The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Each GD year has a "project" on bt.etree that is almost always seeded, if the individual source that you want doesn't have seeders.

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  2. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Enjoying this
    [​IMG]
    The Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa
    Blue vinyl
    FYE exclusive limited edition 1000 copies

Mad Dog, Crispy Rob, budwhite and 8 others like this.
  3. sami

sami Mono still rules

Hold it, I have to make a note of this ...........

uzn007 and ianuaditis like this.
  4. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Agree 100%. He was quite the prankster.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

so i have a question about these 50th anniversary sets and I brought it up sorta once before. is the live stuff they have been using so far from shows that they don't have the complete show in the vault? is that what will probably happen for American beauty and workingmans dead?

sami and ianuaditis like this.
  6. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Wembley Dark Star. Minute 28.

7. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Aren't those lossy mp3 files?

latheofheaven likes this.
  8. sami

sami Mono still rules

9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Yes 11-2 just sounds like a slower version of the Feeling Groovy jam (or maybe an embryonic version of the Uncle John's Band jam they'd break out a week later at the Fillmore?)

I've often though the UJB intro and Feeling Groovy are related. Kissing cousins at least, it can't be coincidence that UJB was written at the same time they started playing the Feeling Groovy jam inside of Dark Star most of the time.

10. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

How good is the bonus material on the 50th Aoxomoxoa anniversary release?

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I really enjoy the live cd and I never heard the original mix so its A+ for me. the sound of the live disc matches most other pre 1969 live material that's been released

12. Freebird

It’s only 12 dollars on Amazon right now.

uzn007 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. lc317

lc317 Forum Resident

September 1966

[​IMG]

14. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I personally love the Remix

notesofachord and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Freebird

The cowbell really can’t be mixed any louder on the Caution I’m listening too from the bonus material!!

16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

its a no-brainer

17. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

@notesofachord @ianuaditis @latheofheaven

Evan S. Hunt (who is the Jimi Hendrix guy, right?) says:

Evan S. Hunt - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - May 30, 2009
    Subject: Dark Star Only The Beginning Jam Eyes Tease
    Easily, the most variegated and immense Dark Star, for me, at this writing.

Towards the end of Dark Star they whittle themselves into a chorus of the hit record of the day "Only The Beginning" by Chicago. There's no vocals but you can't help but add them yourself.

He goes on to the call "Soulful Strut" (faux-TIghten Up) an "Eyes tease," but who knows...I vaguely remember "Only the Beginning," but I need to play it and compare

latheofheaven likes this.
  18. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

OK, no, it's Soulful Strut that sounds like "Only the Beginning," not the other bit. So maybe there is an Eyes tease, in any case...I'll check for that. But no light on the first jam.

EDIT eyes tease maybe he means around 18:37 but I don't really think so

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    ianuaditis likes this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I need to listen more but my initial impression when the 50th came out was that I liked the remixed Aoxomoxoa better (I’ve only really compared the different mixes of Stephen, Doin’ That Rag, and Rosemary so far). Either way it’s definitely great and fun to listen to both and compare. I’ve only listened to the live stuff on the bonus disc once so far, but with a Clementine and New Potato (I’ve really become a Potato Head lately) it’s definitely right up my alley.

Anyway, now I’m about to check out, in full, that Dark Star that’s been the topic of late (11-2-69).

20. <New Potato definitely has that "Who Are The Flower People" thing going for it

21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Sounds like someone dropped The Beach Boys into what they thought was a meat grinder but was actually a kaleidoscope.

22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

prime 1973

[​IMG]

23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

lc317, uzn007, Panama Hotel and 5 others like this.
  24. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Excellent, thank you kindly Bro! :tiphat:

Heh... Winamp is probably THE oldest music player out there. It has a very simple interface which I like. And, I've collected hundreds of skins cataloged by different themes (and even for some obsessive reason, modified the art work on some of the sexy Anime skins to restore the picture behind the EQ bars!)

I am NO artist, but a simple example: (in cases where the Lady is showing more loveliness, I've gone to more trouble :))

[​IMG]

Anyway, I knew that if you are playing songs from a folder you can render them (as opposed to just playing them) from Winamp to different file types. So, just as a guess I right-clicked the songs and chose 'Send to' and selected FLAC output so that there would be no further compressing, and BINGO!

B---I---N---G---O, B---I---N---G---O, B---I---N---G---O, and Bingo is my name! [​IMG]

Fortunately that particular page had the M3u file, which is the playlist that Winamp uses. So, in DLing that and loading it, all the songs load from online into the player. It was great finding this out so that if I can snag the M3u files of any playlist online in the future, I will THEN be able to DL the songs!

I believe that I did join Lossless Legs a while back. That is good to know, too, that I can do a specific torrent search for the recording, thanks!

trd and bzfgt like this.
  25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Someone calling that an "Eyes" tease is akin to calling every jazz standard written in a Major key an Eyes tease. The earlier jam you asked about (starting shortly after 19:00) sounds to me like a Jefferson Airplane thing, but it might just be improv. There are two parts to it; 1) Phil plays a descending line; and 2) Phil plays a line that initially descends and then goes down to the b7 and then up to the tonic. It feels like something Airplane would do (very Jorma), but I can't place it.

As for the Soulful Strut, Phil clouds the issue somewhat by playing A to D, while the chords are clearly A to Bmin. Much like what he does in Dark Star. Dark Star sounds like A to G upon first hearing, but Phil is voicing the actual second chord of the progression (Emin) in first inversion. Same thing on this version of Soulful Strut.

Crispy Rob, uzn007, budwhite and 5 others like this.