The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Where/how is the best way to listen to 8/6/71? I believe some of it has been released officially piecemeal over the years correct? Is there a recommended source, perhaps via internet archive?

All these years and never really heard this guy.

2. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I was watching the John Hughes flick Some Kind of Wonderful (1987) with my wife last night and when Eric Stolz and Lea Thompson are sitting at The Hollywood Bowl in their date scene, I had to point out to my wife that "the Dead played there." Not to be outdone, she said "so did Bugs Bunny."

[​IMG]

3. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I think the famous audience recording is on archive-amazing sound for the time. the sb and a matrix also circulate. Also a 5.1 of the matrix.

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

And Bugs brought the House down.

5. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

31 years ago I got on the bus at Riverfront, in Cincinnati. It was a true explosion of sight and sound...and a very good first show. Only lost one in my crewe that night. He spent the night in a cell with John Lennon.

Good Ol’ Grateful Dead!

6. it’s all dark star.

Crispy Rob, ARK, wavethatflag and 4 others like this.
  7. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Sorry no disagreeing with me is allowed. I kid, I kid. I like the 83 over 85 argument I get that. I think I lean towards 85 because of how crazy the setlists were and how strong the Oct/Nov run was.

8. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

It’s cuz ‘85 Jer sounds horrible. Can’t get past his voice. I don’t listen to ‘85 at all...never really did, setlist madness or not.

9. US Blues

C'mon, you din't like a mound of blow with your GD? :nyah:

10. US Blues

8 April 1972- Empire Pool, Wembley.

Catching up with this one this morning. A good show until we get to Dark Star, then the boys haul our the heavy duty jams.

It's nearly 20 part 11 here and I am just making my coffee, the world is topsy turvy. At least I got out to the transfer station this morning. And my house has not been more well organized since I moved here 2.5 years ago. :laugh:

11. Taylor16

Taylor16 Forum Resident

My favorite show of E72 and top-3 of all-time. The DS > Sugar Magnolia > Caution is incredible with such unbridled energy and fire. Also my choice for best PITB ever... Jerry pinging from the outer reaches of the galaxy :)

Crispy Rob, wavethatflag, SJR and 7 others like this.
  12. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

The 1st Dead tape I ever taped off the radio was the 6.21.89 summer solstice show --- in between a tune you can clearly hear someone yell out 'Alligator, Alligator' --- at the time I didn't know they even had a song called 'Alligator'.
    Anyway, the next month at my 1st show at Alpine, I yelled out 'Alligator, Alligator' --- people just kinda looked at me funny -- what can I say, I was a dorky 16 yr old who assumed that was something someone yelled out at a Dead show.

Now listening to 4.9.83.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  13. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

actually 6.21.1989

I think that Alligator guy was near me...

14. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Right - 6.21.89 --- still had time to edit the post, too - thanks.

15. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That’s the same as my understanding. Soap is better than alcohol, but alcohol is fine. I hadn’t thought about liquid vs bar soap, but if you are wetting and lathering up the bar, it should be equivalent.
    Bleach is best for surfaces. I made up a spray bottle with diluted bleach for that purpose. Important when using bleach is that it requires prolonged contact time. Surfaces should be left wet/damp with bleach. Quckily wiping dry will be less effective.

Also, I’m considering an experiment to see if the jam out of WRS from DiP 12 is powerful enough to destroy viruses. Maybe that vs the SPAC Dew?

16. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Aaahhh...Hampton. One of my favorite road trips.

Crispy Rob, wavethatflag and uzn007 like this.
  17. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I remember a few summers back when it hit 1,000 pages. I felt honored to post something at that milestone.

Crispy Rob, wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

so what is the date of the last alligator plated? it was never played without pigpen right?

19. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I think 4.29.71 might have been the last one.

20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

According to the SetList Program, it was. And even then they sort of pulled it out of mothballs as it hadn't been played since early November 1970.

21. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It's not my favorite era of his voice. In fact, it's my least favorite era of his voice. I still like his voice in this era though! I just like his voice. Sometimes I actually find the '85 voice funny...

...but amazingly, it was like a chrysalis from which emerged his best voice ever (87-91)

22. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Just revisited 4/2/73 (Boston Garden). One of the best shows of '73, featuring some really mesmerizing jams. The EOTW in particular has some fantastic jamming and the WRS just before is superb. A great Here Comes Sunshine is also a spellbinder and some of the other highlights includes Mississippi Half-Step, Me And Bobby McGee, China Doll, Ramble On Rose and Casey Jones. Keith really shines here (as he does on most '73 - '74 shows, granted). His playing really adds to the atmosphere here, so to speak.

It was a real while since I last listened to this show so it felt good giving it another spin.

23. bzfgt

It's a great Dark Star aside from that, too. Every Dark Star from April 1972 is gold. Best month for Dark Star ever.

24. US Blues

I'm saving my alcohol for internal use! :nyah:

In all sincerity, thank you @posnera for what you and your colleagues are doing in these challenging times. :righton:

25. bzfgt

It's funny, I'm a Deadhead but a lot of the usual Deadhead peripheral music doesn't do it for me...."2 Hrs 45 min on a Phish show from 1998 and the 'post Jerry' Dead era" basically sounds as appealing as a stick in the eye to me.