The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

That makes 4/5/93’s 2nd set look good by comparison.

Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  2. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

Sure, just like 94 Highgate was "94 good" and Boston 10-1-94 was "94 great". (Although I enjoyed Boston 10-3-94 more than 10-1-94 but to each there own!)
    95 Highgate was just 90's bad for many reasons. :(

Crispy Rob, ARK, trd and 1 other person like this.
  3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

IWT. My last dead show. And I didn't do the Sunday show. :cussing:

footlooseman, ARK, tobyd and 2 others like this.
  4. diamondstylus

I was at that one with my GF and we were not getting on so well and the show just made the drive home that much more painful! That is literally the only GD show that was blocked out my memory for a while and I saw about 60.

footlooseman, ARK, US Blues and 5 others like this.
  5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

On dead.net this said:

Artist: Grateful Dead
    Title: Workingman's Dead: The Angel's Share
    Year Of Release: 2020
    Label: Grateful Dead/Rhino
    Genre: Rock
    Total Time: 02:31:31
    Posted by :Lovemygirl on Wed, 07/01/2020 - 03:32

Something connected to the Working Man's Dead deluxe 50th 3 disc set I'd imagine.

Stream here: Stream The Grateful Dead's New Outtakes Collection 'Workingman's Dead: The Angel's Share'

ARK, WorldB3 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. diamondstylus

My last show was Highgate 95 and it was not going out on a high note.

Erik B. likes this.
  7. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

1st show on the PNW Box Set June 22, 1973 – P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, British Columbia

8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Have you seen that second set setlist ? oy vey.

footlooseman likes this.
  9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Highgate 1995’s setlist looks pretty good on paper........but the performance was rollin’ and fumblin’.

10. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

was it a long,long, long way to go home?

11. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

That's what I did and it didn't seem to work. I'll have another go but some kind members here have PMed me in the meantime...if you know what I mean.

ARK and SJR like this.
  13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

No worries :righton: I hope you get it sorted.

ARK likes this.
  14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The surreptitious taper for most of the FE 4/71 shows was Buddy Miller, now a fairly well known guitarist, perhaps most well known around here as a leader of Emmylou Harris‘ Spyboy Band and a participant in some Jerry Garcia tributes earlier this century

KCWhistle, Crispy Rob, adamos and 6 others like this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

footlooseman, Crispy Rob, trd and 6 others like this.
  16. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It was 32 years ago today...

[​IMG]

Apparently the place is still open, although I distinctly remember that it was a figure-8 track when we were there.

[​IMG]

footlooseman, Crispy Rob, SJR and 4 others like this.
  17. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

Also listening to 7/2/88 Oxford, Maine, and it's good. Lots of Phil bass bombs in the mix, and plenty of solid versions of good songs. A solid, worth a listen, in my opinion. 32 years ago today. I wasn't there, but I wish I was.

footlooseman, Crispy Rob, SJR and 3 others like this.
  18. uzn007

My dear friend, as "Sugar Magnolia" started up: "What is this, a greatest hits show?" o_O

19. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I think I have posted this here before but here's DLII's post on the old DNC site about the April 1971 FE tapes:

D. Lemieux - Sep 7, 2000 3:03 pm

Some notes

Hey now. I have been avoiding posting this, but in light of recent posts about the "hacking up" of the Fillmore 71 shows, I just have to say something (defend ourselves from?) some unfair, or perhaps under-informed, criticism.

I hold before me a box that was created for a 15 CD set that was to be the entire Fillmore 71 run, complete. Three CDs per night. Five triple jewel cases. We had package design under way, and it was going to be meant as an accompaniment to the 4 CD set we are working on, not instead of it.

Then, as we got further into listening to some of this stuff, we found that this plan was not feasible for many very legitimate reasons. And, allow me to say, these reasons had nothing to do with the obvious weaker aspects of some of the performances. It was going to be a 15 CD set, warts and all. The biggest problem we found was that, in the course of making Skull****, many songs from this run were considered for that album. Those that were were removed from the master reels and placed on individual reels. These were then subject to overdubs, including several songs that got halfway through the overdubbing process and were then abandoned, meaning you have a Jerry vocal part, for example, that is erased, and then certain sections overdubbed into it, leaving gaps in the music where there is no singing (where there should be). There are too many examples of this, both instrumental and vocal, to go into, but suffice it to say it made many songs unreleasable. Then there is the material on Skull****, which we can't use: 4/26's Wharf Rat, 4/28's The Other One, and some other great things. Then there is the time it would take to mix and master this 15 CD project, which would be 6 months or more (I think there are 128 songs in total), meaning the release rate of DPs would suffer, as would videos, as would all of the other cool things we have planned for the next year or so. There are some other reasons why the 15 CD set was unfeasible, but the above reasons were things that could not really be overcome.

Believe me when I say there were serious discussions about doing this as a 15 CD set, all 5 nights complete. I have the cube that was to house this 5 triple jewel case release to prove it :) So, thanks for the suggestion, Maxi, of aiko getting a job here so that he can get tptbc to know that this shoulda been a 15 CD release, but it just wasn't feasible :) And we all know that the Fillmore West 69 run is a better candidate for this sort of release based on performance. We understand that you (many Deadheads) wanted this as a 15 CD release, but it couldn't be done, try as hard as we did to get it approved and begun. Our apologies to those who really wanted the 15 CD set, but to those of you who think that its absence is due to the "C" in tptbc, please understand that we tried. Very hard.

The 4 CDs we have for you, with just about 5 hours music on them and 41 songs, is the best we could do. And, we feel, it is a great representation of those shows in light of the fact that releasing all 128 songs was impossible. It is three days away from being completed, and we are pleased with how it has turned out. It is our hope you'll all agree.

Thanks for listening to this verbose explanation of why we are releasing this as a 4 CD set. Feel free to write with any questions, but please accept the sincerity of this explanation. We did our best. Stay in touch.

David L.

20. goodfelladh

goodfelladh Forum Resident

OK back to the Dead for me and I figured that after going thru the entire May '77 run, why not jump into another legendary set of shows? So I started at the top of the Europe '72 tour with 4/7/72. As expected, just a really good show, everything flowed really well, but it was probably the China Cat Sunflower->I Know You Rider that stood out most. My plan is to start driving through all of the Europe '72 shows (mixed in with the Jerry solo and ABB stuff I've been listening to lately, as well) and see how it goes...really looking forward to it. I've listened to maybe 3-4 of these shows previously, so most everything will be fresh to me.

KCWhistle, Crispy Rob, SJR and 5 others like this.
  21. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

There ain't nothing like a Grateful Dead show!

Crispy Rob, ARK, SJR and 3 others like this.
  22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Cool, never heard of that. Was he part of the Dead crew or the Fillmore crew or did the record company send him?

ianuaditis likes this.
  23. uzn007

Listening to my favorite "Crazy Fingers" right now...

footlooseman, Crispy Rob, SJR and 6 others like this.
  24. uzn007

Gone are the days...

footlooseman, SJR, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Jim Walker "like"d this and reminded me I said it...it made sense to me at the time.

I think it was the idea that someone might have one feature that is not defining of what they're all about. Maybe.