The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Is there a downside? :hide:

(I kid, I kid!)

2. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Listening to:

Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead (1967)
    2011 RSD Monaural LP

The 1st studio LP. Glorious, punchy, early Grateful Dead on speed.

[​IMG]

3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I usually start with those labelled 'fob' (i.e. front of board.)

Six Bachelors and wavethatflag like this.
  4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

yes if you erase https:// and put www.

Also I see @uzn007 already mentioned fob.

wavethatflag likes this.
  5. uzn007

I was once driving down the highway and I saw a car with one of those black & white oval stickers that said "FOB" on it (you know, the ones that are modeled after European country stickers). Unfortunately, I wasn't close enough to see what it actually referred to, but I wanted to buy some to give to my taper friends.

6. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Re; 3/13/81; IWT- I Hitchhiked, in the dead of winter (this is upstate N.Y. mind you !), by myself, from Potsdam NY (way up by the Canadian border) where I was going to college. A very small venue, plenty of room as I recall. Very, very smoky as I recall, my eyes were burning out of my head. I have no memory of what I did after the show or how I got back to college (not because i was super wasted or anything, I just can`t remember).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  7. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

9. uzn007

A year from now....

Literally anyone: Boy I sure sat around doing nothing a lot last year.
    davmar77: I was there!

Billy_Sunday, jmadad, ARK and 17 others like this.
  10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

30 March 1973- Rochester War Memorial Auditorium.

Set 2: The circulating source is not the best SBD you'll ever hear, but the music is exceptional.

11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

That's the recording I picked as well. I have been listening to Scarlet>Fire maybe four times since last week.
    Jerry's voice is rough(let's not kid our selfs), but he do sound engaged so that's good! And his guitar playing is great!

12. which I own :nauga:. Still sealed, which some might consider deplorable.

< :nauga:, again

I have the 7" single, too. Picture sleeve, but I don't recall ever seeing the promo poster, much less owning one.

The 7" single is an edit, no? Given that the LP/12" version is 5' 47".

wavethatflag and ianuaditis like this.
  13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

The picture sleeve WAS the poster. It folds out. The grey vinyl version. Yes it was the radio edit

14. !

I did not know that. Thanks for the information.

15. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

30 years ago tonight, I got on the bus. Went to Nassau Coliseum, bought tickets in the parking lot. A life changing night, for sure. I’ll be revisiting that show when I get some time.

As some of you know, I’m an ICU doctor outside of Chicago. So far we are doing ok but I’m expecting some tough times ahead.
    I wanted to thank all of you for doing the hard work of staying home and listening to music! The more you do that, the better things will be for us at work.

16. uzn007

Good luck. You guys are really on the front line of this.

17. Garcia was getting voice coaching earlier than that. As early as the 1970s, I think. His teacher (or one of them) was the famed Judy Davis.

18. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Earlier today I listened to 9/11/73 (William And Mary College Hall). Great show, especially the China > Rider, Dark Star and Morning Dew. On the latter Phil's bass is real high in the mix and it really gives this version a certain heaviness. That's the case for Dark Star as well and in general this is def a show every Phil-fan should check out. The Dew though is just impeccable. As a whole what we have here is another sublime jazzy '73 show, just what is needed this time of the year.

Currently I'm revisiting 5/25/74 (Campus Stadium). Truly awesome jamming on songs like Truckin', Let It Grow, Sugar Magnolia and many more on here. This show is just so smooth-sounding. The Truckin' in particular is an highlight, just more proof that this song was at it's best in '74. The band is laying down some incredible improvisation during the last half. Great versions of Wharf Rat, Promised Land and Tennessee Jed as well.

19. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I randomly listened to that one today as well, while taking a break from the June '76 set. Side note... Why do I feel compelled to listen to a massive set like that almost ASAP without breaking it up a little?

That 6/17 show is so great. The band just seemed to have a ton of energy, and everything was clicking. Ship of Fools > Truckin' > New Speedway Boogie > Uncle John's Band sounds ridiculous!

20. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

:laugh:

wavethatflag and fishcane like this.
  21. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Howdy folks. I've missed this place. Hope everyone is doing well and distancing appropriately.

22. US Blues

Howdy @GuidedByJonO))) ! Good to see you, hope all is well for you and yours. Hang out when you can. :hugs:

ARK, wavethatflag and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  23. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

24. uzn007

No Magic Helmet?

wavethatflag and acetboy like this.
  25. US Blues

Kill da Wabbit!

wavethatflag, uzn007 and acetboy like this.