The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. talkingleaf

talkingleaf Forum Resident

The band was on fire for that first 12 years or so after the Battle of Hastings!

2. talkingleaf

talkingleaf Forum Resident

Well, you beat me to that reference!

KCWhistle, uzn007, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  3. dsdu

dsdu Forum Resident

IMO they peaked during the Dark Star Ages.

ThirdBowl, KeninDC, budwhite and 15 others like this.
  4. BlackCircle

BlackCircle Forum Resident

Phil is in peak form during Morning Dew also.

5. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Earlier today I listened to 8/23/68 (Shrine Auditorium). What an awesome ****ing show this was! Mind-melting versions of Dark Star, The Eleven, The Other One and St. Stephen. The main highlight though was Alligator. Around 30 mins of intense jamming that never let up. Certainly one of the best versions I've ever heard. The mix was very good with Phil's bass being an ever constant force throughout. I just love his tone during that era.

Now I'm listening to 12/30/78 (Pauley Pavilion). Man this show is so much fun. A killer Jack Straw opens up the show and the ball is rolling. Every version so far has been on fire. Examples being Tennessee Jed, Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues (a really good combo), Stagger Lee, Minglewood Blues and Sugaree. The band is really on and Jerry solos like a madman. I can already tell this is one of the best of '78.

6. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

They even toured with Jesus back in the day. Must have influenced them to do that tour with Dylan later on...

7. dsdu

dsdu Forum Resident

IMO they peaked during the BC (Before Constanten) Era.

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Not on 6/23/74

9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Is it a real Dark Star if it doesn't crash? :nyah:

10. US Blues

Lost in all the humor is the lissome hippie chick and your cosmic connection. I want to circle back and acknowledge your moment of bliss. :love:

11. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Forum Resident

The Dead had an elevated sense of stage energy in the mid-fall of 1976. For me it is
    beared out in thrustful performances on this Pick, and a few weeks later during
    'Day On the Green' DP 33 (of course being billed w/ the who might do that), and
    the War Memorial show on Sept 28... killer energy, DiP 2o (landover show not so much).
    It is part of what makes that year special for me. Disc one, has Weir huffing and puffing,
    blowing it down, and Jer' giving Sugaree those fine lead line treatments.

[​IMG]

12. bzfgt

bzfgt Interesting and Copacetic Denizen

Unless there's a pre-existing inside Dead reference to it I don't know about, the convergence on the Battle of Hastings seems more remarkable than the handshake with the hippie woman...

13. US Blues

Perhaps you missed the date of the Winterland show to which @Stone Turntable was referring? ;)

KCWhistle, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  14. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

(I'm listening to the June 1976 box. I'm going to put this here, because I apparently have masochistic tendencies.) :

The slow tempo Friend of the Devil is a significant misfire.

The lope of the instrumentation is beautiful. I like it, a lot. The vocal melody of the verses works just fine. The cadence of the vocals, at this pace, during the chorus, derails the entire exercise. I just can't work past it.

That's my stance, and I doubt that it's going to change.

Be kind.
    Or not.

:buttkick:

15. bzfgt

I did! I looked at it three times but my brain must have kept changing it to "1977"!

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  16. US Blues

It's a well known phenomena that we read by seeing the patterns of letters or numbers, and since you expected a date within a certain range that's what you saw. I did a double take when I first read it as well, then I went for the humor.

17. Dr. Luther's Assistant

On further review, the vocal bridge doesn't work either.

:nyah:

US Blues, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  18. bzfgt

It's really just a terrible song, let's face it...

19. notesofachord

notesofachord Only the Stones Remain

Blame Kenny Loggins. They used his arrangement of the song when they brought it back in ‘76.

Jim Walker, uzn007, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  20. Dr. Luther's Assistant

It's a fine song, executed properly.

21. Dr. Luther's Assistant

So I hear.

I would be fully prepared to blame Kenny Loggins for virtually anything.

KCWhistle, Jim Walker, uzn007 and 9 others like this.
  22. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

I never put too much thought into it but you are right. I guess that's why I looked forward to a good Memphis Blues or It's All Over Now at shows. Was always holding my breath for a Let it Grow, even more so than MNS.

23. jwoverho

jwoverho Forum Resident

I’ve been using the Relisten app to preview and download shows from Archive.org. You could characterize me as a casual GD listener since the 80s, and I only took the deep dive into their live recordings (other than LIVE/DEAD and EUROPE’72) in the last decade or so, and that was limited to some of the Dick’s Picks and the Complete Fillmore box.

It can be somewhat overwhelming to a novice looking at the sheer volume of recordings, and as someone who never got to see them live or was part of the tape trading community, a little challenging to know where to start.

Where do you find yourself coming back to over time? The Pigpen years? The ‘74 Wall of Sound? The comeback after the layoff?

I know the answers will be as varied as there are fans, but I’d love some guidance.

Here’s what I’ve got for live recordings as a reference:
    Live/Dead
    Skull & Roses
    Europe ‘72
    Europe ‘72 Box
    Complete Fillmore Box
    Hundred Year Hall
    One From The Vault
    Sunshine Daydream
    Closing Of Winterland
    Cornell 5/8/77
    Dick’s Picks 4,8,12,15,33,36
    Road Trips vol 2.2, vol 4.3

I guess I had more than I realized!

ThirdBowl, KCWhistle, adamos and 7 others like this.
  24. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

Picasso Moon is one of the better late era GD songs. Liked it from the beginning. The 93 Boston version was epic.

25. jwoverho

jwoverho Forum Resident

The doc I watched on Bob (The Other One) and the Amazon doc on the band are what really set me off on a journey.