The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt Interesting and Copacetic Denizen

@all does anyone have access to the material from Grateful Dead Clubhouse Projects? About two years ago when they were down, someone posted a link to a mirror site here. They came back up briefly, and I deleted the link to the mirror...then they went back down, and I haven't seen it since.

I would really love to have access to their recommendations. If there is no longer a mirror, even a text document or anything...surely somebody has something? Grateful Seconds has their "31 Jam Segments" here:

Grateful Seconds: Best 31 Jam Segments

But the rest of it is obliviated...

sami and KCWhistle like this.
  2. notesofachord

notesofachord Only the Stones Remain

Kind of like how cigarettes and heroin made Jerry’s voice sound like it did in 1984?

sami likes this.
  3. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Do I assume you mean Nov 02 1969 as opposed to the Fillmore Feb 11 1969 show? If so, do you know which collection it is in? That is the way I have them categorized.

Matthew Tate, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  4. notesofachord

It’s on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine site. Well, most of it.

Grateful Dead Clubhouse Projects: The Best of the Grateful Dead

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  5. bzfgt

I wouldn't think so, it sounds like two completely different things--one is cumulative, and one is temporary and largely psychological (actually I suspect the first is real and the second is not, I'm not sure about acid making people warbly!)

sami, notesofachord and latheofheaven like this.
  6. bzfgt

Yes, American numbers. I'm not sure what you mean by "collection"--what is a collection?

latheofheaven likes this.
  7. bzfgt

sami and ianuaditis like this.
  8. latheofheaven

In other words, is this performance found in any of the 'Dick's Pick's or other albums / shows available that I might have so that I can find the right version if I have it.

bzfgt likes this.
  9. latheofheaven

notesofachord and bzfgt like this.
  10. bzfgt

Oh, I see...no, sorry; just the Internet Archive/Lossless Legs/Your 'Nam veteran neighbor's tape collection kind of thing...

latheofheaven likes this.
  11. latheofheaven

12. latheofheaven

uzn007 and notesofachord like this.
  13. latheofheaven

Is that the version...? 2 links above...

14. notesofachord

It doesn’t sound like any of their normal theme jams, but the chords remind me of “The Mighty Quinn”, but that’s probably not it.

Also, did you keep listening beyond the Dark Star? The 11/2/69 Death Don’t Have No Mercy totally flipped my lid when I listened to it a month or so ago.

bzfgt likes this.
  15. bzfgt

Yes, my question was is the jam at 19:08 something familiar/named? It almost sounds like a slowed-down Feelin' Groovy or something...but I can't put my finger on it.

It's great to have that site again. Good little essay on the China>Rider transition, although a bit incomplete:

What the author neglects to mention (and seems significant) is that Weir's lick disappeared post-hiatus, when Weir's lead section failed to reappear, but Jerry took it back up (the "high screaming group of sustained notes") and incorporated it into his own transition lead beginning on May 12th, 1980....although this isn't clear from the above, it was initially a Weir lick that became a Jerry lick.

16. bzfgt

Yes, I think I listened to that then too when you mentioned it, but I haven't played it yet tonight...I will.

17. latheofheaven

Ehhh... I can't get the songs to play or dl, oh well... I would have LIKED to have heard it... o_O

bzfgt likes this.
  18. bzfgt

uzn007 and latheofheaven like this.
  19. notesofachord

The Relisten.com site might work better:

11/2/69 Grateful Dead

uzn007, bzfgt and latheofheaven like this.
  20. Zafu

Zafu Forum Resident

This is amazingly cool rare footage.

Jump to the 15th minute if you're inpatient.....

Peace, :righton:

Zafu

Crispy Rob, uzn007, trd and 4 others like this.
  21. latheofheaven

Strange Looking...??? WTH do you mean Strange Looking! I NEVER post Strange Looking things! :mad:

[​IMG]

trd, bzfgt and notesofachord like this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

You can still search posts from users that no longer show up with auto-complete suggestions as long as you enter their username with correct spelling (e.g. burtthomasward and it will give you his posts).

bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  23. latheofheaven

Heh, no, thanks for the link. I am listening to it now. Is there ANY way possible to download that album from there?

Thanks!

bzfgt likes this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

The jam you’re referring to in that Dark Star is a Feeling Groovy jam with a different approach to it. Sounds like the same chords at least (D -> A/C# -> G/B -> A, I believe without verifying it on an instrument). Interesting, I’ve never thought about it in much depth before and haven’t really waged any sort of in depth analysis of the tune and jam, but I recall the actual Feeling Groovy chord progression, in D, as D -> A/C# -> E/B -> A; which would have the same descending motion in the bass as the Groovy jam but is not the same progression. Oh well, I’m just going off of memory and a quick listen to that section of the Dark Star, I’ll have to make sure to revisit this later.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  25. latheofheaven

Thanks also mate! At least I can hear it now, although I would love to be able to download it :)

bzfgt likes this.