The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

wavethatflag likes this.
  2. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

1977-05-04? No encore, but didn’t need one show.

wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  3. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

6/24/84 SPAC was a fun show, even though Jerry`s voice was pretty "gravelly" around these times, they played great! They broke out the first (Non Disco) "Dancin` in the Streets" for the first time in years, and the second set was killer ! And, a double encore on top of it!

Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY (6/24/84)

Dancin' in the Streets
    Dire Wolf
    New Minglewood Blues
    Candyman
    Me and My Uncle
    Mexicali Blues
    Ramble on Rose
    Hell in a Bucket
    Deal

I Need a Miracle
    Bertha
    Playin' in the Band
    China Doll
    Samson and Delilah
    drums
    The Other One
    Wharf Rat
    Sugar Magnolia

Satisfaction
    Baby Blue

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Terrapin Station > Playing in the Band > Comes A Time > Playing In the Band

To my ears, the most psychedelic, exploratory, and interesting musical sequence of the month.

5. US Blues

IWT! A friend called the Dancing in the Street. Our crew thought him a bit mad, until the music started.

6. Bill Cormier

Ha that`s great!

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. Bill Cormier

8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

SPAC attack!

10. US Blues

I saw the first two shows at SPAC.

Some history: the GD were scheduled to play SPAC in 1972 when they came east after the late Summer shows in Veneta, Folsom Field, and LA. However, as is often the case, local politicians stole the People's freedom by forcing the venue to cancel the Dead show. The band rescheduled at the Boston Music Hall (15 & 16 September 1972), and laid down 2 magnificent shows.

11. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Once again, our paths crossed back in the day. They didn't play Black Muddy River that day, but they didn't have to, as all of us outside the shed were living it.

wavethatflag, Jerfan13 and US Blues like this.
  12. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Earlier today I listened to 2/26/77 (Swing Auditorium). A really excellent show with highlights including Terrapin Station, Estimated Prophet, Sugaree, Minglewood Blues and Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin' Tower. The band sounds and plays great. Another fantastic 1977 show, and apparently the first one,

13. US Blues

As best as I can tell we were at 5 shows "together:"

18 June 1983- SPAC
    20 Oct 1983- Woosta
    24 June 1984- SPAC
    8 Oct 1984- Woosta
    25 March 1985- Springfield

14. Bill Cormier

Ha! I was at the last 3 dates you listed with you lot ! Did not see the band in `83, just the JGB in Boston.

15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Bonus disc

[​IMG]

laf848, Crispy Rob, adamos and 10 others like this.
  16. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

I just finished Swing again today. I really enjoy Dave's 33 at Dekalb but 2/26/77 is to me one of the very best shows ever released by Dave or Dick. Everything about is is superb. They are all phenoms on that second set.

wavethatflag, laf848, mgb70 and 17 others like this.
  17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]
    This was a fun day, couple years ago now

18. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I were there. Loved Jerry controlling the rain during "Cold Rain & Snow".

wavethatflag, Crispy Rob and fishcane like this.
  19. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Just listened to 8/23/87 (Calaveras Co. Fairgrounds). What a scorcher of a show! The second set especially. A fantastic Scarlet > Fire, incredible PITB which leads into a very cool Drums > Space section. The Morning Dew is another highlight. Jerry just goes off on it. And the NFA > Brokedown Palace that ends the show is beautiful. I really recommend this show if any of you guys haven't heard it yet.

20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I was inspired by my quoting 86 Dylan in the other thread!

wavethatflag, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  21. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

So got this delivered today. I figured I'll have plenty of time to read.
    [​IMG]

22. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

It Coulda been me! This is one of those GD moments that really burrowed into my memory. My buddy and I ended up scoring at least one great ticket, maybe two, for a prime spot inside, maybe 15th row center (meaning, we both were in the spot!). Pretty much where you want to be. I remember when the band came out and was tuning for the first song, it was like a familiar ear worm... du du dundedennel... several times. I turned to Sam and we’re both like, what is it? Sounds familiar... I said, do you think it sounds like the Motown style Dancin’? And lo and behold they started it up. What I really remember is Phil wearing a bright beautiful garish tie dye, and during the chorus he came over to Jerry’s mic which they shared (Woo-oh-oh-Ooooh, Dancing in the Street)... it would have made a great photo, but alas I’ve never seen one from that moment.

23. US Blues

It coulda been you, but I was on the lawn getting rained on, not 15th row inside. :help:

24. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

10/17/83 - A peaceful easy Monday evening with the Grateful Dead in Lake Placid. The first several songs set the reflective, mellow tone; Sugaree, Rooster, FOTD, Esau, Bird Song. Not that there's any slack at all. I don't usually like Little Red Rooster too much, but even that gets a nice, slow groove going. They pick up the pace a bit with Hell in a Bucket and a rousing finish to Deal, but these are not exactly ragers, either. Touch of Grey gets the second set off to a bubbly start, and Samson is the most boisterous number of the night, but then they go back to the initial mood with To Lay Me Down and a gentle Man Smart, Woman Smarter. By the time they start Terrapin, the kumbaya of The Wheel feels like an inevitability.

The denouement of Miracle>GDTRFB>Good Lovin' does its job, but no more. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but it seemed to go on a little long while I was lying in bed in the wee hours of the night. Revolution in the encore is a sloppy cover of the White Album arrangement, but probably felt like a treat at the time.

Overall, while I wish they had stuck the landing better, I enjoy the laid-back feel of this show. It seems like a good transition point for going back to '76.

In Hunter Seamons' notes for his matrix, he says, "the Set 1 SBD is significantly better than the Set II SBD, which sounds 'flat.'" This may be why Dave has shied away from the show, but I think the matrix does sound pretty nice.

25. Bill Cormier

There is a photo of that exact moment on the web- a photographers site. Google Grateful Dead 6/24/84 and it pops up!