The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Sounds like something a sycophantic sheep like you would say.

2. uzn007

I used to know a guy who drove from Vermont to Augusta for the shows, and felt sick during the first set of the 12th and left during setbreak.

Archtop, US Blues and wavethatflag like this.
  3. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

:tiphat:

uzn007 and wavethatflag like this.
  4. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Went to the BCNentrum shows couldnt get a ticket to ride for Augusta! Hartford I was really out of my mind so it was all good don’t recall actually hearing Brendan Byrne. Syracuse was a hike too much partying but fun

wavethatflag likes this.
  5. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I believe you, I'm just using the word in the sense of a "story coming down from the past" (Webster's) that is extraordinary, figuratively but not literally incredible.

wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  6. Tigerpop

Tigerpop Forum Resident

This 5-9-77 show is something else and this Peggy o is a gift.

wavethatflag, ARK, adamos and 7 others like this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

That whole show is something else!

8. uzn007

You may have a point there.

wavethatflag, ARK, Tigerpop and 2 others like this.
  9. uzn007

A friend of mine once pointed out that Garcia's soloing on "Comes a Time" is particularly Gilmour-esque on this night.

10. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

Me mate Declan tramped over to the states for a Bit of Good ‘Ole Dead in 1984...flew into Nork New Jersey and thumbed up the coast to lake plACID for a bit of madness n’ Yank crumpet
    Between shaggin birds from Vermont and Booth Bay in the back seat of an abandoned Chrysler Torino, the lad had other intentions he done...he had him a sack of lysergic from a bloke in some dodgy art college in Regis Lyme,
    And was bloody bent on “Spikin’ the Yanks well proper, Mate”...yer man spent the whole afternoon sloshin drops in unsuspecting punters Gennesee bloody tragic Cream ale bottles ...wot the FOOK!!!....all the lad remembers about the gig is somehow losing his creepers and bell bottoms at setbreak and screaming “YOU’’VE BEEN SPOKEN TO, MY SON!!! In the throng of bloody yank snake dancers in the hallways of the auditorium!
    Declan still brings up that bloody trip after 12 cask conditions down at the public!

11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Dave's 30, disc 3, "Lovelight."

12. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

I ran Saturday to 6.17.91 from the box. Got me where I needed to go, even on my treadmill! Yea, that sequence is just fantastic, as there’s also those wonderful “Dark Star” “teases” in-between those songs, before the sequence culminates in the Space of “Dark Star”. And it all sounds so great in that excellent Giants Stadium box.

13. uzn007

OK that elicited a chuckle.

wavethatflag, US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  14. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

While '77 isn't my sweet spot, anyone recognizing and calling out a fine Peggy-O is worthy of deep respect.

Now @Tigerpop, go here, just two years ago when all was (mostly) right with this world: Grateful Dead 2018 Peggy-O Funiculi Funicula Four Tournament.

And welcome to the madness here; we're generally a friendly lot, but we do stir the pot on occasion.

15. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I do enjoy your Bishop's Finger/Nun's Delight-induced blatherings quite a bit, but the Torino was a Ford product. So get knotted, you bleedin' pillock. :D

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Ugh, Comes a Time, not Cones a Time. Although clearly, mass quantities were consumed.

17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I listened to the first show in the June 1976 box a couple of times today — Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA, 10/06/76. The first thing that struck is how nice it all sounds. There's a real smoothness to the Dead here.

A couple of quick standouts were Sugaree — a beautifully fluid rendition where Keith shines; Mission In The Rain — again, really beautifully played; a strong Franklin's Tower; a slow but perfect Friend Of The Devil (I really like this one slowed down); and a massive 25 minute Playing In The Band > Dancing In The Street with a spacey jam between and Dancing teases within.
    I enjoyed this show and will definitely revisit. Oh, also Donna sounds great here!

The box set looks to be another winner, aesthetically pleasing and functional.

18. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

This morning I revisited 9/3/80 (Springfield Civic Center). A great Mississippi Half-Step > Franklin's Tower opens the show and gets the ball rolling. A terrific Althea, Sailor > Saint and thrilling Drums > Rhythm Devils > Space section, a high-energy Truckin' and a superb He's Gone are some of the highlights throughout. Brent's keyboard-playing shines throughout and he pretty much steals the show here. A very underrated show in my opinion from a stand-out year.

19. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Best show from the GSTL box! :hide: :yikes:

20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

No need to hide under a chair for that one, you are among a majority here who believe that

21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I guess I'm getting old enough to speak in myth and legend. :p

wavethatflag and frightwigwam like this.
  22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The best show from that week is still in the Vault.

wavethatflag, SJR, WaterLemon and 2 others like this.
  23. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

GSTL - get it for the over-hyped 5/8. Keep it for 5/7 & 5/9!

24. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Agreed.

wavethatflag likes this.
  25. slinger333

slinger333 Member

any chance i may be granted access to your profile? been slowly getting into the dead this past year or so and its really starting to hit stride. have been using your posts on dead releases as a guide and would like to see what other stuff you've got to say about the band etc. would be gratefully appreciated. work in youngstown ohio myself. hope you're doing well. take care.

wavethatflag and Coltrane811 like this.