The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

I used to be, particularly for music history and biographies and “Beat” literature. But the older I get and look at all my packed bookshelves, the more often I go with the kindle version.

Freebird and ianuaditis like this.
  2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Yes, Bibiomation. Greatest invention since the Bill Russell double-action capo. At least I won’t lose a finger using Bibliomation.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

There is also the one where they switch into double-time, can’t temember exactly when offhand but I posted about it here when I came across it a few years ago.

ianuaditis and sami like this.
  4. sami

sami Mono still rules

5. John69

John69 Forum Resident

12/05/81 is the show.

It's a cold Sunday and I have some Jams going. Feels good.
    06/16/90 Jam/Space/Drums
    07/06/90 Jam
    07/08/90 Jam
    07/12/90 Dark Star

Crispy Rob, US Blues, adamos and 2 others like this.
  6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I still miss ReQuest, but supposedly FinditCT will be similar. Bibliomation works for 75% of what I try to get as it is.

I can't remember the library, I want to say it was Derby, but there was some Jerry Garcia CD it blocked me from requesting a few months back.

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Derby Public or Derby Neck? I frequent both.

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I grew up in the area but didn’t know any of those names had changed (except East River, of course, which I always knew as FDR). But I do still fear the Van Wyck. They say that no one has ever beaten the Van Wyck. Although maybe John Wick could...

trd, US Blues, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  9. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I'd really love to have the tapers' compendiums back in print, even if in the age of Archive and the recent glut of new tapes popping up. The reviews are invaluable, far more so than the random smattering in DeadBase. Isn't there an addendum/4th volume that brings things more up to date, too?

Crispy Rob, Freebird, trd and 2 others like this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Terrible song. I saw one of the two versions, in Pittsburgh 6/26/88, an otherwise solid but unremarkable show.

trd and fishcane like this.
  11. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

Hi chaps
    I have a question about this taping community thing - how did this work? I understand that tapers weren’t allowed to make a profit (how cool is that?!) but how did the average Joe manage? How, back in the day, did one manage to get hold of a Harper College May 70 tape for example?

I remember as a teenager in the UK in the early 80s (GD weren’t on my radar unfortunately) market stall traders selling live boots - Kiss, that sort of thing. Would he also have had some Dead shady copies too?

I imagine in the US a taper would make copies, and pass them round to friends; then friends of friends would get hold of second and third copies etc.

I love that accidentally the Dead hit upon the perfect marketing strategy, but wonder how easy it was for the man in the street to get hold of the tapes, especially those early shows, pre-stadium era!

12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Crispy Rob, ARK, KCWhistle and 14 others like this.
  13. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Got a fire going in the back yard, upper 30s or so and 11.10.73 from the set is sounding great.

14. gedsmit

Thoroughly enjoying Daves Picks 30 discs one and two at the moment, waiting for Match of the Day and the Liverpool/City match (don’t tell me the score!)

Crispy Rob and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It was quite easy because a lot of tapers and/or tape traders would send you tapes in exchange for extra blank tapes. Pretty much everyone who wanted them got ahold of them.

People did sell bootlegs at their little stalls, too.

Crispy Rob, trd and gedsmit like this.
  16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I think Half Step from 1977-11-05 is one of the absolute top versions.

17. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I grew up on LI and lived in Manhattan for a while. In my life, I think I've only been on the Van Wyck once or twice. All directions that include the Van Wyck are automatically wrong.
    Also, the Interboro was renamed for Jackie Robinson a while ago.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, when I started in the 90's I would look for people with ads in the fanzines saying "beginners welcome" and they would usually ask you to send 8 blanks, and then would send you 6 tapes (or a similar ratio). Then, if you picked good stuff, you could start finding people who didn't have stuff you had and set up proper trades.

Crispy Rob, trd, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I haven't seen it, but yes, I understand there was a short addendum after the third volume. A lot of SBDs from around 1969 to 74 and some from 1977 surfaced after Dick Latvala died (apparently leaked in his honor?) and weren't covered in the original Compendiums.

20. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I started getting tapes in college (early 90s). I had a decent dual cassette deck so that was easy.
    There was a record store about 30 minutes away from where I grew up which sold tapes for either 25 or 50 cents plus the cost of blanks. That was frowned upon but I didn't really see the big deal. That couldn't have been a big money maker, more of like a gratuity for the guy running copies.
    When the internet came around, I got involved with the rec.music.gdead board which ran tape trees. You would get tapes in the mail and make copies for the next guy on the list.
    Bootleg stores always had a handful of vinyl or cd boots but I never bought any.

21. gedsmit

All good: Got as far as “Me and my Uncle,” love that song; Liverpool won; and my copy of Peter Richardson’s “No Simple Highway” arrived on Saturday, so will be starting that on the train commute tomorrow morning

budwhite, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  22. gedsmit

Cool - that makes perfect sense, swapping a few blanks for a recording. Very GD stylee!

Crispy Rob, trd and bzfgt like this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The best post-hiatus Stephen, IMHO. Garcia gets really creative on this one.

budwhite, fishcane and Jerry like this.
  24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The usual was blanks and return postage, but it was easier to just add a few blanks to cover the return shipping.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and Coltrane811 like this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

4/3/82’s Scarlet->Fire is a fine, fine version of that dynamic duo.