The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yeah, I was dosed at 6/14/91, but not at Giants '91, so that was a factor. I stupidly didn't go to any of the '89 Byrne run except for 10/11, although I easily could have gone to at least two or three more that run. After spending all summer at west coast shows, and seeing Hampton, I decided after one show that harshness of the yellow jackets was not worth it, but looking back, I should have stuck it out, and should have known that Weir's birthday show on 10/16 was one not to miss...

adamos, budwhite and bzfgt like this.
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I have to figure they pre-planned it. Maybe there was a lot of press and chatter and whatnot with the 15th anniversary shows at Folsom coming up, and they started taking stock and jokingly said let's embrace our prankster roots and throw 'em a curve ball... but your zoning out theory is at least equally good.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

4/4/87 would be a good way under the radar official release someday, in particular...

uzn007, Bill Cormier and ianuaditis like this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Listening to the great Alligator 1968-08-23, the version that is bonus on Two From the Vault...Pigpen is integral to the jam here and really cooking along, and he initiates the "First There is a Mountain" theme at 12:48...what did they want, an egg in their beer?

ARK, notesofachord, adamos and 5 others like this.
  5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I'm gonna have to revisit that one sometime. IWT! Glens Falls was a great barn for shows- big enough to get the energy moving but small enough so that one didn't feel lost. I missed venues like that as time went along, always a hot night at the Civic Center.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't think that song's so bad, but I wasn't going to shows then and seeing it every time. Sort of like Lost Sailor.

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  7. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Never been to glens falls. I saw them in Utica in 79. The capacity there is under 6000 so it wasn't bad.

ianuaditis, wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I believe Dick Latvala said once that spring 87 wasn't in the vault because Dan Healy never delivered the tapes.

9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Glens Falls is a bit smaller, maybe 5000 if it's oversold. In '81 we were standing on the hockey players benches after climbing over the boards. A great view above the floor crowd but not blocking the view of the folks in the bleachers.

10. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I listened to the Saint Of Circumstance LPs from 6/17/91 last night and, it might have been the Indica Gelcap but, I think Jeffrey Norman mixed this from Jerry’s stage position looking out at the crowd... Vince/Bruce on his right/our left, Bobby and Phil his left/our right. Am I crazy?

ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I think V/B were on his left/our right, unless I am totally misremembering...

12. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Good ear.
    I noticed how obviously slowed down that section sounds on the YouTube video. It was jarring. At first, I assumed it only sounded slow because it comes on the heels of that 11-6-79 Philly Jack Straw, but now I think the YouTube conversion played havoc with the audio. I really need to do some research to alleviate the effects of the compression or whatever happens when these FLAC files get converted.

Archtop likes this.
  13. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

No, you’re correct, but I’m also correct despite getting confused in my first post. In the left channel of the recording you hear Vince/Bruce and Bob/Phil are Centre-Right on the recording, which matches my theory that this is mixed from Jerry’s stage view/position.

bzfgt likes this.
  14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Lion's Share
    Early Show
    San Anselmo, CA
    Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders
    September 24, 1971
    • [​IMG]
      Jerry Garcia guitar, vocals
    • [​IMG]
    • Merl Saunders keyboards, vocals
    • [​IMG]
      John Kahn
      bass
    • [​IMG]
      Bill Kreutzmann
      drums
    • [​IMG]
      Tom Fogerty
      guitar, vocals
    Man, late '71 and early '72 Jer and Merl is gold. Something should be released for the people who don't do the free fanmade stuff.
    Tom Fogerty is great, the whole band is! It's so anusual to hear Garcia play with any other rhythm guitarist but Weir. Great stuff I tell ya.

CCR lost a big part of their sound when Tom left. I'm glad that he partnered up with Jerry for a little while.

Jerry Garcia's Middle Finger: Enter Tom Fogerty

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  15. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I havn’t listened to any Jerry outside the Dead in a while. Looking forward to the new one from early 72. Supposedly from 16 track tapes. Not usually my thing but I would think the new release will be something I might like.

16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Early '73 friend.
    Should be interesting with that female "jam" singer. I've never heard of her before this show was announced.

ianuaditis and Dahabenzapple like this.
  17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Yes, that's quite the contrast. But it seems as if whatever aberration is happening is variable. Some of those tracks sounded more or less spot on pitch-wise. Good luck sorting it out. I enjoy these montages of yours. I'm assuming you've seen this: 1972 Dark Star.

Jack Cerro likes this.
  18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Man, I couldn't find the May 19, 1977 "Playing" thread, so here I am.

Date accuracy of this post provided by DeadDateCheck. DeadDateCheck--the downloadable app that ensures the accuracy of the date you're supposedly listening to while posting in The Grateful Thread.

"Wow, I love this 5/10/77 Playing!"

"Do you mean 5/19? There was no show on 5/10."

"Leave me alone troll! Gort! Help me, Gort!"

This ugly scene could have been avoided had the initial poster used DeadDateCheck.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Listened to most of 12/30/78 this morning. Some funny banter between the band caught on the SBD tape in the first set, as one of the drummers heckles Weir for slow tempos after "Looks Like Rain," then later in the set the drummers want Garcia to play "Sugaree," but he starts up "Tennessee Jed" instead and one of them says "oh no!" He does play "Sugaree" later in the set.

Other than that, it's a good tape if you're a Hamza El Din fan as he appears after Drums, eventually joined by the band, in the most interesting section of the show. Weir mentions in the between-set interview the following night how cool this was.

20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

6/10/73 as many know is an amazing show. So far I’ve got through the typically inventive 73 style PITB.

Maybe the most impressive Dead set list ever.

laf848, KCWhistle, US Blues and 10 others like this.
  21. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

I've been on a classical binge lately, and between that and working long hours, haven't been around these parts much, but thought I'd say hi. "Listening To Classical Music and Conversation" like this one, is another great thread on this board, full of friendly knowledgeable people.

Anyway, many mornings I'm in a hurry to get to work and just let the tunes play on shuffle. When I do this, I never go more than 4-5 tunes without a Dead song coming on. So one day this week, Stella Blue from 7/3/78 came on and blew my mind. This was immediately followed by a Hurts Me Too from an E72 show. I sat in the parking lot at work not wanting to leave the car, for I realized the best part of my day had just passed.

Peace.

22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’ve been listening to a lot of ultramatrixes these days as C. Miller has been pumping them out. Despite the lower fidelity source on many... I’m finding them more enjoyable than the purer SBD sources that circulate. Healy really was on to something when he got it dialed in...

AnalogDelay and budwhite like this.
  23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

And the way it plays out, it would fit rather nicely on 4 CDs. *cough* Of course, there's that daft rule about no cover tunes on bonus discs. :crazy:

laf848, KCWhistle, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You mean Pearson, not Healy...

AnalogDelay, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure I meant Healy... but I have been wrong before...

AnalogDelay and ianuaditis like this.