The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I think the problem with Woodstock is that a band like the dead really doesnt work with an hour set. So much of what i love about their live shows is how they build momentum through a cracking first set and once you are in a proper place emotionally they take you on these strange exploratory journeys through the jams that can go in so many different directions before letting you down easy with a digestible rocking encore.

At Woodstock, in part because of a short set time (compared to their regular shows) and delays due to technical issues i think the band was unable to build an adequate foundation with earlier songs to launch the later longer jams off of. The very punctuated set had no chance to warm up properly into those jams so neither band nor audience were fully where they needed to be to really take that experience into the realms they were capable of pretty much nightly at the Fillmores.

2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

They've pulled it off before, though, or since then they have anyway...there's that Arrowhead thing from 1978, and I seem to recall that Us Festival thing wasn't bad...I'm not saying you're not mostly right, though

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. bzfgt

Crispy Rob and ratstack like this.
  4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The Airplane's Woodstock set is simply outstanding; IMO one would really be using some (aural) blinders to prefer the Dead's set.

5. sami

sami Mono still rules

Wurd.

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. sami

sami Mono still rules

And I'd still take the '69-'71 Dead over any of them, and always over the Airplane. But those aren't favorites of mine, to be fair. Love CCR, but they are apples and oranges with the Dead.

7. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

I guess that helps explain why Bob would get so fired up.

... so i’ll blame the crowd for Bobs barking and screeching :)

bzfgt likes this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

On most nights, yes, me too. Not at Woodstock though.

9. notesofachord

Rock Star Bobby loves it.

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob, ARK, Spadeygrove and 5 others like this.
  10. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

View From The Vault IV Soundtrack

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. bzfgt

Well yeah, I wasn't saying that at all (and @rbbert I guess too, if that's what people took away from my post)

EDIT oh you weren't even responding to me, I guess I'll leave this in case I be misunderstooded anyway

12. bzfgt

It's kind of slow here tonight, what happened to going away for an hour and there are 4,00o more pages when I get back? Yes, I would complain about that also. It's a good night for me to be on SHF constantly though.

I took a break and I'm still now listening to 1982-04-06. Anything good going on out there?

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

14. bzfgt

OK: since no one else did, I figgered it out. On 10-18-74 the Dead played Cumberland for the last time until 1981. Jerry starts by just wailing out but then drops into the old riff before the vocals. They brought it back on 8/27/81, and Jerry is playing the new (fingerpicked, or else hybrid, I think) riff.

Interestingly, on 8/30, Jerry starts with the old riff, then switches to the new riff....maybe he forgot for a moment, because the first one back three days prior is just the new riff.

I'm not sure how common it is for him to play both after that, I don't recall him doing so in the late 80s but that would be a lot of checking.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Crispy Rob, adamos, uzn007 and 7 others like this.
  15. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

6/8/80- Boulder

Uncle Phil's Band>
    Playing In The Band>
    Uncle John's Band
    * Extra jugs of "Strip and Go Naked" ...

16. malfano

malfano Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had to use a lot of store credit for these, but my oh my am I happy to finally own 'em. No bonus discs for the road trips, but Winterland June 1977 did come with it!

17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I just got through watching Raising Arizona. One helluvan* entertaining film. It's hard to believe that was 32 years ago. I think I last saw part of it about 15 years ago.

So, removing that absurdity from my mind might take two 1972 Dark Stars and call me in the mornings.

* This should be a functional word; it actually works.

18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

still trying to get a road trips 3 number 3

ianuaditis and sami like this.
  19. bzfgt

Yeah I really dug that movie last time I saw it, which was at least that long ago.

While you were gone I did some important research (re: Cumberland Blues, see above). It's actually way easier to figure something like that out than it seems like it would be....

Crispy Rob, sami and Archtop like this.
  20. malfano

malfano Forum Resident

It’s so good! Wish I could afford the bonus disc

21. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

From the Winterland box....11/11/73, finishing up disk 1.

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i am also missing that wall of sound road trips but its not as high on my must get list as the fillmore road trips

sami and bzfgt like this.
  23. notesofachord

I pretty much worship the Coen brothers. Each time a new film of theirs is released it feels like a holiday.

Mad Dog, garymc, uzn007 and 5 others like this.
  24. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

As I read, Janis was backstage during the dead's set....bummer she did not sit in for lovelight.

I don't mind the dead's woodstock set for what it is....as far as dead sets go for that year, sure, it's not par, but it's still an enjoyable listen in context.

Now, Johnny Winter's set....

25. bzfgt

1982-04-06 Other One is only 2.5 minutes long and this is really weird because they didn't just get distracted or something, Weir sings both verses. And it's not part of a trend at the time; the prior one (4/2) is around 9 minutes long, the next one (4/9) about ten...I wonder why they decided to do this. It's really good, too!

Crispy Rob, budwhite, sami and 2 others like this.