The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

so tonight from the ladies and gents 4 cd 1971 set.
    truckin
    ripple
    cumberland blues
    good lovin>drums> good lovin
    alligator>drums>jam>goin down the road feelin bad>cold rain and snow

tomorrow will probably unleash disc 3 of the set

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I completely agree with this guy. But am I not going to be a Phish fan now? No. And not that this would help the predicament of YouTube guitar teaching man, but I always separate the music from the artist in the vast majority of cases. I'm never under the impression that I'd like these musicians if I knew them, or that they'll usually do the right thing, or whatever. Most great musicians are lunatics, in my view, and, also in my view, a lot of famous people, maybe even most of them, are narcissists.

I got an email from Phish Dry Goods today with some new **** they're selling, Story Of The Ghost colored vinyl, and they have a t-shirt bundle and a hoodie bundle, etc., and I'm thinking, "Why are you selling this stupid **** right now? Who cares? Who needs this crap right now?" So, you know, capitalism, woo-hoo. I also rolled my eyes at '76 box drink coasters.

I think the latest Phish studio album is really good, I think the '76 box is really good so far. That's all that matters.

(edit: My comments assume that teaching is indeed fair use. I don't know that it is. I know parody is fair use, because I had to look at that once.)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  3. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

From my memory mid '84 was the start of the un coupling. Some worked better than others but I enjoyed the variation. A nice change up and then back to the fast ball...

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

7 April 1972- Empire Pool, Wembley

Dove into the heart of this show. And then suddenly from the depths of The Other One comes a tale of hot love and hot lead- El Paso.

Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 5 others like this.
  5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Really digging 6/11/76 "Candyman." It's like the essence of Candyman. This is all Candyman ever needs to do.

edit: Jerry's putting a little something extra, sort of an almost discordant twang thing, on to the end of the "Big River" riff/rhythm part. Or is that Bob? Sometimes I can't tell. I think it's Jerry.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Probably my favorite release in the DaP series. Only Vols 5, 21, 23, 29 and 32 offer a strong challenge for top honors. The good news is that you needn't break the bank for the bonus disc, as good as it is. The real majick is on disc 2 of the main release.

7. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I listened to that show a few days ago... That came out of nowhere! It was a great transition though.

8. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Now playing: 8/6/71 Hollywood Palladium. Great show so far...

9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Phil goes nuts on Morning Dew and the TOO--> Uncle--> TOO sequence is fantastic (in particular, the transition from Uncle back into TOO). I've had a tape of that since ~1983 and my tape is, in some ways, better than the official release. Phil's clam going into Uncle being less obvious for those playing at home.

10. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

The first couple years of Scarlet are full of roads not taken.... As a song that had a long ending jam from early performances, you'd think it would have been paired with various other songs in longer suites from early on (like China Cat was). But this didn't happen -- it was almost always a standalone tune until it discovered Fire in '77. And then the Dead barely tried any other transitions until '84.
    On 8-6-74 there's the one example of Scarlet being plopped inside Playing in the Band, which was pretty neat. Then on 6-15-76 they put it inside Sugar Magnolia, going into Sunshine Daydream, starting a long and fruitful relationship between Scarlet & Sugar Magnolia. Then after it was paired with Fire, there were a couple surprises -- 4-29-77 when it got linked to Goin' Down the Road, and 4-18-78 when it was paired with Dancing in the Streets. Neither of those were super-successful transitions, which maybe indicates why, having found a pairing that worked as well as Scarlet>Fire, they stuck with it without variation for many years.

11. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I just remembered that this morning when I was brushing my teeth. "Scarlet>Touch" became a thing for a couple of years. Some friends of mine saw "Scarlet>Hell" in Hampton.

12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

So...any theories as to why the 12 June show didn't get a full release in the June '76 box? I know about 35-40 minutes of it was on Road trips 4.5 but that was almost nine years ago. Does the show have tape problems? Is it a lousy show? Just seems odd that they didn't put it in here. I don't think anyone would have minded the repetition.

wavethatflag and ianuaditis like this.
  13. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Huntington '78 is so good it no longer needs an exact date (April 16, 1978). We all know about the "Peggy-O." Last night it was the transition between "Estimated" and "Eyes." I was buried deep in the Grateful Dead last night and all the bad melted away.

14. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

This morning I listened to the Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It release. A great representation of the '90 Sprring tour. The highlights here are plenty; Scarlet Begonias, Estimated Prophet, Eyes Of The World, Let The Good Times Roll, Samson And Delilah, West L.A. Fadeaway, PITB and The Last Time. The band's tight and they sound energetic and laid back at the same time. Jerry’s vocals are sweet and his guitar playing superb. Brent was at his peak here, this tour being his swan song before his untimely death.

Just now I finished 6/5/70 (Fillmore West). This was a very enjoyable show. The acoustic set is great. The highlights includes I Know You Rider, New Speedway Boogie, Friend Of The Devil and Silver Threads And Golden Needles (which is a song I haven't heard before). Admittedly, I don’t spend that much time listening to their acoustic sets during 1970 and '80. 5/2/70 and Reckoning is pretty much what I've been familiar with from this side of the Dead until now. Will try to rectify that. As for the two electric sets a smoking Other One, great St. Stephen > Casey Jones and a fantastic Easy Wind are the highlights.

15. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Now playing: 2/24/74 Winterland. First listen. Was in the mood for some '74 and this seemed pretty good. Nice setlist.

wavethatflag, Crispy Rob, SJR and 7 others like this.
  16. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

I listened to that one the other day (though you might have read my post about it). Great show with a fantastic Dark Star > Morning Dew.

17. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

I posted about it recently also: absolutely one of my all time favorite shows from any year. Almost every version of every song is a keeper (it’s even my favorite Bill Graham band intro! ;-) ).

18. US Blues

8 April 1971- Boston Music Hall.

Ned Lagin performed at this show, but he was not plugged into the PA, or the tape deck. The band could hear him, and likely members of the audience, yet we at home cannot appreciate what he may have added to this show.

The highlight of this performance is the opening of set 2: Dark Star > St. Stephen > NFA > GDTRFB > NFA

19. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Just saved and dated a file for work as 4-8-72 because that’s how my mind works after discovering the Dead.

Told my wife and she suggested I put the actual show on, so that’s what we have playing at the moment.

20. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

I do this all the time! A co-worker asked why I had dated a backup file 4-3-82.

21. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Lol! May 8 always has a lot of misdated files from my end. My brain does it automatically, it’s really quite fascinating.

22. US Blues

It'll about how we create neural pathways in our mind.

23. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

24. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

TLDR? I'm not spending 22+ minutes of my life on that video.

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Phish won't let him use their stuff on Youtube for instructional videos

wavethatflag, ianuaditis and uzn007 like this.