The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

It’s not The Eagles, man, it’s just Eagles.

2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I haven't been listening to much Grateful Dead lately, tonight I've been listening to the Rage Against the Machine.

And also this, which I didn't know existed, in spite of many searches for 'grateful dead covers'

3. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

It’s definitely not Beatles, it’s The Beatles.

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

that entire album is fantastic, I love how his voice took on this Ralph Stanley vibe in the last few years, what a treat it was to live so close to his studios to have visited a couple times

Crispy Rob, footlooseman, trd and 5 others like this.
  5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I was reading a lengthy interview with Ned Lagin and David Gans, and Ned talked about playing on stage with the Dead. He talked about the ‘74 Alexandra Palace shows, and mentioned the unreleased second set of 9/11/74. Fantastic half-hour Seastones with the whole band>Eyes>Wharf Rat. Jerry was so “amused” by Ned’s playing that you can hear him belly-laughing with Ned for quite some time between Wharf Rat and Around & Around. Fortunately most of the second set circulates in great SQ. Check it out!

6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Great album! Thanks for reminding us. Will revisit.

fishcane and Guy Smiley like this.
  7. Guy Smiley

Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion man. ;)

8. Freebird

I’m pretty sure it’s The Beatles.

9. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Just listened to the November '76 studio takes on the Cats Under The Stars CD reissue from the 2000s.

Apart from sounding just lovely, they had the makings of a nice little LP. Anyone know the story of those recordings? They're definitely proper attempts at album tracks - overdubbed vocals and whatnot. I think the booklet suggests it was an aborted LP and I suppose that's the extent of it. Wish they'd come up with something for early '77. I feel that it would have been a darn sight better than the Terrapin LP later that year.

KCWhistle and fishcane like this.
  10. Guy Smiley

Of course it is. I’m just messing around here. Both of my previous posts were quotes that oddly connect in some way. No big.

wavethatflag and Freebird like this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

A bit confused here. You're saying the JGB would have made a better record than Terrapin Station if they'd done it then? And would it have been better than the Cats Under The Stars album too?

I think there's a bit more about this on one of those blogs about solo Garcia, Jerry Garcia's Middle Finger or Hooterollin'. I could check sometime.

12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I'm saying that I think the hypothetical JGB album that those late '76 outtakes hinted at would surely have been better than Terrapin. I doubt they could have done any better than Cats Under The Stars turned out, a year and a half later. Waiting was maybe for the best. Cats Under The Stars is, I think, a wonderful album.

13. Freebird

There’s a song called Brown-eyed Woman on Winterland 73 The Complete Recordings disc one (11/9/73).

Sounds like Brown-eyed Women if you ask me.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

10 November 1973- Winterland.

Right now at the balance point in The Palindrome. Yum!

10 Nov 1967 will get a turn later today.

15. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

11/10&11/1967
    [​IMG]

16. Freebird

Rocking the PITB from 11/9/73 in 80 kbps HE-AAC.

Incredible performance and an amazingly performing audio codec.

KCWhistle and John69 like this.
  17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

So you're saying the band's proper name is "The Eagles Good Time SoCal Band"? I've heard that before.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  18. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I'm pretty sure it was originally released as "Brown Eyed Woman" on Europe 72. It was later said to be a typo.

19. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

If only the Springfield had been recorded properly on those dates too!

20. Guy Smiley

That’s how the they started! It was the name of their variety hour, summer replacement show on ABC.

They shortened it later, because the name wrapped all the way around the marquees of theaters they played.

frightwigwam, trd and wavethatflag like this.
  21. ianuaditis

Even without that interview, which I think is in the 2nd edition of the book, Gans' Conversations with the Dead is essentially reading for any GD fan (it's kind of crazy that even the third and fourth tiers of GD personnel are compelling interviewees.)

I'd buy the book for the Lagin interview alone.

22. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I just requested it from my local library, thanks!

US Blues, hyde park and ianuaditis like this.
  23. ianuaditis

Ha, if it's biblio, you will probably get the same copy I read a few months ago...

Jerry likes this.
  24. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

Just noticed its available for $2.99 on kindle at Amazon.com

Stone Turntable and ianuaditis like this.
  25. ianuaditis

I'm a stickler for hard copies, it looks like it's on Abe books for 4.00 and up. (Really $7-10 with shipping seems to be as low as it goes.)

And while I'm on the topic of GD Books, I wish someone in publishing would take note of the fact that titles like the GD gear book or Volumes 2 and 3 of the Taping Compendium seem to command ridiculous prices, and maybe thinking about doing a small print run at regular price...

I'd be willing to preorder those titles for something in the 20-30 dollar range, which I think is fairly reasonable for books of that size and binding. It's hard to find one secondhand for less than $50 online, even in non-mint condition, and I've never come across one in a real used bookstore.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Crispy Rob, talkingleaf and garymc like this.