The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Tigerpop

Tigerpop Forum Resident

Got huge smile on my face after some orange bud listening to Jer dance on the solo during Tennessee on 2/26/77
    [​IMG]

laf848, mBen989, budwhite and 5 others like this.
  2. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

I write with my left but throw with my right. Does that make me ambidextrous or abbynorml?

[​IMG]

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I did have an incredible impact on the scene.

edit: Cruising in a '68 Dark Star. (11/1)

edit: Dave's Vol. 30, Mason's Children, how do that get that weird effect at the beginning of the song? Also, I don't get why it's there. It sounds like someone was f--cking with the tape transport. And isn't that same effect on other versions? I don't not like it, I just don't understand it.

edit: I've listened to Dave's 30 many times in my car, but now headphones are in order. It's the only way I can hear Phil's shoelaces.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  4. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

[​IMG]

There is a funkiness to the 9/25 show that I enjoyed a great deal. Even Dancing in the Streets, a song that I don’t care for regardless of who is playing it, was saved by that jam. Still a very good one top to bottom. Halfway through the first set of 9/28 and it is certainly mellower than 9/25, completely different feel to it. Need to let this one play out before forming an opinion.

5. wavethatflag

As I recall, the final disc of this set is where the rubber meets the road. Fairly sure I like all of it, though.

6. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

One of things that I have come to respect about the Dead is their willingness to crash during takeoff. Sometimes it will fly and sometimes it crashes, but you have to give them time and be patient to see where things go.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  7. Tigerpop

Tigerpop Forum Resident

Great way to describe them

ianuaditis, KCWhistle and US Blues like this.
  8. wavethatflag

Without a net!

But to be honest, I don't really hear the crashes so much, but I always take note when they fly.

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That's the Beyond Description box. The bonus materials for Reckoning and Dead Set are outstanding, as are the bonus track studio jams on Blues for Allah.

10. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I always slow down the cd to get a better look at the music when I see the crashes.

Crispy Rob, Ezzie, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  11. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Hopefully I’ll have the ‘76 box by the weekend, so in the meantime, I’m heading towards the end of 1990 with shows from Road Trips Vol. 2 No. 1 — MSG September ‘90.
    There’s a lot of extended jamming on these discs — the band is tight and in control. Also, the bonus disc in particular, is excellent!

I suspect there’ll be a few here who were at these shows? Any thoughts?

[​IMG]
    1990/2008 Grateful Dead Records ‎– GRA2-6005

12. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

I listened to that one the other day, it’s a quite good '76 show.

My fave versions of Dancing In The Streets are the early ones, especially the '70 versions. With that said I did like the '79-version I listened to yesterday. The Disco-versions have grown on me but I'm still not that big of a fan.

13. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Listened to 11/21/73 (Denver Coliseum) this morning. An excellent show with one of my fave versions of Looks Like Rain. The Weather Report Suite is fantastic and Here Comes Subshine is always a highlight, this one doesn’t disappoint. Other highlights includes Dire Wolf, Sugaree, Black Throated Wind, Big River and Brokedown Palace. It’s just an all 'round terrific show with the band playing being incredibly tight and playing with joy.

Mansley, SteveFff, Crispy Rob and 8 others like this.
  14. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

I was ‘89-‘95, east coast until ‘95, and can say I remember hearing Shakedown circa ‘91 at Buckeye Lake....and as a guy who has smoked weed for 37 years, “4:20” became part of my vernacular around 1990 in college.

I also credit my Mom with the first use of the word “Wookie”, probably around 1992 Deer Creek shows. I had 2 friends starting to get dreads and she was like, “My goodness guys...you look like a bunch of colorful wookies!”

“Never miss a Sunday show” was more a jambands thing WSP fans said, if I had to pick where it started.

15. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]
    My last concert while Jerry was alive, just over a month after my last gd show....

Morning quarantunes, and a pic of my 1970 bus:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  16. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Dark Star always crashes.

17. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

Me, too. This was my first Grateful Dead show. The guy sitting next to me pulled out a joint that was shaped just like a cooked chicken leg, I swear. He had to light it about 5 times because each time would light up only a small part of the fat end of the "leg".

18. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Legion Of Mary doing Dylan's Wicked Messenger on 15 May '75, courtesy of the Legion Of Mary: The Jerry Garcia Collection, Vol. 1 bonus disc, was quite something. At the end of the day, they really just play a riff, but Jerry's playing is searing.

Once I finish listening to it, I promise I'll post something about the 14 October '83 audience recording I've started making my way through. I thought the first set was meant to be garbage. The first four songs are anything but. If the show gets better from here I'm going to start thinking '83 was the band's best year of the '80s.

19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

26 March 1973- Baltimore.

If you are not familiar with the second set jam, home quarantine is as good a time as any to become acquainted- it'll take you someplace fun!

20. Gary C

Gary C Forum Resident

MMMM, fatty sammies!

The lot also helped me appreciate microbrews (is that still a word?) via the early introduction to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

21. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

I can remember my first and second Red Tail Ales, at Soldier’s 1994...double fisting amongst those really tall statues of random dudes, before disappearing into outright madness. That was a crazy week, Deer Creek to Chicago, had 2 friends make up and speak in a new language. Lololol...ohhh man. Turned 23 too.

22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I think the work you are looking for is "amphibious".

Bonus points if you get it.

23. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

Yes, a former NC State basketball player, can't remember the name, who described himself as "amphibious" because he could dribble and shoot with either hand.

24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Winner!

Charles Shackleford
    Charles Shackleford - Wikipedia

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Ok!
    [​IMG]

Mansley, notesofachord, SJR and 4 others like this.