The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Yikes, or don't....

On all the tapes I've heard of that the vocals were unbearably loud.

Meanwhile I came across this, a unique take on one of my favorite Garcia/Hunter numbers, and some fine guitar picking.

Cary Morin

wavethatflag, DrLunchbox and ronbow like this.
  2. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I haven't heard that one, but I have the 1982 show from CCCC; for an 80's show I think it is a good
    one, and play it more than most 80's performances that, admittedly, I don't have many of.

Every time I play Wake of the Flood, I think the same thing, but then there are some of those others records...

NP... thoroughly enjoying the energy, and the 'little things' passing through the songs on disc one.
    Even Promised Land has some moxie and an extra kick...

[​IMG]

3. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

I pair it with this

[​IMG]

4. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

The Music Never Stopped from 4/24/78 is the pinnacle of "Disco Dead."

5. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Holy Moly! I upped the Oade Bros. aud years ago to the lma from Doug's fresh transfer, and it certainly captures a great show with solid sound, but this source sounds fantastic, too. And the show smokes! I am certainly enjoying this one right now...

Grateful Dead - March 31, 1985
    Cumberland County Civic Center - Portland, ME

Recording Info:
    Set 1: SBD > Cassette Master > Reel (Technics) > Dat (48k)
    Set 2: SBD > PCM (clone off vault master)

Transfer Info:
    Set 1: Dat (Sony PCM-R500) > Tascam DA-3000 > Adobe Audition CC2015 >
    Samplitude Pro X3 Suite > FLAC/48k
    Set 2: PCM (Sony SLV-M20HF) > Sony PCM-601ESD > Behringer Ultramatch Pro >
    Tascam DA-3000 (16-bit/44.1k) > Samplitude Pro X3 Suite > FLAC/44.1k
    (2 Discs Audio / 1 DVD FLAC)

Patch Info:
    (FOB) Schoeps CMC4/MK41 > Oade M118 > PCM (Sony PCM-F1) supplies:
    It's All Over Now (0:06 - 0:17)

All Transfers and Mastering by Charlie Miller
    [email protected]
    August 14, 2017

Notes:
    -- Inverted Playing In The Band
    -- Thanks to Rob Eaton for the Set 1 Dat
    -- Thanks to the Oade Brothers for the patch source

Set 1:
    01 - The Music Never Stopped
    02 - Candyman >
    03 - C C Rider >
    04 - Loser
    05 - Beat It On Down The Line
    06 - Dupree's Diamond Blues
    07 - It's All Over Now >
    08 - Don't Ease Me In

Set 2:
    09 - Iko Iko >
    10 - Samson And Delilah >
    11 - He's Gone >
    12 - I Need A Miracle >
    13 - China Doll >
    14 - Drums >
    15 - Space >
    16 - The Wheel >
    17 - Playing In The Band >
    18 - Day Tripper

Encore:
    19 - Encore Break
    20 - U.S. Blues

6. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Imo, 9 is the best. It has Garcia base and the 95 data is there but not integrated into the main section. 10 integrates the 95 data but misses Garcia base. 50 is an exercise in frustration all the way around. It’s akin to someone dropping the manuscript on the floor on the way to a xerox machine and then just reassembling the pages in whatever order they were picked up. Plus the fonts are all over the place and the paper is crap

7. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Best Scarlett -> Fire ever. Ok, up there.

Crispy Rob, wavethatflag, SJR and 4 others like this.
  8. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

The loser to UVa, last time they played basketball.

Crispy Rob, wavethatflag, ARK and 5 others like this.
  9. ianuaditis

My copy of 9 has held up reasonably well, with near daily consultation from 95-99 or so and then again from late 2016-now. (I did have to glue it back together sometime in 2017, but it's still in one piece since then.)

If I found a copy of 7 or 8 for really cheap, I'd certainly go for it, the different reviews and features would be worth a few bucks. I'm something of an amateur librarian though, before the virus I would visit the library's 'for free' section at least once a fortnight.

wavethatflag, adamos, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  10. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Haha, I get it. Other then 11, I have every edition and all of the supplements for the different reviews!

wavethatflag and ianuaditis like this.
  11. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

This evenings virtual road trip during the zombie apocalypse is taking us back to Colorado.

Why not, I spent two glorious weeks in Boulder that blew this little 18 year old Dead Heads mind in the 80’s. Same architect that did the downtown garden mall in Santa Cruz did the one in Boulder which is even better, cute girls, great weed, Red Rocks, the Colorado river and 18 years olds could buy beer (full circle it seems like all Italian beer is 3% so there you go, j/k)!

Sadly in my adult life due to work and life stuff when this arrived I played it maybe once or twice when it originally came out and while I was completely satisfied and full with the second set PITB sandwich I kind of forgot about it due to too little time and too much music. I usually remember anything that has a Here Comes Sunshine on it and a Fall 73 release, how could I forget?

Back on the bus to give it the proper attention it deserves.

Now Playing:
    Road Trips Volume 4 Number 3.
    Denver Nov 21, 1973

[​IMG]

12. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Oh cool! IWT, I need to get this, I only have a crummy sounding aud. from BITD.

13. ianuaditis

I'm always a bit disappointed when I hear what I think is a really good show from a relatively obscure era (e.g. 3-18-88,) and I check Deadbase and there's not a single review from the first half of 88. I imagine some of those would be in the older editions.

I paid about 20 for volume 1 of the Taping Compendium a few years ago, when it was half off from an online bookseller (I was basically not paying attention when these were released, which is a shame as they're obscenely priced online these days.) It was brand new, and turned out to be a signed copy, but I've been in enough used bookstores to know that the '1-' written in pencil on the inside cover means that at some point this was on sale for a dollar. It's worth 20 bucks, for sure, but I'm not too psyched about spending 20x what I could have found it for.

Still on the lookout for Vols 2 and 3 in the shops.

14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I moved to Boulder in the 80's, and every word of this is true!

15. US Blues

If you'd like another good show from early '88, listen to 16 February- Fat Tuesday.

16. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Oh man, that jam going out of PITB into Wharf Rat! Love the taste of 74 weirdness to come that we get here with Wharf Rat into MBJ into PITB before a great Morning Dew.

17. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Earlier today I listened to 2/27/90 (Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum). A really excellent show. A fantastic Let The Good Times Roll opens the show and a superb Feel Like A Stranger follows. A beautiful Standing On The Moon, terrific Spoonful, outstanding Other One and an enjoyable Truckin' are some of the other highlights throughout. Jerry sounds great and the band plays with energy.

Just now I finished 8/24/72 (Berkeley Community Theater). God damn this is one hell of a show. This Dark Star is the pinnacle and it segues into a Morning Dew that is just perfect. The Star is very plodding and it feels like the band takes their time executing the many musical ideas throughout. Also, as if that wasn’t enough, the show also has many other highlights including Ramble On Rose and UJB. Though definitely overshadowed by the Veneta show that took place a few days later this show is almost just as good. It’s worth it for the Dark Star alone.

18. ianuaditis

Do they still have that Almond brewery? One of the larger places nearby was carrying a few of their (Belgian-style) beers a few years ago. The market for those has really shrunken here since then, I even have a hard time finding Duvel, which used to be everywhere.
    That's good advice also, I listened to that one a few months ago now. It was a solid show but didn't grab me the way 3-16 did.

Crispy Rob, wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

That’s why I like the annual supplements, they cover entire year but we’re only offered for like 87 through 93 or so

wavethatflag and ianuaditis like this.
  20. ianuaditis

According to all the research, we have that run to credit for renewing Garcia's interest in the pedal steel. Supposedly he took a great interest in the playing of Sneaky Pete and got his own steel a couple of weeks later.

(He'd gotten one before, and sold it because he couldn't figure it out...)

21. US Blues

IWT. It grabbed me good that night at the Kaiser Center. :uhhuh:

22. malfano

malfano Forum Resident

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I just noticed dicks picks 29 is up for pre order on real gone music’s website. That’s one I’ve wanted for a long time so I’m excited about it. Grateful Dead: Dick's Picks 29

23. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

on to this one - a truly smoking' show! mix is great, from the deep end all the way up. great energy. always knew that it was a special night with a "midnight hour" opener... don't sleep on this one!

Grateful Dead - March 26, 1987
    Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT

Recording Info:
    Ultra Matrix SBD > Cassette Master (TDK MA-R90)

Transfer Info:
    Cassette Master (Nakamichi CR-7A) > Tascam DA-3000 (DSF 1-bit/5.8 MHz) >
    KORG AudioGate 4 > Adobe Audition CC 2015 > Samplitude Pro X3 Suite > FLAC/24
    (1 Disc FLAC)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller
    [email protected]
    March 26, 2017

Notes:
    -- This show is why there is an '87' in my email address
    -- The low end on this recording is absolutely thunderous
    -- Two sets of masters were used to make this show complete

Set 1:
    01 - Tuning
    02 - In The Midnight Hour
    03 - Cold Rain And Snow
    04 - C.C. Rider
    05 - Row Jimmy
    06 - My Brother Esau
    07 - When Push Comes To Shove >
    08 - Desolation Row >
    09 - Bird Song >
    10 - Promised Land

Set 2:
    11 - China Cat Sunflower >
    12 - I Know You Rider >
    13 - Looks Like Rain >
    14 - He's Gone >
    15 - Drums >
    16 - Space >
    17 - I Need A Miracle >
    18 - Black Peter >
    19 - Around And Around >
    20 - Good Lovin'

Encore:
    21 - Encore Break
    22 - The Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo)

Crispy Rob, laf848, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  24. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

DiP 29 is, to me, the best of the series. Mammoth 6 disc set covering two long May 77 shows, with some great hidden tracks as well. This was my first introduction to May 77 and I was completely blown away by the tight playing, great setlists, fantastic sound and just chill overall vibe. It really has a little bit of everything that made the 77 Dead machine so wonderful.

Easy recommendation from me, and always welcome in my house.

25. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Going with parts of Dick’s Picks 31 this evening. After kicking things off with a Jack Straw, Peggy-O and China > Rider I’m heading to disc four which is excerpted (with omissions) from 8/6/74 Roosevelt Stadium:

Eyes of the World
    Playing in the Band >
    Scarlet Begonias >
    Playing in the Band
    Uncle John’s Band

EDIT: it’s not new information but damn this Eyes is hot!

EDIT #2: do not climb a fence in front of Bobby.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020