The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

In at least a couple of cases, if not more, there were instrumental overdubs as well. For example, Keith’s piano on One More Saturday Night and the fake Morning Dew ending (they made it sound like it ended, but at the concert they actually go back into The Other One).

Billy_Sunday, budwhite, ARK and 4 others like this.
  2. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

7/18/76 Orpheum Theatre - listening to the recent CM transfer of the pre-FM. This is a well-known show so I'll just say that the first set is a little sleepy (dreamy?) at times but I like the vibe. Nice Scarlet Begonias. And certain lyrics notwithstanding Bob and Donna together on Looks Like Rain is a lovely thing.

I'm in the midst of the second set now - there's a "near Dark Star" moment at the end of Let It Grow that @ianuaditis mentioned a while back which then transitions smoothly into Wharf Rat.

3. notesofachord

Another big favorite of mine from that era is

“Alice D. Millionaire”

4. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Today I listened to 7/2/89 (Sullivan Stadium). A great and tight show. Highlights includes Cassidy, Crazy Fingers, Dear Mr. Fantasy > Hey Jude, PITB, To Lay Me Down and Mighty Quinn. The band plays with vigor and the result is striking. They really were on during this tour, 1989 was such a spectacular year.

Earlier in the day I listened to 12/6/73 (Public Hall). One of the very best shows of all time, top 5 for '73 IMO. One-of-a-kind Dark Star, incredible Eyes Of The World, possibly the best Stella Blue and a perfect Big River are all truly some of the highlights. I have to say that I've always found December to be the best month in '73 for GD. This show is just another proof of that, and it helps that my two fave shows of the year are from the same month as well.

5. notesofachord

Dude, The Labor Temple Dark Star is amazing. Listen again.

[​IMG]

6. notesofachord

It’s in the bottom ten of the thirty shows in the box, but still very good. Give it a spin!

Crispy Rob, mike s in nyc and trd like this.
  7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

"Stagger Lee" (studio version) sounds exactly like a Band song.

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

laf848, ARK, warewolf95 and 9 others like this.
  10. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I looove that shoe, green is my fave color and the green/blue combo, yeah! ("whaletail" stealie as well). I wonder if they will ever come out with a Phil Jackson inspired shoe? I got to meet him in college, his nephew was in my frat in Chitown. Also randomly ran into his nephew many years after graduation at Further Fest at the Santa Barbara Bowl (great sounding venue and great venue period). Small world? Not so much in GDLand. "Don't tell me this town ain't got no soul."

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Of course, you are talking about 21 September 1973 from the Philadelphia Spectrum. :wave:

12. Ilusndweller

I see Slightly Stoopid was supposed to play the Santa Barbara Bowl 3 days ago. And Bobby wears an Apple watch.

// My bad they were rescheduled for 7/11/2021. I have taped Karl Denson's Tiny Universe (and Robert Walter's 20th Congress, and the Greyboy Allstars) a bunch. I see Chali 2na is on the latest SS album. Loved seeing Ozomatli at their weekly gig at The Dragonfly in L.A.(same place the Chili Peppers used to have a weekly gig).

13. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Forget it, he's rolling.

budwhite, bzfgt, warewolf95 and 4 others like this.
  14. Ilusndweller

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

I never really noticed (I usually skip their take on it - it doesn’t really add to or improve the song for me, similar to their Dylan covers), but does he sing that every time (like every time they played it) or just slip on it here and there?

Also speaking of Dylan covers, while I find the Dead versions to be a little tedious at best, solo Garcia and JGB Dylan covers are absolutely sublime. Check out Simple Twist of Fate from Garcialive Vol 1, 3/1/80 for a great example. Just pure soulfulness down to the bone, and Jerry’s soloing, and the screaming unhinged mournful tone he achieves as it progresses in the second solo through the end, as he continues to up the ante, is stone cold amazing.

16. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 7/7/81[Kansas City]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing New New Minglewood Blues.

US Blues and trd like this.
  17. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I've really warmed to the GD Dylan covers. Listening to the spring 90 shows helped. I should relisten to Postcards of the Hanging and see how I feel about that now. I agree, though, that solo/JGB Garcia Dylan is really something -- the Garcia Plays Dylan comp is superb.

@ianuaditis may have something to say re: Me and Bobby McGee (which one is it? 7/19/74?), but 10/16/74, 3/24/73, and 10/21/71 are three I remember just loving. I think that's turned into one of my favorites among their cover songs.

trd, Crispy Rob, ratstack and 2 others like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I've heard a couple different live versions, and they sing "nothing left to do" every time. :shrug: If I ever hear one from the early '70s with the correct lyrics, I'll post it for y'all. :)

I'll check out that Dylan cover. It's one of my favorites by him.

KCWhistle, ianuaditis and ratstack like this.
  19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Check again. They sing do the first time and lose the second time on most versions I've heard. (I'm hedging against saying 'invariably,' though I have listened to at least 80% of all the performances.) I believe I made a post about it somewhere back in 2016-17 in this thread.

Mileage varies but to me it's a tiny change that's a substantial improvement to the lyrics. When the narrator and Bobby are together freedom has a different aspect than after he lets her go.

7-19-74 has one of the best Garcia solos, but they almost always turned in a stellar performance of that song.

20. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

12.29.77 - Winterland
    Dick’s Picks 10
    I didn’t have a ton of DP when I first got into the band in college, but this is one I picked up and listened to all the time. Didn’t know too much about them at the time, but I wore this out.

[​IMG]

21. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

1973-09-24 Solid, not spectacular show; Pittsburgh Solid Big River, China>Rider, GSET; Truckin’>Nobody’s Fault>Eyes>WRS; Jerry sings Nobody’s Fault, Eyes and WRS with horns. All pretty good. Sugar Mag with horns, solid.

22. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Manhattan Center, 4/6/71, Betty board. I’m a Hog For You Baby, Oh Boy - rarities I don’t have any other versions of, fantastic sound!

23. notesofachord

Grooving to 12/12/70. Don't think I've ever heard this one before. Starts out average, but has some really nice stuff starting with the China>Rider. The "King Bee" is awesome. I love these early Sugar Magnolias with Jerry using a wah pedal to emulate a pedal steel.

Grateful Dead
    Venue Sonoma County Fairgrounds
    Location Santa Rosa, CA
    Date 12/12/70 - Saturday posters tickets, passes & laminates

One [40:56] ; Me And My Uncle [#2:39] ; Loony Tunes Tuning [1:25] ; Truckin' [7:31] ; [0:34] ; Brokedown Palace (1) [6:09] ; [2:20] ; Hard To Handle [6:54] ; [0:23] ; Mama Tried [2:28] ; [0:15] ; China Cat Sunflower [2:57] > Jam [3:03] > I Know You Rider [4:07] ; [0:09]

Two [1:18:44] ; Big Railroad Blues [#4:28] ; [0:37] ; I'm A King Bee [8:15] ; [0:09] ; Sugar Magnolia [5:43] ; [0:24] % Casey Jones [4:26] % [0:08] ; Dire Wolf [3:41] ; [0:31] ; Cryptical Envelopment [2:03] > Drums [1:33] > The Other One [8:43#] % Not Fade Away [#4:18] > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [4:51] > Not Fade Away [0:23] > Darkness Jam [1:46] > Saint Stephen Jam [1:02] > Space Jam [0:23] > Not Fade Away [1:44] ; [1:17] ; Good Lovin' [1:53] > Drums [1:11] > Good Lovin' [11:46] > Uncle John's Band [7:31]

[​IMG]

Apparently, there's a massive cut in The Other One, which is a bummer and one reason why this show will never get an official release. Well, and it's, I suppose, average for the era (but WHAT an era!).

A soundboard tape from the back half of 1970 is pure gold though...

Update: although it's less than nine minutes long with the cut, The Other One is very tasty and well worth a listen for anyone that just wants to sample this show. At one point, they drop into a very quiet, open space, like they did on Dark Star in this era.

24. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Good reference. Like the Germans bombing pearl harbor.

budwhite, ratstack, trd and 1 other person like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

starting 7/13/89 RFK box