The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

One should watch their entire filmography. It's all exceptional work.

2. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Do you have some favorite '69 Airplane to recommend?

I have Bless Its Pointed Little Head, recorded in late '68, and I've heard Sweeping Up the Spotlight from November '69. IMO, neither can touch the Dead at their best in those years. The Airplane at the Matrix on 2/1/68 is respectable, but compared to the Dead that month? No. But maybe there are even better Airplane live recordings than those?

3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah, they're pretty much all good, aren't they? I can't think of any stinkers...

JNTEX and sami like this.
  4. sami

sami Mono still rules

5. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Real Gone just released that

bzfgt, ianuaditis, sami and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

One of the funniest movies of all time. “You are young and you got your health, what you want with a job?”

7. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

I would recommend the Golden Gate Park show from May 7, 1969 as well as the October Winterland shows (25 and 26 I think) with our favorite rock band the GD. All of them are nice soundboard and feature IMO great performances.

Edit: These are not official releases.;)

8. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

We saw a mesmerizing all-Bach recital by Hilary Hahn earlier this summer at Tanglewood. She was getting tones and nuance out of a violin that I’d never heard before. Fantastic musical experience!

(I know, I ought to post this in “classical corner,” but hey, I like chatting with Deadheads more!)

9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Every show from late '73 is a must listen. Period.

10. bzfgt

Listening to some of Road Trips 3.3 after it was mentioned. Some good stuff, unique Dark Star, great acoustic Friend of the Devil. Of course some of the acoustic stuff is sloppy and halfway incompetent, as usual, often seconds away from brilliant passages. The woman with the shrillest voice in history introduces them for the early electric set. Now I need to get back to Dicks Picks 18 which is what I was listening to earlier....

11. bzfgt

I think it's instructive to listen, as I did today/last night, to China Cat Sunflower from 1968, 1970, and 1974...it is illustrative of the band's evolution, anyway, as they are all profoundly different from one another. The first goes into The Eleven, the next two IKYR...the transition of the first I think Jerry leads, the second Weir, the third Weir then Jerry. The 1970 edition is not quite the modern version in attack, both vocally and instrumentally, but musically all the key elements are in place, whereas the earliest of the three is in many ways like a different song...doesn't even have the signature riff really, although sometimes in the early ones the (Jerry) riff sounds more like it does later and sometimes less so, it seems like. Weir's part is way more dominant and aggressive in the intro, though. Garcia's singing in 1968 is like a completely different vocalist, and the vocals are still quite different from the more familiar later style in 1970 but again, they're like halfway in between...

12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

You just made it a functional word.
    I'm pretty sure that was the very first show I burned off the Archive back in 05 or so. I have it on 5 CDs, early and late show as well as NRPS.

I remember my friend calling me 'what are you doing, want to come down?'

'Hey I'm just listening to this GD show, remember that tape I made you from the Fillmore East? I got the full show of it.'

'OK, so come down when it's done.'

'Well, there's about 4 hours and 45 minutes left of it...'

Crispy Rob, laf848, Archtop and 9 others like this.
  13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

All like all eras and arrangements of Chi-der. Even the '90s ones are enjoyable.

Crispy Rob, ARK, adamos and 3 others like this.
  14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

5/15/70

That unofficial version sounds really good too. Like at least 90% of the sound quality of the Road Trips version.

15. bzfgt

Dick 18 PiTB>Wheel>PiTB currently. PiTB starts out a little meandery but coalesces into some interesting jamming...

16. ianuaditis

'you're gone all right'

adamos, sami and budwhite like this.
  17. ianuaditis

I just stumbled on these, they're pretty good.

Archtop, adamos, sami and 1 other person like this.
  18. ianuaditis

This is pretty much what Youtube should be used for, IMO:

Guy Smiley, adamos and sami like this.
  19. ianuaditis

OK this one was pretty cool too:

Archtop, adamos, sami and 1 other person like this.
  20. bzfgt

1978-04-22 some really good stuff, one of the best Wharf Rat I think (Dave #something)

21. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

78 weenies (I am not one) proceed directly to 6/4/78. One of, if not the, barn burner of the front half of the year.

22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That intro is by a kid, not a woman.

23. bzfgt

Oh, I see...

...now listening (for the first time ever, I think) to 1991-10-31...H>S>F

24. sami

sami Mono still rules

I agree. Never heard a bad one yet.

Crispy Rob, ARK and bzfgt like this.
  25. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Cow Palace 76. I feel like this release fell through the cracks a bit, but it’s a good one. Phil and Jerry are having nice little chat in the PITB.

Crispy Rob, laf848, Archtop and 7 others like this.