The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. John69

John69 Forum Resident

I bought some new headphones. Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon. I've got about 25 hours listening so far and my ears are enjoying.

Last week was 05/03/72.
    Currently I am finishing up 05/03/72.
    Next up, maybe 04/07/72.
    It seems as good a time as any to have another run through the Europe 72 shows. They never disappoint.

ThirdBowl, laf848, WaterLemon and 9 others like this.
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Agitation: Dead Crimson Cow. Amon.

All y'all know I love Phil and he's probably my favorite improvisational musician of all time, but I can't for the life of me come up with a full show where he's on fire the whole time. That's not his style. He's someone that really needs to be inspired by what's happening in the moment and when that occurs, he fully invests himself to the point of unsustainability. So he has stretches of absolute brilliance followed by stretches of recovery within a single show. 3/23/75 is a good example. Once STDOMTT/KSM gets going, Phil opens the riff in 6, 8, resets for an 11 or so and finally settles into the proper 7. Not his finest moment, but he eventually brings it. 8/13/75 might be among his finest efforts, but that show is quite rehearsed. So for Phil, I go with moments. The Slipknot! from 2/26/77 is probably the most beast-like performance of his career and the 1/22/78 St. Stephen his most baroque. Versatile guy, brilliant improviser and a rock solid bottom-end when needed, but not a consistently over the top performer within a single show - but who that innovative was? (OK - 'Trane, Dolphy, Mingus...see where this is going?) I'll take the trade-off.

Surprise of the day for new members: check out 12/28/91, Peggy-O and Minglewood for Phil really chawin' it (thanks, @Crispy Rob for the Minglewood recommendation).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    KCWhistle, ThirdBowl, Ezzie and 17 others like this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I suppose that's a healthy way of looking at things. Jerry wasn't on all of the time, no one was. That was not way of the Grateful Dead pre hiatus 1974.

What other people call noodeling in the hour long jams of 1972, I see it as the middle of a dirt road that can lead anywhere.
    But sometimes you are just plodding along like everyone else, until someone in the band catch a lightning of inspiration, and when that happens, that road can take you anywhere on the good old earth, to the ancient pyramids of Egypt or to a Corn field in Iowa(1982), or even to the upper stratosphere, ready to head out for the last frontier in the mighty cosmos.
    I love when that happens. Not to many other bands does that for me in that way. Probably no other.

Right now I'm listening to the end of Englishtown September 3rd 1977.
    That Not Fade Away makes for a good ride!

4. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

And in Summer-Fall '76, apart from a one-week tour of NY/NJ/PA in September, Jerry played JGB shows only around the Bay Area. I guess he was working on The Grateful Dead Movie, or writing and rehearsing for Terrapin Station.

5. notesofachord

notesofachord Only the Stones Remain

Names that will not live in infamy. Still, they should be thanked for what they’ve done.

6. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

As a non-guitar player, I can't watch more than a few minutes of these. His enthusiasm is genuine and it is excellent to see someone discovering the depth of GD music. I do agree with some of the comments to this video, which is that he hasn't really even scratched the surface of what makes the Dead great. West LA, Cold Rain and Snow and Deal are excellent songs, but he really should go deep. Dark Star, Playing or TOO may be too much to digest, but the Bird Song or China->Rider from Veneta would be very interesting for him to analyze.

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Just when you think you know a guy. ;)

But really, 4 Aug 1976 is the one show that features Phil as THE predominant voice from front to back. I turned @Archtop onto this show a few years back and even he was impressed. Of course there was an early morning many years ago, settling down from a very exploratory evening, when Phil's bass on The Music Never Stopped from 4 August ate my pre-frontal cortex. I have never been the same, in the best way possible. :-plnktn-:

ThirdBowl, uzn007, adamos and 5 others like this.
  8. Archtop

I honestly have no memory of that, but I'm not saying you didn't...Listening to Slipknot! now as I'm between periods Broons/Flames in a sick game.

[edit]: Yeah, Phil's in charge. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure that out.

9. US Blues

Keep your head up in the neutral zone!

Please do crush the Flyers, thank you.

Phil is in the mood.

uzn007 and Archtop like this.
  10. Archtop

Philly/Calgary, what's the diff? :nyah:

johnnypaddock and US Blues like this.
  11. US Blues

No worries, I detest the fLames, too.

Archtop likes this.
  12. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I agree with both of these posts completely. Phil is good for a few clams that totally stand out but he more than makes up for it most of the time. I'm almost always a fan of taking risks and making mistakes vs perfectly played safe playing because in the case of the former the highs are much higher than the latter if that makes sense.

KCWhistle, adamos, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  13. notesofachord

Re: Samba in the Rain

Why don’t you warm yourself up with a hot Pigpen Hey Jude, a smokin’ I Need a Crapicle, or a groovin’ Money, Money. Good old classics and fan favorites that pleased the crowds and built on their legacy!

:nyah:

KCWhistle, uzn007, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Even though this show is in August, it has always felt even ssslllooowerr than any of the June shows. I was never able to listen to it all the way through.

uzn007 and US Blues like this.
  15. dsdu

dsdu Forum Resident

What's tragic is that the GD never heated up an encore of Imagine, which was tailor-made for PigPen's vocal style. :shtiphat:

16. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Never gets old :laugh:

ianuaditis and trd like this.
  17. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

NP: 10/18/72 Fox Theatre from the Archives.

budwhite, adamos, Frosst and 5 others like this.
  18. notesofachord

Everything you said is true and I agree. There is one problem:

Rhino and GDP sold their souls to a corporate giant. Warner Music is run by a board whose only purpose is to MAKE MONEY. They couldn’t care less about “doing the right thing”. They only give away money if the lawyers force them to.

19. notesofachord

Feel free to vote with your wallet and not buy any of the official releases.

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Listening to this show right now. Yup, yet another great, yet different sounding Dark Star. Man I love '72. Almost never disappoints.

Edit: Great transition to Morning Dew.

21. notesofachord

FOX BOX FOX BOX WE WANT THE FOX BOX!!

22. Archtop

To my way of thinking, it depends where the mistakes are made. I mean, I've done some ~350 gigs and I've made my fair share of mistakes. But written segments should be rehearsed and mistakes should be rare in this context. Clams in an improvisational context are not great, but perfectly acceptable. Clams on written segments, such as the counterpoint on Morning Dew are simply laziness and are unacceptable.

23. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Exactly, if Phil is hitting some sour notes on the verses of say Bertha that's not good but if he's searching for something and hits a bum note during the 15th minute of Dark Star that's pretty acceptable as long as he eventually gets to that high point he's looking for.

24. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I think if anyone is using Betty Cantor's name to sell product then she is entitled to some form of royalty. I don't know if that's what the law says, but it should be.

25. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Finishing the night off by listening to DaP 30 1/2/70 Fillmore East. In shocking news a great Dark Star lol...

Edit: to be fair due to bourbon consumption I'll probably be listening to something later :edthumbs:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    ianuaditis, US Blues, Frosst and 5 others like this.