The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

8/2/76 is a good show. This AUD-tape is nice, warm sounding, has a fair amount of crowd noise, but not so much the band doesn’t come through; you feel you’re there, in the 10th row. Great set list, great playing, strong first set, and second set jams. An all around really good ‘70s dead show, IMHO.

8/2/76 Colt Park, CT

2. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

As @Archtop will tell you, that doesn't always matter. If it's a guitar specific transcription, I can pretty much guarantee it'd be in Ab, depending on how you slice it. (Fm is the relative minor to Ab). For a piano/vocal/guitar score, Em (or G - the relative major) is easier to work with, I assume, for most people, which is why they do it that way.

That one semi-tone makes a big difference!

bzfgt, Archtop and US Blues like this.
  3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Let's ask @warewolf95 since he's our resident expert in Semi's. :uhhuh:

4. US Blues

It's like what Uncle Bobo once said about the GD: "They're not just a band, they're an environment."

Dark Star isn't just a song with lyrics, melody, and rhythm- it's a state of consciousness. In just the same way that one can dip into a meditative state for a few moments here and there during the day, that is different from intentionally entering meditation. So just as Jerry felt they dipped into Dark Star on occasion during other tunes, that is not the same as intentionally entering Dark Star.

Thus I have heard.

Billy_Sunday, adamos, Frosst and 7 others like this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]

Disc 2:

Scarlet Begonias >
    Fire on the Mountain
    Dancing in the Street >
    Rhythm Devils >
    Not Fade Away >
    Stella Blue >
    Sugar Magnolia
    Werewolves of London

6. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

My own favorite Scarlet is 3/20/77, which reaches a dramatic pinnacle unknown to other Scarlets.
    But 2/27/77, 10/14/76, and 12/31/76 are pretty good too.

7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Took a ride to pick up some breakfast, I had a Jefferson Airplane comp in the car, Garcia on guitar on this:

I got Surrealistic Pillow after reading a middle school reference book about Jefferson Airplane, and recognizing the famous songs from Vietnam movies.

This song was the first on that album outside of the 2 singles to grab my attention.

It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I learned that Garcia played on it.

8. US Blues

I gotta say- it's great to know you are listening to the GD again and sharing the fun with us here. :righton:

9. US Blues

That's a good one!

Perhaps worth noting is that pre- and post-hiatus stand-alone Scarlet's are very different from one another, in some ways like a different song.

Woodville and trd like this.
  10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I’m sure I mentioned earlier in the 4679 pages that while I liked “Victim” from the beginning, this was the show that got me to love it. Such a great move to play it at the (almost) beginning of the new dickhead, I mean decade when everyone was still celebrating.......but then also the deep end jam connecting to “Dark Star.”

The “Dark Star” itself was enjoyable, but short.....and didn’t get out there like 10/9/89, 10/26/89, 3/29/90, 7/12/90 and others.

11. ianuaditis

You did mention it in my (since closed) Victim or the Crime thread:
    Any Fans of the Grateful Dead's "Victim or the Crime?"

Crispy Rob, trd, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  12. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

And still glorious as it was when it first came out.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I never heard 3-20-77, I'll have to listen to that too

Crispy Rob, Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  14. bzfgt

So what is the longest known Dead show? I feel like @ianuaditis knows, but maybe @pbuzby would too...how long is that 5-15-70 show all told? Is that the longest?

This might have been discussed before, it seems familiar

ianuaditis likes this.
  15. ianuaditis

The full 'Evening with the Grateful Dead' program, with both sets plus the New Riders is out there in the usual places

16. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

Speaking of 3-20-77 -- come for the Scarlet, stick around for the Stephen>Other One. The jam in Stephen is pretty unusual, like a Here Comes Sunshine jam stuffed into Stephen, and then at the end of the Other One, Jerry & Phil go full-on Bach.

17. bzfgt

Yeah I don't see it as just a pretext to jam, there is something magical and inspiring about the structures in Dark Star and they seem to lead to particularly good things when they are departed from.

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

5-15-70 was two shows on the same night. They did the same 2-13-70 and 2-14-70, and other dates at the Fillmore that year.

I'm not sure offhand what the longest single show was. Maybe 6-10-73?

19. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

6/10/73?

The 5/15/70 show wouldn't count the NRPS set, and technically includes both an early and a late show.

US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. bzfgt

OK I went back to that. I listened to that Scarlet, which does have quite a peak, and a sort of FOTM-ish one to boot, which maybe sheds light on why they soon decided to pair them...then I listened to the and jam of 10-14 which also peaks in a somewhat similar manner

21. bzfgt

How long is that counting both shows though, anyone know? Wikipedia has the length of the RT but it's not complete I don't think

frightwigwam and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. bzfgt

Yeah the St. Stephen jam is hypnotic!

US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

As a single show I do believe 6/10/73 is the longest on record. And following the allmans and wet willie that was one very long day believe me.

24. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

And now his watch is ended. TFG.

bzfgt likes this.
  25. bzfgt

Yeah this is great, I don't know why I never heard this show. Totally vicious. There's a guy named Mr Snow with a similar avatar