring 90 , Warlocks 89 and selling 30 trips. Don’t really listen to much after 1977.

19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Did @US Blues already mention the Washoe Zephyr? If you're doing all the shows of 74, that's an incredibly worthwhile pursuit.

20. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

I finally checked out the Archive version of 2/14/68 compared to the official version. I tend to not be very sensitive to speed variations but this one was massive. Well worth checking out.

Six Bachelors, budwhite, sami and 3 others like this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was just listening to 2/14/68 yesterday, didn’t realize it was the same as the RT2.2 show until just now.

US Blues, Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  22. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

wait, did you write you were at the Big Rock Pow Wow? I had no idea when i first heard that tape in the 1990s that it was not typical for them to play a random mix of their repertoire as early as 1969, that's always been a favorite.

Billy_Sunday, bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. US Blues

I lit out from Reno I was trailed by twenty hounds...

24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

There's a lot of talk of the Washoe Zephyr from Phil that show, I don't think USB mentioned it....yeah I'm doing 1974 but maybe slowly and it may get interrupted...

Crispy Rob, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  25. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Yep - just listened to it tonight to make sure I wasn’t blowing smoke.