The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Today I listened to 3/24/73 (The Spectrum). An amazing show. The 19-min PITB on here is just spell-binding. Great Bertha, Don't Ease Me In, Here Comes Sunshine and Jack Straw as well. One of my all-time fave '73 shows, it’s excellent from beginning to end.

Also earlier in the day I listened to 2/11/69 (Fillmore East). This has long been my absolute fave '69-show, and while it's certainly still up there it's of course a lot of competition for that title. Having really been in a 60's-mood lately, and it’s not the first time, it really is a treat to revisit this show. The highlights includes Dark Star, The Other One, Good Morning Little School Girl, St. Stephen and Caution. The music is a poweful force of nature and the band succeeds in taming it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I will be downloading these tonight. I’ve stopped doing much downloading now that the archive is so easy to access, but these deserve a pseudo-boxset in my library.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

In those days, they usually didn't START playing until after they'd dropped...

4. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Sorry, but what do you mean by the new CM master of 2/15/73? I'm not great with dates when it comes to Dead shows, but I don't believe that's an official release is it?

US Blues likes this.
  5. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

[​IMG]

mBen989, ARK, Matthew Tate and 4 others like this.
  6. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

It just means Charlie Miller release a newly upgraded master of the show to the usual download and/or other sources like the Archive or Relisten.

US Blues, ianuaditis and sparkmeister like this.
  7. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Okay, thanks. I tend not to listen to Archives or Relisten, preferring the offical releases but this has got me curious. I need more '73 in my life (and '71, but don't we all eh?)

US Blues likes this.
  8. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

This reminds me, Karen Gillan, who played Amy Pond on Doctor Who, posted this picture of herself last month on Twitter:

[​IMG]

ARK, Dahabenzapple, budwhite and 11 others like this.
  9. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Listened to Dave's Picks 32 (3/24/73) today. Truckin' pretty much made my day.

Edit: Just saw Frosst's comment, noice

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  10. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Dang, you had a good day! (Posted from the office).

Frosst, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

1973-02-21 Most notable for a Dark Star I had never heard before. Bertha cuts in on the solo; par Here Comes Sunshine and China>Rider; nice PiTB; hot hot GSET to open second set; good BEW and Bobby McGee; WRS prelude into a Dark Star I have never heard, it’s a wild one, 21 minutes long and about half is deep space; into another Eyes, pretty good version...

Crispy Rob, ARK, Billy_Sunday and 8 others like this.
  12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:tiphat:

That set ;) (show) is all killer.

Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  13. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 7/1/73[Universal Amphitheater]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing El Paso.

14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

That's a close second, just pipping @notesofachord's Alligator > Caution > Feedback.

:laugh: :winkgrin:

15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Jerry Moore's tape, not Charlie's

budwhite and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

35 years ago tonight.......one of the best Grateful Dead shows of the 1980s. My 10th GD concert........and first big one where all the planets lined up correctly and mystical powers were in full force, and the band took the music to a different special magical stratosphere.

The previous night was great with the best “Shakedown Street” ever, “Cryptical” (the only time I ever saw it), and other great stuff.......but tonight was another level.

I listed 7/1/85 as one of my 5 favorite shows in that other thread and still feel that way. I’m going to listen to it again tonight.

17. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I found the shows with multitrack patches for 4/26-4/29 but not 4/25. There is a Miller with patches, but it doesn't say multitrack.
    gd1971-04-25.095625.sbd.miller.sbeok.flac16
    Is this the preferred source?

US Blues likes this.
  18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The primary source tape is a 2 track recording made by someone at the FE. DL2 provided tidbits of the multitrack recordings from an existing rough mix to patch gaps in the 2 track. This may not be indicated in the text file, but it is the way this was done. The objective was to have a "complete" source since the multitrack could not be used to complete a box set. I hope I've explained this clearly.

budwhite likes this.
  19. US Blues

Of course, you're talking about 21 March 1973- Utica.

Great show, the next night is also a stunner. In Utica? Really?

20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yes, thank you, I just saw that in my notes and was coming here to correct it.

Stunner is right:

1973-03-22 Bird Song beautiful, nice stuff after 2nd verse; China>Rider is very nice, good Garcia prior to FG; good but maybe not spectacular PiTB; really good HCS, I don’t know if it’s that much better than the day before, or if it’s just that Jerry’s guitar is louder; outstanding Truckin’>Other One>Eyes>China Doll: great Nobody’s Fault-style jamming at end of Truckin’, which is completely outstanding, and goes right into Other One with no Phil solo nonsense; really intense Other One, everything you could really want out of Other One, and I thought it was better than the last several, going back to 2-19 (yes, February 19); Garcia great on Eyes, which is a top version, maybe a little raggedyness with the end lick but that happens 99% of the time; beautiful China Doll. Great, great concert.

21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Garcia's genius is a given, but listening to this Angel's Share / Workingman's sessions thing I'm just swooning anew at Weir's 1970 live in the studio stylings. He had become a ridiculously good guitar player by this point.

22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That is very clear. The thing I noticed was that the text files for the other 4 shows clearly stated that the patches were from the multis. Not a big deal, just wanted to do this once correctly.

budwhite and US Blues like this.
  23. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

How can that be true? If so, saddest news I've heard in a long time.

Zafu

ARK, Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  24. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Hmm... Is it bad form to refer to a concert as a 'show?' :shrug:

SJR likes this.
  25. US Blues

:hugs:

ARK, Zafu and uzn007 like this.