The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Nobody called me out yet for saying Alligator was from 4-28 and not 4-29-71. :goodie:

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

You called yourself out. This is called taking responsibility. Thank you for demonstrating this advanced moral trait.

Crispy Rob, talkingleaf, ARK and 9 others like this.
  3. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Thanks to deaddisc I was able to cobble together the 1s and 0s to have this release seem less in my iTunes. Double checking now I realize that One More Saturday Night from Without a Net never made it to my ‘version’ of the full concert.

now will the completist in me go through the trouble of making a copy of the OMSN file? Or will my distaste for that song win out?

Matthew Tate and wavethatflag like this.
  4. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

the complete-ist wins!

5. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

no commuting = no listening to my SD-filled goodies in the car. So, I'm making CDs of my favorite unreleased shows. Made a disc just now from 10-18-72. China>Rider, Playing in the Band>drums>Dark Star>Morning Dew>Playing. 75 minutes.

Woah.

6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

That is a whack-job opinion. We all know the best thing to come out of 79 was Reconstruction.

Crispy Rob, talkingleaf and uzn007 like this.
  7. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Yes, it's called The Peter Principle: People rise to their level of incompetence. It applies from corporations to government and everything in between.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  8. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Just finished listening to 5/20/73 (UCSB Campus Stadium). Damn this is one sick show. It's already up there among my fave '73 shows even. Amazing versions abound, including an otherworldly China > Rider, fantastic Here Comes Sunshine and excellent Loser. Other highlights includes Big Railroad Blues, Big River, Brown Eyed Women and Looks Like Rain. The band is playing incredible and they are clearly on top of their game here. Garcia sounds great vocally and his solos are sweet. I def recommend this one to anyone who hasn't heard it yet.

9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm loving this first '76 box show. I'm loving having no commute. But I'd happily trade that for virus neutralization.

This is a great '76 small theatre Playing. It's like a tone poem by 7:50 or so. This harkens back, of course, to those of you who know, and it's OK if you don't, because now you're gonna, Dave's Pick's Volume 18. And about Playing on that, @Archtop said, and I'm paraphrasing, "The jam in Playing is great because it has nothing to do with Playing."

Sheltering In Space,

wtf

10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

maybe check out some highliights from the ladies and gents 4 cd set tonight

Crispy Rob, adamos, Oliver and 4 others like this.
  11. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It's hard to believe that DaP 18 came out almost exactly four years ago, innit? I made that comment about the long jam sequence from 7/17/76 (Comes a Time through the jam out of Eyes, to be more specific). Here are my media player notes from the whole segment, which get to the main point you're making about Playin' (certainly this concept is not unique to just the tracks played on 7/17/76):

Comes a Time--> 8:12 solo; 9:21 Strut Your Eyes Soulfully jam (formerly Tighten Up your Eyes jam)-->
    Drums-->
    The Other One-->
    Jam (not The Other One)-->
    Eyes of the World-->
    Jam (not Eyes other than the first 0:20; hints at NFA, then it is Eyes, then GDTRFB)-->
    The Other One-->
    Going Down the Road-->
    OMSN

12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

And that --> between "Jam" and "The Other One" does not indicate a smooth segue; Jerry's Other One cue comes in suddenly, out of nowhere.

13. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

The goal for the next seven weeks is to work through Europe 72 Complete and my 18 month backlog. The upside of staying at home.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, ARK and 7 others like this.
  14. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

How can you skip it if it isn’t in the show’s playlist?

Billy_Sunday and ianuaditis like this.
  15. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Great, now I need to track down a copy of Dave's Picks 18 for sale. I hope you guys are happy with what you've done.

16. ianuaditis

Was one more Saturday night the first song to be repeated from one of their live albums?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Half Step

uzn007, ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 4/8/82[Syracuse NY] on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Feel Like A Stranger.

US Blues likes this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Reckoning repeated two songs from Bear's Choice ("Dark Hollow" and "I've Been All Around This World").

20. ianuaditis

Kind of senseless, Bear's Choice has the definitive versions of both.

21. bzfgt

This dude is not happy with The Phish

22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

John Prine has passed.

Death don't have no mercy, in this land...

23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i thought he was doing better?

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. bzfgt

Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  25. bzfgt

Depends on your definition...

track11, ARK, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.