The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That guy is a trip, I saw him do a late night set at Nelson’s ledges and he was a freak about people taking his picture. This was before camera phones were a common thing, he had issues with just a regular camera and it was the biggest part of his set. I thought he was going to jump off stage and kick someone’s ass. I know I wouldn’t mess with that old bastard.

he opened for Todd snider last night in Colorado and joined him for his encore. He seems to be getting a good bit attention in the last month for the first time in 4o years.

bzfgt and sami like this.
  2. sami

sami Mono still rules

I've been wondering the same thing. Just need that fix of wit and wisdom I guess.

latheofheaven and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

No, I’m addicted to being offended and confrontation. The internet is the best thing that’s ever happened for me.

ARK, latheofheaven, US Blues and 5 others like this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

No Mickey no...laundry?

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, uzn007 and 9 others like this.
  5. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Winner!

6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Gettin’ psyched for the upcoming Philly ‘73 Dave’s by playing the final show of the Spring ‘73 East Coast tour:

Dave’s Picks Volume 21
    Boston Garden, Boston, MA
    4/2/73
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Get in the groove and ltgtr.

laf848, budwhite, trd and 9 others like this.
  8. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Using candleflame and lemon juice I was able to discern @fishcane's original post before apparent fear of public rebuke led to bit of conformist reductionism:

It's gotta be Mayer
    A stone cold playa
    Phat riffs, not anorexic
    Better'n Garcia when cachexic

Courage comes in all forms. For instance, I'm headed to Knoxville shortly with friends who plan a definitive live demonstrate as to how the erratic, atonal, and cacophonous howlings of a traditional piano, standup bass, and minimal drum trio constitute higher art. Having covertly listened to the Bandcamp CliffNotes, as well as orienting my compass to true north with a bit of Jarret/Peacock/DeJohnette, I feel critically - if not aesthetically - prepared.

Edit - thread relevance: none.

9. sami

sami Mono still rules

You've definitely come to the right place.

10. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

And I’m offended by the easily offended so we will get along just fine:laugh:

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I’m offended by bob weirs footwear in this DVD I’m watching.

dgwint, ARK, Erik B. and 4 others like this.
  12. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Kate - all you need is an open mind and heart to hear formally unlistenable genius improvisational magic music. When you are near NYC, check in here:)

13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Fun story, I saw some of the first Rat Dog shows in 1996 with Vince in the band. I had a very good attitude about going to the show, I played Heaven Help every day for a month leading up to it. Day of the show I ate some boomers and got tits on the rail at Mesa Amphitheater. Bobby came out wearing that shirt and what I now understand to be yoga pants. The linen kind that are cut off mid calf. He may have had the pink guitar but in I’m not certain. It REALLY freaked me out. The show was horrendous, nothing like Heaven Help the fool or anything that resembled what a man that spent 30 years playing guitar with the grateful dead should be doing. Vince's face was bright red like a fever blister that was about to pop and he may have been nodding off, his playing was very sloppy and booby was getting bitchy about it. Bobby ran through a 3 minute version of FOTD that was just down right offensive. I looked over at my buddy and we knew it was time to bail.

I’m still disturbed by that shirt. Dare I say, offended.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, uzn007 and 6 others like this.
  15. notesofachord

The C-i-a>-i-e- on 4/2/73 is unbelievably great, if weren’t already aware.

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, adamos and 6 others like this.
  16. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Folks I know there are still cheering for Jim Hart's Cardinals....

Crispy Rob, dgwint, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  17. notesofachord

The Playing the Band is quite notable as well. Jerry’s complete mastery of his wah pedal as an improvisatory tool by this point is impressive.

Crispy Rob, adamos, uzn007 and 4 others like this.
  18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Tonight I'm doing a compare/contrast of Slipknot! (no Help; no Franklin's, just Slipknot!) from 2/26/77, 5/9/77, 5/22/77 and 6/9/77. Each one gets two listens in varying order. For my first pass, I'm listening to the 2/26/77 version last simply because I've listened to that something like 17 times over the past several days. I'm fairly convinced that the best version lies somewhere therein (which just so happens to correspond, when one adds in the rather brief/LP-derivative 8/13/75 version, to the top 5 at headylemmingsversion. I know; don't rub it in. Even a broken clock is right twice a day).

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, ARK and 7 others like this.
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The Thrill Is Gone.

20. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

You know... They don't call him Ramblin Jack just because he travels around a lot.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    ducksdeluxe, bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

I put this together to listen to a bunch of Slipknots.

22. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Ignore list.

23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I can't tell the players without a scorecard. It used to be that you could buy a program and scorecard at baseball game for $1.00 (or perhaps even $0.50) when I was a yute. Now they're probably $27.50 plus a two-drink minimum at $13 a pop (not fly).

So, are we all ignoring each other now or is this some inside joke where the 73-second listeners don't get clued in? :nyah:

24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Possibly.

25. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

ARK, Erik B., latheofheaven and 6 others like this.