The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

31 March 1973- Buffalo.

The second set is memorable. I recall the first time I heard this on the Dead Hour, David Gans said he had a real treat for us and he was not kidding. I was bouncing up and down on the couch when they hit the pinnacle. I will not share the spoiler, I simply suggest you hear this for yourself. :tiphat:

2. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Thanks Bill! Very neat to see those images after all this time.

The juxtaposition of how Jerry looks in June 84 (not that great) and 25 months later, looking like 15 years older... sheesh.

The link posted upthread recapping the 4 SPAC shows brought back memories. I was at 83, 84 & 85. My fave was probably 85. One of my life’s ongoing mysteries is why the heck didn’t that 83 show change my life like some of you guys have described, and some of my other friends too, who don’t post here? Mostly I recall being out on the lawn, up back by trees, hanging out, listening to and enjoying the show, but I guess I just felt too removed from it due to (lack of) proximity. That, and probably just too baked.

3. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

wasnt part of that show broadcast? One of my deepest recollections of a show. We were on the field and some dude just starts peeing. Well it was better than DC which was blazing hot and too much of the love stuff goin round. Akron was the best

wavethatflag likes this.
  4. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Finally digging into the June 1976 box
    Tonight. Starting at the beginning... 6/10/76. My box arrived last Monday but I have been so stressed worrying about my business during the shut down that I have not had the headspace to listen until tonight. Sound quality is fantastic like others havementioned!

A fantastic “Cassidy” on this night

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was at the ‘88 show. I think I’ve told my story about it before, but to make it short, the key moment was a guy I knew from school advising me that “if I were you, I’d eat the whole bag.”

6. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Listened to 5/13/72 (Lille Fairgrounds) this morning, Highlights includes China > Rider, Black Throated Wind, He's Gone, Sugaree and Truckin'. The band lays down an excellent groove on many of these songs and the show as a whole is just crackling with energy.

7. US Blues

"And 4 days later @Crispy Rob was in Connecticut, not knowing how he had gotten there."

8. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

I'm listening to Dick's Pick Vol. 6 (10/14/83) from Hartford. And it's been a long time since I've listened to this show. Was it typical for Mickey to mess around on the xylophone/marimba during
    Scarlet Begonias in the '80s? Any idea when he started doing that? And I'm assuming it was Mickey and not Brent, but if that's wrong, please feel free to correct me.

wavethatflag, Crispy Rob, SJR and 2 others like this.
  9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yes, this was common in the early-to-mid 80s. I don't know specific dates. I think you still hear it going into the latter years but it was very common in the early part of Brent's tenure.

I always thought it was Mickey but I've never confirmed that one way or another.

wavethatflag, STGATX and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  12. uzn007

13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

It’s almost as good as Barney on bass

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

The three-episode docuseries will feature narration from fellow Haight-Ashbury resident and counterculture figure Peter Coyote, with acclaimed documentarian Ken Burns signed on as an archival producer. The first episode will seek to debunk the accident that allegedly led to Garcia losing the finger. The second episode will attempt to prove the veracity of various instances of political and corporate espionage to which the finger has been tied throughout the years. In the third and final installment, British survivalist Bear Grylls will lead a small forensics team deep into the dense forests of Marin County, CA in an attempt to locate the appendage’s rumored resting place.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

wavethatflag, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  15. uzn007

Tee hee.

16. US Blues

I wonder if they got ahold of the old CIA interview with Tiff where he explains exactly what happened that fateful day. :biglaugh:

wavethatflag, uzn007 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

18. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

The 36 from the Vault duo were making fun of Brent for adding the marimba sounds, but I'm not sure that he had the synth technology for that in 1983, and the marimba moves across the sound field like it's the real instrument, possibly with two mics on it. I'd expect a synth-marimba to stay in place.

So, was Brent ever known to get up from his bench during Scarlet>Fire, or any other jams, to play some mallet/percussion instrument?

wavethatflag likes this.
  19. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Thought I'd share my late night music listening option. I've created a playlist in Winamp taking all Dark Stars. Turn on the cross-fade with about 8-12 seconds of fade-out/fade-in and shuffle and viola you have a seemingly endless playout of Dark Star jams. I include Greyfolded as well.

I subsequently added some Bird Songs into the playlist. The played jams are similar but more bouncy. Perhaps the odd '72 Other One for additional flavoring. Can leave that on for hours. I like using PC Equalizer app which include delay settings for additional echoing sound trails. S'all Good!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I see what you did there!

wavethatflag, thgord and US Blues like this.
  21. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Just listened to 10/20/84 (Carrier Dome). Man what a show! The boys sounds like they had so much fun this night - must be the cocaine. Jerry's voice is rough, gravely would be a good way to describe it, but he still pulls through for the most part. His playing though doesn't suffer, he's really on here. Scorching versions of He's Gone, Shakedown Street and The Other One are the highlights as well as an energetic Samson And Delilah. This is also the first time I've heard the Dead's take on Smokestack Lightnin'. What an odd yet exhilarating version! The show ends with Revolution which is nicely played.

22. uzn007

I can't believe I've been passing up this quality podcast for so long!

I don't recall him ever getting up from his bench to play something else, and as you say, the synth technology wasn't really there to get a realistic sample like that in 1981-82 (maybe a Fairlight but I don't think even they had realistic enough sampling at that point in time).

wavethatflag likes this.
  23. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Finally finished the June '76 box... Whew! The last show 6.19.76 didn't stand up to the previous three, but it was still enjoyable. I'm skipping ahead to April/May '77... I'm very familiar with these shows but after 15 hours of summer '76 over the last few days, it might be a good chance to see how much the band evolves around this time.

Starting with a show at the same arena... Just incredible so far.

4.25.77 - Capitol Theater - Passaic, NJ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I’m quite certain that it’s a synth-marimba played by Brent on a keyboard.

25. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I think you're right, the marimbas cease at the same time the normal plinker starts

0:54 in this clip.