The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This UJB* is epic. And it contains a super mini-Dark Star at the end.

*Uncle John's Band.

This is a two-mini Dark Stars show so far.

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Na Na Na Na n Na naah, gettin’ plinky wit it.

[​IMG]

3. trd

trd Forum Resident

Earthquake! A 4.7 just shook my house. Haven’t felt one like that in awhile, and we are days away from the 30th anniversary of the Loma Prieta quake

footlooseman, KCWhistle and US Blues like this.
  4. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Careful Bro...

5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Be safe, man. There could be an aftershock.

6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Weather Report Suite Prelude-> Dark Star-> Eyes Of The World-> Wharf Rat-> Sugar Magnolia

1973-03-21 Utica, NY

Could use an upgrade. It's hissy as hell and a bit distant. A new transfer from the master reels and some restoration work and I would't mind hearing this as a Dave's Pricks in the future...

7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The next night is also release worthy. And sounds better!

mrogers and footlooseman like this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I'm on Eyes now and it's very distorted/muddy. I'm not sure if a new transfer will fix that. Might be the recording.

*edit
    The last 5-7min of Eyes is totally worth hearing

And Dark Star wasn't an all time version, far from it. Still nice enough though.
    I'll take the jam segment from 3/21 as a bonus disc to 3/22...

9. sami

sami Mono still rules

Finally.

US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

The "keyboard figure" is affectionately known as the ROR - repetitive organ riff. :tiphat:

wavethatflag and bzfgt like this.
  11. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I thought someone would tell me, “Please, call it an ostinato.”

Panama Hotel, sami, adamos and 2 others like this.
  12. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Did you actually just post that or was my coffee dosed this morning?

13. wavethatflag

Just as Drums was putting me into a trance bordering on sleep, Billy gives Mickey’s nonsense a steady back beat. (7/10/89)

Edit: Oh, I’ll just say it—this drums and space is just way too long. This would be a great show to get in a fight with your girlfriend, break up, go out with your friends, and then get back together, because you’d have time for all that and more.

Edit: I made it all the way through to Iko. I need a shave though.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  14. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Yes.

Crispy Rob, ARK, Wright and 2 others like this.
  15. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Did you catch the mini Slipknot tease at the end of Space?

Crispy Rob, ARK, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  16. wavethatflag

No, I didn’t. I’ll have to rewind and check it out.

Edit: Yup, it’s there. It’s mostly Brent doing it. Fairly subtle. I didn’t notice because I was dying for Space to be over. I wasn’t in the right frame of mind.

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, sami and 2 others like this.
  17. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Currently listening to 4/5/95 via archive, my only show. Final readings of Johnny B Goode and Maggie's Farm, which werewolf would say is HOT!! This is probably my favorite of Bob's Dylan tunes.

Great reading of TMNS. You can hear Jerry miss a few notes early in the song but almost from brute force wrangles a fantastic guitar solo over the last few minutes, rat scrubbing included.

Really nice spring 95 show, and I dont think it's just my ramble on rose colored glasses talking.

A nice stretched out jazzy 14 minute Uncle John's Band. If it weren't for Jerry's vocals, you could be forgiven for mistaking this is lifted from 1974. Vince rocking piano and B3 sounds. Fantastic!

Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center Coliseum, Birmingham, AL (Wednesday 4/5/95)

Touch Of Grey
    Wang Dang Doodle
    Stagger Lee
    Me And My Uncle* ->
    Maggie's Farm*
    Row Jimmy
    The Music Never Stopped

Here Comes Sunshine
    Way To Go Home
    Truckin ->
    That Would Be Something ->
    Uncle John's Band ->
    Matilda** ->
    Drums **->
    Space ->
    I Need A Miracle ->
    Morning Dew

E: Johnny B Goode

*Weir on acoustic
    **with Willie Green on drums

18. US Blues

The 'hound broke down and left us all stranded,
    In downtown Birmingham...

19. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

WTF. Nice catch.

ARK, KCWhistle, Spadeygrove and 3 others like this.
  20. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Still smoking Pearl Jam crack collecting and organizing all my bootlegs, but while doing so tonight I played the first proper Dead set in about a month or so.

A regular favorite of yours and mine, 9/11/74

The show deserves full release but that whole segment from Eyes of the World through the very end of the show is one of the greatest sets of music the guys ever played, imo. Just next-level awesome

:)

21. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Mind BLOWN :yikes:

laf848, wavethatflag, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  22. US Blues

Happy 72nd Birthday to Bob Weir.

np: 16 October 1974- Winterland.

23. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

The Dark Star on Dave’s Picks Vol.30 (1/70) is worthy of a listen.

24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

1974-09-20 this is a weird one.

A rather odd show, at times disjointed and the mix gets weird. Starts out hot with a smoking Cumberland, Jerry very high in the mix; then really good versions of Jack Straw, Roses, BTW, a hot Scarlet with exceptionally good middle solo (2x) where Jerry is starting to explore a little more, and he plays slide on the outro (1st time?). FOTD is better this time, though not great, exactly. China>Rider is weird, Phil begins to swamp the mix; I couldn't entirely get my head around it. Brokedown Palace is emotional but sloppy; Truckin’>Jam is at times very interesting, somewhat weird and disjointed at others, goes into a meltdown, then a hot Eyes> where Jerry now dominates the mix again, and plays hot leads, the end jam at times feels disjointed again; then a great NFA with hot Garcia leads, and then it gets really interesting when a very loud Keith gets a showcase at the end; Jerry comes back in and doubles him and then takes it out to a fast-paced GDTRFB> with again seriously great Garcia, and then a strangely languid OMSN to end the set.

I can't say it's a great show, or a bad one; it's a fascinating one, and needs more scrutiny at some point. It doesn't always all seem to hang together, but just when I get frustrated something cool happens...

Crispy Rob, LucaB, adamos and 5 others like this.
  25. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I wrapped up the 10/17/74 show last night. I thought 10/16 was very good, but this was definitely better, if not as out-there. (Granted, it would be hard to top the massive second set of 10/16 on that front.) First set songs are uniformly well-played, among them the China>Rider from the Movie Soundtrack and the WRS from the Beyond Description bonus disc.

The bulk of the second set constitutes disc 2 of the Movie Soundtrack, presented there as He's Gone>Jam>Weirdness>TOO>Spanish Jam>MLB Jam>TOO>Stella Blue, and all I can say is that this really is a remarkable chunk of music, and a compelling enough reason on its own to pick up the Soundtrack. That's the sort of track list that, at one time, I would've balked at, but yesterday it was pure pleasure.

The second set-opening Scarlet Begonias is wonderful, too, better than the night before, and the front half of Sugar Magnolia and part of Casey Jones made the Soundtrack (the latter was unedited on Steal Your Face). I haven't gone back to check other sources, but on mine Ramble on Rose is missing a couple minutes -- the closing lines come in WAY too early -- which is a damn shame because this is a very very fine rendition. I'm not going to cheat and look ahead to the other setlists, but I have to assume this was the last pre-hiatus version. It's played with deep feeling, well sung, and at an almost stately tempo. There's an unmistakable sense of finality to it that I think is representative of the best of what I've heard from this run.

Given the relatively varied repertoire thus far, it's hard not to sense an element of box-checking in these shows, but it's also impossible not to feel that they're deeply committed to doing this right. Two shows in and my gut feeling that October 74 would make a fine box set is undiminished.

Crispy Rob, WaterLemon, ARK and 7 others like this.