The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

they gotta do 10/14/80 - it's the reckoning version of Bird Song, and the close of electric set one is as good as it looks. Set two speaks for itself.
    Grateful Dead
    Warfield Theatre
    San Francisco, CA
    Date 10/14/80
    One
    Dire Wolf [3:08] ; Dark Hollow [3:52] ; It Must Have Been The Roses [6:00] ; Cassidy [5:47] ; I've Been All Around This World [4:15] ; Monkey And The Engineer [2:23] ; China Doll [5:18] ; Heaven Help The Fool [6:32] ; Bird Song [8:29] > Ripple [4:06]
    Two
    Alabama Getaway [4:28] > Greatest Story Ever Told [4:03] ; Friend Of The Devil [9:43] ; Me And My Uncle [3:03] > Mexicali Blues [4:27] ; Candyman [7:33] ; Little Red Rooster [8:53] ; Tennessee Jed [8:26] > Let It Grow[10:51] > The Wheel [5:01] > The Music Never Stopped [7:09]
    Three
    Scarlet Begonias [9:42] > Fire On The Mountain [8:39] ; Estimated Prophet [9:52] > Terrapin Station [12:10] > Playing In The Band [7:14] > Drums (1) [10:10] > Space [5:33] > I Need A Miracle [3:44] > Uncle John's Band [6:43] > Morning Dew [10:02] > Playing In The Band [2:46] > Good Lovin'[8:05]
    Encore
    U.S. Blues ; Brokedown Palace [5:21]

2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

The question I haven't answered yet is which out of May and July/August '74 is better. I can't pick.

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

They're different. The band continually evolved during this period of time.

4. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

Not available on spotify ? Where is this available?

5. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

The other image of Bobby on the back cover has a shot of him wearing glasses i believe.

6. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Right now revisiting 4/26/69. It was a very long time since I last hit this, I remember not really enjoying this show that much (or at best I found it decent) but on this second listen I have to say I’m a much bigger fan. Either it must be a grower or I’m just in a different mindset this time around and is therefore able to enjoy it better. With that said the late 60’s era is not really ‘accessible ‘ Dead so it might make sense.

The China Cat Sunflower is very trippy and unique, Mountains Of The Moon is performed delicately (one of my fave versions) and Dupree's Diamond Blues is a very good opener. Currently on Doin' That Rag which is a neat one. Love late 60's Dead.

7. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I saw/heard that and loved it. Deadheads are everywhere.

Archtop, Oliver, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  8. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I have a palm tree label version with that black and white picture of Bob on the back cover. Although the front of my cover does not have the Bob 'Ace' Weir or the Of the Grateful Dead writing. I do believe I bought that in the 80's, that LP was always a had get, really tough to find. Never really saw it in much in stores even after I bought mine. I remember picking my up from a trip to Princeton Records.

SJR likes this.
  9. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

As it should be! :righton:

10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

11. trd

trd Forum Resident

The audio guy on fox used to post on a different music board that I frequent. A few years back for the MLB playoffs he was taking requests

He plays panic, phish, dead, and occasionally drive by truckers

12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

fine, but then you have to leave out 10-19 and 10-20-74, which I am not prepared to do.

I will take calendar 1974 over calendar 1973 in any event, that was just my way to sneak 12-6-73 into my pick.

Make sure to find a version that has the full encore (not on DP 26 nor Fallout from the Phil Zone.)

13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Everybody knows December 1973 is 1974.

Archtop, Crispy Rob, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  14. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

15. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

See also: January 1978 tour.

Crispy Rob and Archtop like this.
  16. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I saw three nights at radio city for the east coast run of this style show. As nice as it was to hear these songs in an acoustic setting I thought some were better than others. Bird song has always been a favorite but although it was played acoustic it was done with an electric arrangement. I always enjoyed the acoustic set songs done that way. I thought they had a better feel done the original way.

17. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Not at all. 19 October 1973 to 20 October 1974 is a Leap Year! :nyah:

18. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 6/30/73[Universal Amphitheater]on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Bird Song.

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It was almost always high energy when I saw it. Most memorable one that I saw live where it sounded explosive and the whole crowd was fully, fully into it was Hartford 3/19/90.

KCWhistle, fishcane, budwhite and 5 others like this.
  20. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Speaking of Phil on vocals. I've just been listening to 1992-06-28, Deer Creek Music Center.

This is one of the shows that gets a highlights 'whole show' rating in the Taper's Compendium.

It is a first class show, for 1992 anyway. Hey there's some great shows in 1992.

Phil sings an awesome Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues. Pretty much hits all of the notes and is very enthusiastic.

Through the whole show Jerry is pretty much on vocally and instrumentally. Beautiful China Doll.

21. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

6.24.76 Providence Civic Center
    Completely amazing... Your post made me go to this one.

[​IMG]

22. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That was a stealth show, with no mailorder, so many people may have decided to go to the show at the last minute (as my buddy and I did), thus, "so glad you made it..."

23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yeah, we were lucky enough to be an hour and half or so drive from the box office when they went on sale.

24. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

I recall that they quickly put the brakes on the unhinged frantic style of the debut and slowed it down, that did not always work for me but as you said the crowd always enjoyed the invitation. All of this Phil talk lead me to the first Keep on Growing another fun one...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Probably their best release ever. They were in full band improv mode at that time. Anything goes and anything did. That's what I'm searching for in music. Reckless abandon. And then nail it. This does.

The Terrapin--> Playin' is spectacular despite some tape anomalies at the start of Terrapin.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020