The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

I’ve definitely heard about it here before, but I don’t have much need for it. I was kind of speaking in past tense when talking about downloading archive material. I used to do it, until I decided that, for me, it didn’t make much sense when I could just stream it without taking up hundreds and hundreds of gigs on my HDD. Definitely a good call for those that want to have the files though.

bzfgt and KCWhistle like this.
  2. sami

sami Mono still rules

Agreed, and the worst is the drunken guy screaming "Tennessee Jed!" every 30 seconds.

ratstack likes this.
  3. fritz7784

fritz7784 Forum Resident

For me, the pleasures of good auds isn't so much the audience reactions (with notable exceptions: 6/24/70 and 7/27/73) but the sound of the room. Also, you don't get the beauty of the Wall without an aud, imo.

4. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

What’s the best couple wall AUDs in your opinion?

sami likes this.
  5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

If there is, I don't notice it, maybe I've gotten acclimated to it. Or maybe burning them to CD, it eliminates the gaps? Listening to an AUD of 10-25-85 right now on the computer, there didn't seem to be any pause between tracks 1 and 2.

sami likes this.
  6. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

This Hampton 1988 video of a few songs from March 27th show is off the charts fantastic. You can just tell Jerry is in a playful mood as he starts the set off with a couple minutes of Miles Davis' So What. Once the set truly gets started, Jerry really digs in to every lead. The Scarlet portion of the 21 minute Scarlet/Fire has Jerry playing many fast, precise triplet runs. Jerry keeps reaching and reaching. And then by the end of Fire he turns into a beast. All fire and magic coming out of his fingers. On top of that his playing is all technically sound (not that we need perfection but it's nice to be spot on). Wow

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  7. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Thanks for this. I was present all three nights of this run.

US Blues, adamos, Crispy Rob and 6 others like this.
  8. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

Me, too. Good times!

adamos, Crispy Rob, sami and 4 others like this.
  9. fritz7784

fritz7784 Forum Resident

10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Someone on Twitter found a cat that looks like Bob Weir.

pic.twitter.com/73auTnNAK

(Hope it worked........I’m limited with phone)

11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Cat that looks like Weir.

Slow news day. :D

US Blues, bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  12. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Did you ever waken to the sound of Bob Weir making love?

gdpeck, talkingleaf, US Blues and 6 others like this.
  13. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

It's still an active venue. I've seen a couple of shows there. There are pictures on the walls of artists who have played there. It's a pretty amazing gallery. There is of course a photo of our boys, and then folks such as Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, and many, many more. I should have taken some pics of those pics when I was there last.... would have been amazing to have seen the GD there. Smaller than BCT, methinks.

14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

His wife may have! (Source: Interview with Mrs. Weir, The Other One on Netflix.)

15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Exactly. I google the show by date, then if one of the results isn't "SBD Charlie Miller" I open the first version and click "find other copies," then I open a tab for every one and look through them...it's ridiculous, is what it is. Relisten is way better but I never remember to use it, today I'm using it. Now though I have to open a tab of the same thing in Archive to see the reviews...

16. bzfgt

17. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

The search for perfection continues!

[​IMG]

ianuaditis, sami and bzfgt like this.
  18. bzfgt

It's been a good Vince day. I started with Dark Star through Caution 1972-04-08. No need to speak of it, I have probably announced that listening choice 3,183 times on this very thread.

Then I finished up 1974-05-19, which is where I'm at in my 1974 trek. @Dahabenzapple , I am confident one day the Truckin'>NFA>GDTRFB will hit you just right...it's not a journey to the edge of the galaxy, it's just a funky-jazzy jam where everything is done tastefully and right; there's something really satisfying about it that I've always loved. The brief MLB briefly gets kind of crazy, but overall "crazy" isn't the trip.

Shakedown from 1979-10-25 was next for me, then the Bird Songs from 1973-03-22 and 1973-06-22...there's something about the 22s, my other favorite is 1973-02-22. And those might actually be my three all-time favorites...as far as these two go, 3-22 has a better solo but the mix is perfect on 6-22 which is probably why it's the better-known version (also that it's been released, and it's part of a famous show). Garcia's soloing on 3-22, while not as loud, has more focus and coherence though...on 6-22 he kind of peters out a bit before the drum break. It's still a good moment though as the band is bubbling along nicely, with lots of great Phil. I'd say just on the basis of Garcia I'd give 3-22 the edge, but overall 6-22 is probably a better experience since it sounds so good.

2-22 is the perfect compromise...it doesn't sound quite as good as 6-22, and Keith's Rhodes isn't as prominent, but Garcia is nice and loud compared to 3-22...that may be the best version ever, all things considered.

Now I'm listening to 1973-12-12....again, I think a lot of this has to do with the mix, but this is a serious contender for best "Big River" ever. @Archtop has thrown down the gauntlet by identifying 1973-07-1 as tops, I think this is the most serious contender I've found since getting into that one. I'd have to go back and look at time stamps and listen more closely, but there's one part of the 2nd solo where he throws in these little double stops that take it to the next level. It's quick and subtle, but the listener will not be disappointed. Jerry is so loud and clear on C. Miller's SBD, I think that has a lot to do with it, though, which feels kind of like an extrinsic factor, but oh well...I guess what I mean is, I think there are a lot of performances with a so-so mix that would be better loved with a better mix. For instance, "Big River" from 1974-05-19 on the PNW box sounds good, but Jerry blends in a bit, and I think that affects one's assessment.

Big River 12/12/73 Grateful Dead

19. bzfgt

1973-12-12

PiTB, Half Step>Bobby McGee...this is a hell of a sequence here. Garcia is on fire on B. McGee, and I think some of these 73-74 Half Steps are just fantastic, you don't seem to hear about them as much as post-hiatus ones but the song was already being performed really well at this point I think.

WaterLemon, US Blues, adamos and 6 others like this.
  20. bzfgt

1973-12-12 Outstanding China>Rider!!! This is right around the time that the Jerry part after the Bobby lead part and before Feelin' Groovy is expanding, and he really plays some great stuff here...

21. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Or the clappers. For some reason, people in the '70s really liked to clap along to the music, maybe because they were raised on campfire sing-alongs and Mitch Miller records or something. But that's one thing that gets on my nerves--people get excited when the band starts "Truckin'," and the hive-mind tells everybody to clap in rhythm.

ratstack, sami and bzfgt like this.
  22. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I was listening to some early 76 JGB show recently and there was this guy who kept screaming every 30 seconds during the ballads. Like, way to ruin this Mission in the Rain, sir.

23. bzfgt

I remember that tape from back in the "Day"...I bet I haven't heard it since 1989. I am going to put it on next...

Somebody posted this Cassidy video but it must have been another thread, this is great:

Grateful Dead - Cassidy (Giants Stadium 6/17/91)

A couple thoughts: 1. Phil really uses his pinky a lot. 2. I can get used to Vince's sound here, even if it isn't my first choice, and he plays some cool stuff during the jam.

ARK, Crispy Rob, sami and 1 other person like this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

the url tells you the source,if you mouse over the entry you can see it.

sami and bzfgt like this.
  25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Thanks. I really enjoyed it!

Ray29 and sami like this.