The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Hopefully this won’t mean six more weeks of Vince winter, but when it’s right it’s right.

bzfgt, US Blues and uzn007 like this.
  2. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

One of the 7/28/73 reviews on the Archive states “We were close to the area in front where the performers relaxed all day and I counted Lesh opening 24 Heinekins [sic].” That review was posted in May 2020 so assuming it’s a real account the memory of the quantity may be fuzzy. But nonetheless the party may have impacted the performances. Still some good stuff though; even not top shelf ‘73 is still darn good (not that you suggested it isn’t).

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

4. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Sounds about right

adamos likes this.
  5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I've got yogurt and miso on hand for countering culture.

ARK and warewolf95 like this.
  6. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Thanks, pal!

warewolf95 and US Blues like this.
  8. bzfgt

Didn't the spinners think Jerry was like an avatar of God and Weir was from the dark side or something? I hate to misrepresent their theology but I seem to remember something like that...

sami, frightwigwam and budwhite like this.
  9. bzfgt

No need, that was the other big highlight of the first set for me, great Jack Straw too. And I've heard it all a zillion times.

As I said, the first set today hit me as solid but not wildly exciting, I said that without exaggeration in either direction; in other words, a really solid set. "Wildly exciting" is a fairly high (though by no means unreachable) bar. I can see how it might have seemed like I was saying "kind of lame set," but that is not what I meant at all.

10. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

[​IMG]

11. bzfgt

That's what I always thought since I was a kid, but Hunter's comments suggest it could be the reverse

warewolf95 and KeninDC like this.
  12. bzfgt

I think that interpretation is defensible based on the lyrics, but it's creepy and I don't like it, so since there's nothing in Hunter's comment or the lyrics that necessitate that interpretation, I will reject it (for myself)

13. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Today I listened to 12/5/71 (Felt Forum). A great late-'71 show. Highlights includes a terrific Dark Star > Me And My Uncle > Dark Star and NFA > GDTRFB > NFA. Phil is dominating these versions, his bass is floating and swimming across the soundscape. Pigpen brings great performances on Mr Charlie and Big Boss Man. Bertha, Sitting On Top Of The World, You Win Again and Brown-Eyed Women are other highlights.

Earlier in the day I listened to 8/24/72 (Berkeley Community Theater). An excellent show with an outer worldly Dark Star and Morning Dew. Great Promised Land, Truckin' and UJB as well. Definitely one of the very best '72-shows.

14. dsdu

15. bzfgt

Or as I like to say-- Ergot, ¡Olé!

Them was the days, my son, them was the days...

16. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I forget, I know you do this from time to time, but what's your hiatus schedule? I very unintentionally took May off after the new Dave's -- I dabbled here and there but certainly didn't listen to full albums or shows or anything like that -- and that was the longest break I've taken since I started getting reacquainted with the Dead a few years ago. I am back, though. Skull & Roses this morning during my walk, gonna dig into Ladies & Gentlemen next.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  17. bzfgt

1982-08-03 Starlight Theater (Theatre maybe?). I am listening to the Matrix, I don't think I realized how great Half Step>Franklins Tower is, because I remember it being really dodgy on the SBD. Jerry is killing it.

18. bzfgt

Generally June or July through November or December on, Jan.-May off, more or less. Usually very heavy from whenever I start until around September, and then other stuff starts to make its way into rotation in the Fall. This time I'm hoping to keep a few other things going through the summer, but that is a difficult thing to do...we'll see.

warewolf95 and KCWhistle like this.
  19. dsdu

culture
    [​IMG]

counterculture
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  20. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Great, now you're not only back listening to the GD, you're channeling @Duffy Shrimpton. No doubt he'll be along shortly with tall tales about the doings of mad dogs and Englishmen of his proper acquaintance.

21. bzfgt

I just left him at the Arms, mate...I reckon he was well swozzled

22. bzfgt

1982-08-03 Did we include this Peggy-O in our tournament? It's righteous...

23. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Yes, that was one of the pleasant surprises of the tourney for me; I still revisit it and that show every now and then. It advanced a couple rounds before getting taken out by 4/12/78 Duke.

Crispy Rob, warewolf95, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Is it creepy or is it realistic? Think of it as some dope-headed youngster who thinks she's meeting God if you don't want to think of it as a sexual encounter. In retrospect, it definitely feels like one of those songs that Jerry was singing to the crowd (esp. in the latter days), even if it wasn't conceived as such originally.

warewolf95 and bzfgt like this.
  25. bzfgt

1982-08-03 Jerry is pre-midi but he gets his guitar to sound like a horn in some way on the last Cumberland solo and the last two Althea solos...subtle but effective. It's kind of cool though when he really plays horn sounds, though...I know that's disliked by many here, but I can dig it.

Very good Althea although rated too highly on Heady Version...it is quite remarkable how many great Altheas there are.

Outstanding Cassidy here too.