The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

You won’t regret snagging Cornell. I love vinyl. That show is great. And flippin’ is okay with me. Hell at an actual concert there are beer and bathroom breaks - I still need those at home. They press it, I’ll buy it.

2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

To put this in context, the jam in Playin' is typically over a Dminor chord (using a D Dorian scale), starting at 5:13 (I'm using the PNW box CD), Phil initiates a "root-fifth" sequence that moves from D to C, thus effectively removing the minor element. Jerry picks up on this "musical loophole in a Dorian jam" thing and the result is effectively a jam over D and C until 5:49, which is harmonically no different from the B to A chording in Fire on the Mountain. While this may have been some sort of genesis for Fire on the Mountain several years later, there are really only so many things one can do over such a simple set of changes, so this sounding like Fire isn't terribly surprising. But, good catch; that's essentially what it is.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. kevin

kevin Senior Member

now listening to 4/8/82[Syracuse NY]on TIGDH onSiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Feel Like A Stranger.

US Blues likes this.
  4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Hey @kevin :wave: Don't be a stranger. ;)

5. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Tonight's show; The Ark, 4/23/69.

6. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Gonna be a long long crazy crazy night.

notesofachord and US Blues like this.
  7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Three weeks after Patty Hearst was kidnapped from her flat a block away from the UC Berkeley dorm where I was living at the time.

Crispy Rob, tobyd, Archtop and 4 others like this.
  8. US Blues

Dick'sPick #18- "first set."

This is an amalgamation of 3 shows: 3, 4, and 5 February, 1978. The Dupree's Diamond Blues is sourced from the second set of the show in Milwaukee on 4 February.

Of course, the Milwaukee show should have been part of the 3 complete show box set...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  9. d3adf1sh

d3adf1sh Forum Resident

gotta put a vote in for 2/28/69 filmore which is still in print. One of Dick Latvala's favorites and most definitely essential dead. Was only available on cd as part of the filmore box set but there is an awesome soundboard available on archive.

Excellent excellent show. on fire from start to finish. really should have been a standalone cd release also or if nothing else been the final Dick's Pick to honor his legacy even though dave was already picking them at that point. Heck i got duped into making a night out of DP36 and got all excited because of all the reviews and while it's a decent show, It def wouldn't be in my dessert island bag. Maybe it was just bad timing on my part?? been a while since i heard it, but it def wasn't one of those shows that grabbed me by the balls... well, imo.. (and had to listen again tonight b4 making this comment) still not in my top 10. (just ok, nice dew tho!)
    and funny thing is dave said it almost was dick's picks #1 not sure that would have been a good idea? DP1 2nd disc is another classic. and was an excellent choice to kick off the series. i just, still to this day, can't believe they left off the encore. what a tragedy. especially with all the room left on the disc. i even burned my own disc with the encore from the charlie miller copy blended in to perfection. can't even tell they're from different sources. and even keep it in my dp1 case for when i need it.

10. goodfelladh

goodfelladh Forum Resident

My original plan for yesterday was to listen to 5/7/77, but after reading about how much people like the New Haven show, I figured why not start with 5/5/77 and then work through that run of shows. So yesterday was 5/5/77 and then I listened to 5/7/77 today - both were fantastic, though I definitely preferred 5/7. That 5/7 show has some strong contenders for favorites of a few songs - Peggy-O, Mississippi Half Step - and I'm currently in love with the 1977 version of Friend of the Devil.

On to Cornell tomorrow, which I had listened to for the first time a few weeks back. Then I'll keep moving through some of '77 shows.

11. trd

trd Forum Resident

6/24/85 II from the porch crusher

Great set if you like this era of the band. Bobby lyrics during Iko! Second Cryptical since 72, the bust out being just a week(ish) earlier in Berzerkeley. Comes A Time out of space :goodie:

12. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I listened to 5/5/77 for the first time in years recently, and it was definitely better than I remember, but 5/7 still comes out on top in my book. The Sugaree, Scarlet/Fire and St. Stephen from 5/5 are nothing to sneeze at, though, that's for sure.

13. uzn007

Any predictions for this week's Shakedown Stream?

I'm guessing we'll probably get a commercial release:

Sunshine Daydream?
    Dead Ahead?
    So Far?
    Ticket to New Year's?
    Downhill From Here?

I think I would be most excited about Ticket to New Year's since I haven't seen it in ages, and we've had a lot of 1989-90 already.

14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Do people groan when McCartney plays “Live and Let Die”for the 3,267th time?

:wave:

Probably not. But if they do - I get it.

laf848, KCWhistle and US Blues like this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I never did finish 11/17/71 the other night. Got too tired after the first set. Second set tonight. “Sugar Magnolia” was pure fiery rock n roll and “That's It for The Other One” is currently scraping holes and making cheese out of my grey matter. MUSIC EXPLODING EVERYWHERE!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you haven’t played this “Other One” in a while please revisit it. It’s better than you remembered!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  16. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

[​IMG]

budwhite and US Blues like this.
  17. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Absolutely! This was the very first Live set recommended to me by @Archtop I believe. Pure 4-LP Beauty... If you like their older stuff, also most definitely the 1967 3-LP Shrine Auditorium set too!

18. US Blues

[​IMG]

notesofachord, KCWhistle, trd and 4 others like this.
  19. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I own a lot of Live/Dead on vinyl because it was so rare and hard to come by at one point but now that there are 2-3 releases a year I’ve stopped buying everything.

Hard to do a top 5... but here’s what I listen to most:

Europe 72
    Europe 72 Vol II
    Sunshine Daydream
    Houston, Texas 11/18/72
    Portland, Oregon 5/19/74
    One From The Vault
    Cornell
    Dicks Picks 3
    Without a Net
    So Glad You Made It
    Saint of Circumstance

ok it turned into a top11...

20. goodfelladh

goodfelladh Forum Resident

Following up on my post from yesterday, I'm listening to Cornell now and it's so awesome. Like I said, I think I'm going to continue on through a string of '77 shows. Since everyone seems to almost universally love '77, I'd love to hear anyone's particular recommendations for shows to make sure I hit in plowing through some shows from that year - and for '78 for that matter once I finally keep the train moving into the next year. I am at least going to move to 5/9/77 next, and then looking at 5/17 and 5/28.

I'm sure recommendation questions like this come up often, but figured I'd throw it out there yet again.

21. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Wait til you get to fall!

SJR, jmadad, notesofachord and 5 others like this.
  22. US Blues

I'd offer the suggestion to work your way through the whole month, taking breaks as needed. One thing about the GD is that each tour had it's own feel and flavor, and exploring tours in this manner can be interesting to understand some of the inner dynamics of the band.

And when you get to '78 I may have a suggestion or two as well. ;)

Crispy Rob, SJR, KCWhistle and 8 others like this.
  23. uzn007

Essential '77, IMO:

2-26
    3-19
    4-23
    5-1
    5-7
    5-8
    5-9
    5-19
    5-21
    5-22
    6-9
    10-29
    11-4

For '78:

1-22
    2-3
    2-5
    4-15
    4-24

There are a bunch of great shows from April '78 but I don't know which other ones to recommend, specifically. I know 4-16-78 has a lot of admirers.
    There are also, definitely, more great shows from October and November of '77 worth checking out but again, I don't have specific recommendations. The "Fall '77" Road Trips volume is great.

Crispy Rob, SJR, KCWhistle and 7 others like this.
  24. uzn007

I should have mentioned that January 1978 tour in California. Mostly audience tapes but there's some great stuff in there, Bakersfield, Fresno, etc.

Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  25. US Blues

LA, Santa Barbara, etc.

uzn007 likes this.