The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Pretty arbitrary but I think this is how I'd stack the Brent era since you didn't ask. :tiphat:

2. ColeB24

ColeB24 Forum Resident

Just finished watching the Closing of Winterland. And wow what a great concert film... All concerts should be 4+ hours long!

3. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Much rather come down bzfgt syndrome than this covid crap. However, they both can be extremely contagious.

One outstanding side effect of bzfgt syndrome is the resulting date/song (both?) correction, which can put you on quite the unexpected trip.

I mean, this 9/7/73 Eyes of the World!!!
    :love:

4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

LOL and welcome to the insanity here. For the record, I was curious about the 9/7/73 Eyes, which is not only one of the best versions of that tune, but one of their best performances ever. Headyversion has it as the 40th best version.

Now I realize that my opinion is not the gold standard for everyone, but that highlights the naiveté of the voters. Hence my assignment of the moniker Headylemmings.

5. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

I'm back on my 1995 project. Listening to Tampa, April 7. Visions of Johanna is stunning. Second set opens with a 16 minute Eyes.
    I guess there are some sad gigs coming up but the early part of 1995 was pretty great.

6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Hmm. I'd easily put '83 in front of '85. :agree:

wavethatflag and frightwigwam like this.
  7. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The Relisten app has been a great resource. The listing of difference source tapes, who recorded them, and what work they did on the recording is interesting. I’m seeing that Charlie Miller is a trusted name.

8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

mine will be

Im still agnostic on the rest of it. 80 is better than 88, but I'm 19 shows into 80 and only 5 shows into 88. Still, I suspect 80 will make its way near the top of the list by the time I'm done.
    I was using the Deadhead archives app, the Android equivalent of relisten, but it was giving me issues in the car. I've found recently that just playing the archive.org site on my browser works the best. (which is what I typically do on the home PC anyway.)

9. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

The moment I discovered the archives was the moment things really clicked for me regarding the Dead. In combination with this thread the ability to immediately listen to all the stuff people are talking about and recommending in real time really helped me understand the band to a much deeper degree.

10. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I was using Deadhead archives but eventually settled on the Tapers Den app. For one the shows you save immediately syncs with all of your devices that have the app. Also it gives you the opportunity to download shows for offline listening through the app.

11. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Same here! I was a casual fan for decades and never had been a part of the taping community. The sheer volume of recordings and the lack of availability was pretty daunting when trying to get a handle on the group.

Now I can see someone’s suggestion for a date or particular song sequence and easily pull it up. Pretty remarkable.

12. Archtop

Moving on to other suggestions from members here; the 4/17/72 Dark Star probably isn't at the top of most lists, but as @notesofachord hipped us to some 2-3 years ago, there's a Let it Grow jam in there that might go unnoticed. I took note of his post but didn't act on it for a few weeks or months, but when I did, I was floored. Another great moment in the history of the GoGD:

Dark Star, 4/17/72, starting at 25:18 (trunk version). Not to be missed. It's Let it Grow from Bob and Dark Star from Jerry at the same time. Meanwhile, Phil's being Phil, which means he's playing everything and nothing at the same time. :cool::cool::cool:

As usual, start a bit before (or listen to it all) for context.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  13. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

That was me for sure, the casual fan.
    Also not sure if you have Spotify but most of the official recordings of the band including all of the Dicks Picks are available for streaming.

14. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

NP: Boston Music Hall 6/11/76.

15. Archtop

Forgive my momentary intrusion as I listen to the GoGD crushing Caution on 4/17/72:

As a scientist of some 35 years in the fields of chemistry, microbiology, human health risk assessment and public health, know this (and take it for what it's worth to you) - I've seen enough evidence to conclude that simple soap is a better combatant against Covid-19 than are various disinfectants. I'd avoid bar soaps and go for liquid/foaming soaps only because soaps are only effective if water is present and bar soaps may dry out and harbor virus. The reality is that the lipophilic portion of soap constituents, such as found in sodium laureth sulfate, actually destroys viruses and the polar ends of these surfactants bring the products into solution and wash them away. Hand sanitizers are OK, but are in high demand, expensive, hard to find and less effective than soap.

Rock the soap. And leave enough on the shelf for others.

Your monthly public service announcement. Send all complaints elsewhere. :)

Hopefully @posnera has some free time when not sleeping to add his thoughts on this. Certainly he must have heard something, being a Doctor in the Chicago area. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  16. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Ok I had to switch gears to check this out. Man they come crashing right out of the gates for this one.

Wife's got a whole bin of foaming liquid soap so now her purchase feels justified lol.

17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, uzn007 and 4 others like this.
  18. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

That Caution is killer. A bit jarring when they go into Johnny B Goode.

19. Tigerpop

Tigerpop Forum Resident

20. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Never paired the two before, but that is a great release courtesy of the owner of Bay Area stalwart (and more recently, even if it’s been a decade or two now, LA stalwart) Amoeba records. Recorded by Owsley IIRC. Highly recommended listening.

22. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I'm up to 4.14.72 on my trip through the Europe '72 tour... I'll keep an eye out for that. I should be there by tonight or tomorrow.

So far, 4.8 is my favorite overall show but Truckin' > Drums > The Other One > Comes A Time from 4.11 has been my favorite stretch of music. It's been really interesting listening to everything in chronological order, although sometimes I have to go back and listen a second time if I end up getting distracted with work.

23. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

This made me laugh out loud - thanks. Also, since it popped up on my podcast list, the fine fellas :rolleyes: over at 36 from the Vault have already gotten bored with the Dead. The latest podcast is 2 Hrs 45 min on a Phish show from 1998 and the "post Jerry" Dead era. I don't have the fortitude to listen, but I may see what the Phish thread folks think...

bzfgt and uzn007 like this.
  24. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Just listened to 10/26/80 (Radio City Music Hall). The acoustic set here is the highlight. Great versions of Iko Iko, Ripple, On The Road Again, Dark Hollow, China Doll and Cassidy. The first of the two electric sets is no slouch as well with Jack Straw > Sugaree > Little Red Rooster and Let It Grow > Don’t Ease Me In being worth mentioning. The band plays and sounds great, especially during the acoustic songs. Will dig more into the rest of the shows during this run, cuz this is show's terrific!

Also earlier today I revisited 6/18/76 (Capitol Theatre). Peak '76 in my opinion, this show features the band playing laid back and relaxed yet precise and accurately. Highlights includes The Music Never Stopped, Cassidy, St. Stephen > NFA > St. Stephen, Crazy Fingers, Mission In The Rain, Eyes Of The World just to name a few. Jerry's solos are fantastic and they just excells at creating a very calm sound. By far my fave '76 show alongside the whole Dick's Picks Vol. 33 (which consists of two shows).

25. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

So brave, thank you for your service ! (I kid, I kid ;)). I think it will be a tough listen often with some positive surprises hopefully.