The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Jerry’s Middle Finger is playing in the Grate Room tonight. I’m watching a YouTube video and the guitar player is obviously trying to look like Jerry.

Anybody know of and like this assemblage?

budwhite likes this.
  2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

the original nipper dog is a few miles from where I work.

[​IMG]

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I may have to change my custom title so I can comfortably leave your request unfulfilled. Otherwise I feel I’m betraying the side.

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  4. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]
    1980-11-30 Atlanta

The matrix mix is real good. You hardly notice it...
    Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain is 1980s great!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Crispy Rob, adamos, US Blues and 7 others like this.
  6. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Today I listened to the first set from 1990-03-14 again....I love everything about it, the band is almost unimaginably hot. I even like "Never Trust a Woman" or "Good Times Blues" or whatever it's called, even though the lyrics are terrible. I was wondering who to blame, but apparently they let Brent write his own lyrics this time? Bad move. But Jerry is hot hot hot on the guitar.

I finished up 1972-08-24 also...the Dark Star is stunning, outstanding, astonishing, mind bending...post-verse is a meltdown-y jam...I hate to type it by calling it a "meltdown," as cool as those can be this is a whole jam that slips into a cavern of weirdness for the duration of the post-verse section, until the last minute or so when everything gets quiet and Phil takes it into an excellent Morning Dew. I need to listen to this again soon, words are failing me but it's a tremendous Dark Star.

I don't know how long it's been since I've listened to this Dark Star, but a minimum of two years, maybe longer...I remembered the one from the 21st much better, for some reason, but this one is amazing. Both are great, the BCT run is really killer. But as I alluded to above, something about going from 72 to 90 right after really excited me, as in general it does when I switch eras; it's almost like there's a whole other band waiting out there to check out, maybe. I should probably do like ianuaditis and do two (or even three) years at a time rather than one. I would love to listen to the whole Spring 90 tour...it's hard to agree with Dave L that E 72, Spring 77 and Spring 90 are their three best tours, but Spring 90 has to be in the conversation, I think...it's got its own thing going, and everything feels really charged and exciting.

Every Other One from Summer 1972 is great (although 6-17 doesn't sound good enough to make me want to revisit it much); 07-21 is probably the least of them but still great, and several have really unique sections (see especially 07-25!)--the level of jamming is incredibly high, they aren't just running through well worn grooves but playing creative, imaginative improvisations. Every Dark Star between Europe and Veneta is fantastic; in fact I would say Veneta, while it is great, is the least of them (although I will revisit it very soon and who knows, my verdict can always change).

Two further remarks--PiTB from 1972-07-18 is my favorite post-Europe, pre-Veneta; I have to see what I think of Veneta's, it's been years and to be honest, like the Dark Star, I have at times thought it a tad overrated.

And--the best Bird Song from this stretch (again, pre-Veneta, which latter is in this case not overrated) is definitely and without question 1972-08-12, all you Bird Song aficionados need to check this one out!

Crispy Rob, adamos, US Blues and 5 others like this.
  7. bzfgt

I went to their web site ad randomly clicked a video (JERRY'S MIDDLE FINGER (JMF) - VIDEO ), it was "Money Honey." From the little I heard, my first take is that the guitar player is great.

I don't think I can link to the specific video, but on the rightmost column it's the second one down.

He's doing Jerry, flat out, and really nothing else...but he's doing a damn fine job of it.

ianuaditis and wavethatflag like this.
  8. budwhite

[​IMG]
    1978-04-22 Nashville

• It Must Have Been The Roses
    • Estimated Prophet >
    • Eyes Of The World >
    • Rhythm Devils >
    • Not Fade Away >
    • Wharf Rat >
    • Sugar Magnolia
    • One More Saturday Night
    Swell of a time!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Crispy Rob, laf848, Erik B. and 13 others like this.
  9. bzfgt

@ianuaditis

This question is for anyone, but I feel like he might know.

When do they start playing that section that goes "bump dump dump/bump dump badumpadump/bump dump dump badump" in Let It Grow? I realize there's probably grey area between when they first play it and when they aren't yet, but around when does that become the standard thing?

uzn007, KCWhistle, trd and 3 others like this.
  10. budwhite

[​IMG]
    1978-01-22 Eugene

Tennessee Jed
    Jack Straw

Crispy Rob, laf848, Erik B. and 9 others like this.
  11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

lol, I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure when that started. My guess is 'late 73,' I'll check my notes later.

US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  12. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Later on (late 80’s??) they obsess on that riff and it ruins the jam, IMO

13. bzfgt

So, I seek input...maybe even advice...

I. I just switched from ipods to a FLAC player with removable cards. On my dedicated GD ipods, I had the "artist" labels "Grateful Dead," "Grateful Dead-Dave," and "Grateful Dead-Dick." I put the Picks in their own separate categories to make it possible to treat them each as a series and as releases, although when there was a lot of material from more than one date I tagged them accordingly (so, for instance, I had two albums for Dick 12, one for 6-26 and one for 6-28).

This time I decided to do everything by date, though, and unless (for instance Road Trips 1.2) it's a comp with a bunch of dates, again everything is organized by date.

So now, if I want to listen to 1977, I'll find Dave 12 under "1977-11-04 DAVE 12 Colgate U."

I wonder if that's the best way? I'm starting to think more artist titles could be better, so on one card I have 3.88 GB of music under the artist title "Grateful Dead."

I wonder if the best thing might be to make the artist titles something like "Grateful Dead 1966-1969," "Grateful Dead 1970-1972," or something like that, or even one title for each year.

On one hand, if I know what I'm looking for, that would clearly be better. But on the other hand, if I'm just looking and thinking "What should I listen to?" it could be better to have it go I do now, where I can just scroll the whole thing.

And the last concern is if I redo the artist titles now, that's a lot of tagging, considering I'd have to do small enough batches to keep the software from crashing, and I'd have to pick through the releases...

What do other people do? What do you think?

I'll save "II" for a separate post...

14. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

would really like to pick this up sometime, since it’s my hometown.

15. bzfgt

I'm pretty sure they don't do it that early, nor 1974. There may be a dispute to be had about that, since it's basically how it goes but the riff becomes really distinct.

There's no way you can miss what I'm talking about, it's not subtle--just put on any LIG from the late 80s (say 1990-03-14 since that's the last one I listened to) and listen to right after the final vocals, they go right into it.

budwhite, trd, wavethatflag and 2 others like this.
  16. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

Listening to 2/26/73 Nebraska (Dicks 28) on a sunny day in Oregon. The DS>Eyes>Miss Half Step just blew my mind! The DS is very smooth and subtle and almost disappears about 1/3 of the way through. Lots of open space for the mind to wander. You are very comfortable, but expecting something over the horizon. Jerry brings the lyrics in for the first time about 3/4 in. After that, for the last 6 minutes or so, light and sound explode! Only to be brought back to earth with the introduction to Eyes. The music moves from your imagination to your feet and you are back on the earth again. Wonderful stuff!

17. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Great heavy metal Phil after the verse of the Dark Star. One of my favorite Stars.

Crispy Rob, trd, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Agreed. Lump MIDI on it and I'm out.

budwhite, trd, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  19. bzfgt

Yeah I went to UO and thought of that show whenever I passed Mac Court....

Crispy Rob, budwhite, trd and 2 others like this.
  20. bzfgt

I like it fine but you have a point insofar as it becomes fairly predictable as a result.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  21. bzfgt

II.

Second question for those with FLAC player type things.

One of my SD cards--the one full of GD--it freezes every time on the "artist" page (which I don't need, since there's only one artist, but still)...I have to wait about 75 seconds for it to click into the album list, and during that time even the on button does nothing.

But it doesn't do this on my other two cards.

Any idea what could cause this? Is this something about which I ought to be concerned, or should I content myself with clicking "albums" and circumventing the "artists' page? (and this could become irksome if I put JGB on it)

22. track11

track11 Forum Resident

I do it by years (some individual, 1972; some grouped, 1980s). There are too many shows to put in one folder that I think I would never scroll through them all.

bzfgt likes this.
  23. bzfgt

Yeah, I'm starting to think that is so. Thank you.

Now I just have a few hours of tagging to dread, if I change it...

24. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Yes, I'm friends with Garrett and he has guested in one of my bands a half dozen times. Fantastic player and a really great guy, friendly and easy-going. Garrett has at times gone with or without a beard and with shorter or longer hair and yes has looked spookily like Jerry at times. Not sure how intentional it is, I've never talked to him about it. Definitely the top JGB tribute act in SoCal and they tour regionally as well, obviously.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, Archtop and 5 others like this.
  25. bzfgt

Listening to 1980-11-08, inspired by (I think it was) @budwhite ...Big River right now...it is hot, and the first solo is not a throwaway. Great show from front to back, I would suggest.

Crispy Rob likes this.